Only Christian Music

R

randyness

Some people listen to only Christian music. As a new Christian I did this but as time has gone by I have quckly become borred with the options given in the Christian Music realm. There are multiple reasons but I feel it all boils down to the fact that any time Christian music does anything "new" they mimic secular music. Why not just listen to the unfilthy secular music then? Shouldnt it be the other way around, shouldnt Christian music be so good and different that secular music mimics it? That how it was in the days of classicla music. Why not now?

HEsTiLLALiVe

Sep 14, 2012
✟15,292.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why not sing to GOD with your heart, that's better than the potions, (excuse me) options, the "Church World" is offering these days. And you're absolutely right about so many "believers" conforming to the world rather than being transformed, for I was one of them. That's probably why you feel this way and there's so much that can be said about the music, because it's all spitritual. If it's not HOLY SPIRIT FILLED, then is not going to produce good fruit. And I was wondering for about the last month or so, FATHER why when I sleep at night listening to "christian music" am I having these bad dreams. But then The FATHER OF LIGHTS reminded me that HIS Words arespirit and life (John 6:63). Then he reminded me and gave me an understading that Holy Sprit will guide us into ALL TRUTH. And as of recently I have been reminded of the importance of loving HIM 1st and enduring sound doctrine, which at one time I was dormant to as are many still but that is only becuase of our own selfisness. But by the grace of GOD, he is slowly awaking my heart to HIS truth and slowly taking me out of babylon, for HIS glory. Mind you babylon is not just the econmic, social, or religious system, but it's just all this rebellion against true holiness, according to The Word of GOD and, GOD setting us apart. But GOD is still perfect and so is HIS Word. If you trust HIM you'll fall in love with HIM and never be ashamed (Prvb. 3:5-6 )(Rom. 1:11)

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Randyness,

I understand what you're saying. I've been collecting music for nearly 40 years, so I have a huge library of Christian music now. 99% of it has never been played on "Christian" radio stations.

If you look around, you can find some genuinely good music by Christians.
The 77s DVD is here!! - YouTube

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's between you and God and how convicted you feel about what you listen to. Personally, I find a majority of Christian music to be boring and poor imitations of other artists. That's not to say that it's all bad or that they're not putting out some good stuff here and there, but 99% of what I like is in the secular realm. I don't feel that it affects my walk with God and there's not much that would be classified as vile or profane; it's just what I enjoy.

There are also many secular bands, such as U2, Switchfoot, and The Gaslight Anthem that have Christian members and have uplifting lyrics. It doesn't have to be sold in a Christian bookstore in order to be worship music or positive. Find what you enjoy and just make sure it doesn't hinder your relationship with Christ.:)

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I spent my entire life surrounded by music, so naturally it has a big impact on me. There was a time in my life that I actually felt I should only listen to music with Christian lyrics (that is, only songs that mentioned God, Jesus, prayer, going to church, and so on). I do remember attending an Amy Grant concert when I was about 11 or so (the Unguarded tour, I think), so she was my first real influence when it comes to Christian music. I then started to collect a lot of Christian music, starting with Amy Grant, and my collection grew with time. I also remember as a teenager (and a very impressionable teenager) when many folks were raising a stink about some of the Christian artists "crossing over" and recording nonChristian (but clean and moral) music. Many people (in stricter circles) believed such artists were "compromising their Christian standards". I bought into that, as well, thinking that if the name of God wasn't mentioned at least once in a song, it wasn't fit for the ears of a true Bible-believing Christian (even though I did play around with the radio and listen to snippets of mainstream music for "comparison" purposes). Well, after a process of growth and casual research of this and other issues within the realm of Christianity, I have arrived at a completely different conclusion. I know a few here might disagree, but I actually find nothing wrong with some mainstream music, provided the lyrics do not go against Biblical principles. And I have actually found that there is a lot of songs that fit that criteria, even though they are not blatantly Christian. To me, this is no different than watching a wholesome and/or educational movie or TV show or reading books/periodicals of the same nature. I just don't think God would have anything against such things. That being said, I enjoy a variety of music, Christian or otherwise, and I take great care that the nonChristian music I do listen to fits the Philippians 4:8 test.

It's just another one of those Romans 14 "doubtful things" that everyone seems to have different convictions about.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually find nothing wrong with some mainstream music, provided the lyrics do not go against Biblical principles. And I have actually found that there is a lot of songs that fit that criteria, even though they are not blatantly Christian. To me, this is no different than watching a wholesome and/or educational movie or TV show or reading books/periodicals of the same nature. I just don't think God would have anything against such things.

I tend to fall into this camp as well. I love music, always have. Have lots of Christian and secular. Don't think anything is wrong with it.

To the OP, as others have said there is a wide variety of good Christian music out there right now. I am totally bored with the playlist on Sirius XM's "The Message" personally - to me much of it seems to be in the same basic genre and not always the best of that genre. Don't have K-Love or Air1 stations here so I'm not sure what they are playing now. But I still find a lot of good music by picking up gems and by checking things out online. So IMHO, the options are out there but not as easy to find.

Upvote 0

SistrNChrist

Aug 17, 2006
NYC
✟30,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I tend to fall into this camp as well. I love music, always have. Have lots of Christian and secular. Don't think anything is wrong with it.

To the OP, as others have said there is a wide variety of good Christian music out there right now. I am totally bored with the playlist on Sirius XM's "The Message" personally - to me much of it seems to be in the same basic genre and not always the best of that genre. Don't have K-Love or Air1 stations here so I'm not sure what they are playing now. But I still find a lot of good music by picking up gems and by checking things out online. So IMHO, the options are out there but not as easy to find.
If you have iTunes, check out the internet radio tab. Under the heading of religious music, there's plenty of Christian stations that aren't the same old same old, and some do play music from the 80s-90s if that's more your speed.

Upvote 0

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Some people listen to only Christian music. As a new Christian I did this but as time has gone by I have quckly become borred with the options given in the Christian Music realm. There are multiple reasons but I feel it all boils down to the fact that any time Christian music does anything "new" they mimic secular music. Why not just listen to the unfilthy secular music then? Shouldnt it be the other way around, shouldnt Christian music be so good and different that secular music mimics it? That how it was in the days of classicla music. Why not now?
True. There is music that I find that can give the effect of mimicing, but there are too many songs that I've listened to with so much meaning and some with a chilling-goosebump effect that I think most people should follow....songs like You Reign by MercyMe and There Will Be A Day by Jeremy Camp...where you listen to it and towards the bridge you get these chills lile "whoa where did that come from?" and "dang that's-...that-....I'm speechless!" Songs that I've found with too much meaning to handle or identical relations are songs like Desert Soul by Render Collective and Jesus, Friend of Sinners by Casting Crowns. Have you heard the openning piece of Already There by Casting Crowns? It was so good, I just had to learn it on the piano. But if mainstream musicians that you see on the face of KLOVE are too typical for your tastes you can always acquire the music from less popular bands like Gungor or Shane & Shane. Awkward-ness is no surprise when it comes to Gungor and for some people; It's an acquired taste to get used to. The song Dry Bones from them is a goo-..no Great example. Then you jump to the song You Have Me and think "where did the banjos come from?" and then there's the weird guitar in Higher... it's..it's a peculiar kind of music but don't get the assumption that most if not all Christian music is mimicking and dull..you just haven't found the right music yet haha

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate

KLOVE has their own app and website if you are curious, both free as well. I use Google Play All Access and though it is not free (I pay $7.99/month) if there is any particular Christian song you like (or just any song in general) you can click the top right 'three dotted' tab and it will pop down a list. Click the 'start radio' and whatever song you were listening to, it will make a radio station based on that one song and find all the songs that are similar to it. I'm pretty sure it's Google's entire database concerning music but I have no idea how many songs are in queue based off of starting a radio under 'Higher by Gungor'. TOO many, I should say, haha..

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A huge part of that is that EVERY major "christian" music label except Integrity Hosanna is owned and operated by a secular record company, and they know no better.

If you want new and original, you hve to go indie.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

Let's face it... we can't get away from music, even if we wanted to (not that I would ever want to). Music is such a powerful tool, and can be used for both good and evil. Everyone is influenced by it in a variety of ways. One particular musical piece alone can affect people differently, and that's why we have so many viewpoints (and arguments) as to what constitutes "good" and "beneficial" music, and where it fits into the Christian lifestyle.

As for myself, I don't think I can get enough music; even when I am not listening to it, it constantly runs through my head! It seems to come naturally, especially to those who have always been in musical surroundings. Well, I guess that's not exactly a bad thing! :)

Upvote 0

Katallina

Jul 20, 2015
Ontario, Canada
✟15,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Liberals
I think that this can be one of those awkward challenges that a new Christian faces since the vast majority of us love music of some sort. I don't necessarily think that we need to only listen to Christian music--as another poster said, those bands are usually managed by a secular recording studio / record company anyway.

Far more important, I think, is to consider where the individual is in their walk with the Lord and to ask Him how He feels about the effects of certain pieces of music in your life. Another great thing to consider and learn, in my opinion, is an awareness of how you feel when listening to certain songs.

It's all good and fine to want every aspect of our life to bring us closer to God. That's great and we should definitely be having those thoughts. But as much as we are to be in the world but not of it, we are still here and part of our reason for that is to help others find the Lord. A lot of times we get so bogged down in stuff like "What kind of music is it okay for me to listen to?" that we worry about that instead of focusing on the bigger picture.

When people see that they don't see the beauty of having a relationship with Jesus; instead they see "If you want to follow the 'Christian God' (I find a lot of people around here who aren't Christian call our Lord this as if its an insult.) you have to do this, and this, and this, and this and this..." And it keeps them from realizing that (1) Beginning to build a relationship with Jesus is the first and most important thing a would-be Christian needs to be considering. and (2) The things we may ultimately conclude are necessary to give up--which can be the same in some circumstances, but which also may be different for various individuals in others--are not on a check list given to you by any human the day you decide to believe and are not all carried away in the middle of the night. This type of change is a process and it tends to go on throughout the course of our life as we deepen in our relationship with the Lord and mature in Grace.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I think that this can be one of those awkward challenges that a new Christian faces since the vast majority of us love music of some sort. I don't necessarily think that we need to only listen to Christian music--as another poster said, those bands are usually managed by a secular recording studio / record company anyway.

Far more important, I think, is to consider where the individual is in their walk with the Lord and to ask Him how He feels about the effects of certain pieces of music in your life. Another great thing to consider and learn, in my opinion, is an awareness of how you feel when listening to certain songs.

It's all good and fine to want every aspect of our life to bring us closer to God. That's great and we should definitely be having those thoughts. But as much as we are to be in the world but not of it, we are still here and part of our reason for that is to help others find the Lord. A lot of times we get so bogged down in stuff like "What kind of music is it okay for me to listen to?" that we worry about that instead of focusing on the bigger picture.

When people see that they don't see the beauty of having a relationship with Jesus; instead they see "If you want to follow the 'Christian God' (I find a lot of people around here who aren't Christian call our Lord this as if its an insult.) you have to do this, and this, and this, and this and this..." And it keeps them from realizing that (1) Beginning to build a relationship with Jesus is the first and most important thing a would-be Christian needs to be considering. and (2) The things we may ultimately conclude are necessary to give up--which can be the same in some circumstances, but which also may be different for various individuals in others--are not on a check list given to you by any human the day you decide to believe and are not all carried away in the middle of the night. This type of change is a process and it tends to go on throughout the course of our life as we deepen in our relationship with the Lord and mature in Grace.

Great post, Katallina, and very well-stated! I agree on all counts. I think there is way too much arguing over petty stuff. I guess you can say it's something of a "oneupmanship" between believers. I see this not just with music issues, but matters concerning clothing (mainly, whether or not women should wear pants), Bible translations, end-times views, or whatnot. The Bible was given to us as believers as a guideline on how to follow and serve Christ to the best of our ability, but many of these so-called "rules" are based on what's read into particular Scriptures by some people, and it increases confusion because theological interpretations differ so much from Christian to Christian. But we should be able to respect one another, despite these differences, and concentrate on our own individual walks with the Lord.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SOMM

Jul 20, 2015
Perth, Australia
Visit site
✟366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can identify very strongly with what you started this thread with. I gave my life to God and decided to stop listening to "secular" music and only listen to Christian. I think the big thing I think about when it comes to music is where the person is at in their relationship with God.

The more I follow God and get to know him, the more I feel like Romans 12:2 is essential in our lives. So, for me I came into a relationship with God having a mind which was centered around lust, pride, greed, ect. so for me it was essential that I stop listening to secular music which only promoted those things and hindered my progress to stop thinking as my culture does and start thinking as God says I should.

So if I would have continued saying "God, I want to change the way I think. Please help me." but I kept on choosing influences in my life which I knew took me the other way, then how can I expect God to answer that prayer for me? I had to live in such a way that my choices and actions took me where I wanted to go, and that was to be wholehearted in my relationship with God.

I do agree with you that Christian music can be a bit boring... but that's why I do what I do! I help train Christian musicians how to use music to engage non-Christian people.

Upvote 0