Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
It's a nice idea, but I have actually seen people try to do this in WoW. They just get bashed for it as far as I can see. There's always a chance just one person will listen and be interested, but I haven't seen it yet.

I definitely try to encourage those who do it though...

Upvote 0
A

asthma

Skipped most of the posts, but I feel like I need to say something.

An understanding of why this is a bad idea requires an understanding of the WoW community. After playing this game for the entirety of its lifespan to date, I feel I am qualified to field this one.

It is as simple as this: Even if the people who are responding to your attempts to evangelize are biblical literalists, they will respond with to you with the utmost contempt. Contempt is the only thing anybody who plays that game has for any sincerity expressed in the chat system.

This does not include private /whisper communications. Those communications are most often simply ignored unless they are expected or have to do with epic lootz.

Upvote 0

Sheepie

Aug 10, 2009
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Searching on this subject got me on this forum and reading this topic made me raise some questions.

I became a Christian around the same time last year. Before that time, I used to play a lot of games such as World of Warcraft.

For a while, I've thought that playing such games wasn't a right thing to do as, lets face it, the figures, lore and community isn't the most religious ones around. I decided to quit playing these kind of game.

Last week I started to think it all over again. The game offers such a big community and endless possibilities to share my or your story and (even if it is just at one person) plant a seed and tell people about the Truth.

I just wonder how to stand tall so to speak and ignore all the before-named objections that I have about the game and actually get a way to reach the people without being influenced too much.

Long story short: how to act in the community without struggling too much with a conscience telling you it's 'wrong' to play those games?

(Sorry about my spelling, English isn't my native language)

Upvote 0

Klesk

Aug 4, 2009
NC
✟7,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Its very difficult to do, but you can witness. Back in 07 I used to play with a guy everyday, several hours a day and we would usually just chill out on a vent server and talk. I found out that he was once a christian but slipped away, and at the time considered himself a pagan. I told him what I believed, and planted a seed, which sometimes is about all you can do. Turns out he's not a pagan anymore, but he's still struggling with his beliefs last a checked. Unfortunately, its been about a year since either of us have played, but I have his phone number, and I have him on facebook, so I try to keep in touch.

I think WoW can be a great opportunity for sharing your faith. It takes time, and its very delicate, but its possible!

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It all depends on how you do it. If you introduce the topic slowly to some of your guild mates or people on your friend's list than that's fine.

However, typing in Jesus Loves you into the trade channel will most certainly just irritate people.

Upvote 0

Evenstar253

somewhere else
Feb 3, 2009
PA
✟16,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well...

When people in trade send out the message:

LF JC

I simply answer back on trade that if they pray for him he will answer.

^_^

I did literally just laugh out loud at that one :D

Ever since the expansion, I learned that you don't have to go to church after all to find eternal life. My main's an herbalist, and she probably has a dozen of them sitting in the bank :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sheepie

Aug 10, 2009
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, but on the other hand, I've got the impression that many gamers step into some kind of different world when playing games such as WoW etc.
Apparantly, many think it's no harm swearing publicly, talking along with subjects you'd have more problems with online.

Don't think the point is that Christians fail to reach people online because they dont spread the word enough, I think the point is Christians not being transparant about their belief and putting it aside as soon as they press 'login/enter world'. How do we have to be recognized in a positive way, if we don't make ourselves recognized?

Surely it's a lot easier not to be as outspoken in your behaviour and actions, but I really do believe that when Christians speak and act as they'd learn from reading the Bible or other books, there'd be a lot more people being reached.

Upvote 0

Spaffy

Sep 5, 2009
✟7,619.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The idea of preaching about jesus christ on a video game just makes me laugh, I imagine the conversation would go something like this:

"GIVING OUT FREE ITEM, PM ME IF INTERESTED"

"wat free item?!?!? give plz"

"Why the love of Jesus Christ, of course, all you have to do is accept jesus as your lord and savior, and you will go to heaven"

"..."

"The love of christ is unlimited and free, it is better than any physical item you could buy with gold. well, not really a "PHYSICAL" item, but you get my point, right?"

"gib monie plz"

"did you read anything I just said?"

"gib monie or i report u to gm"

"..."

Also to add to what seems to be an fairly empty and thoughtless post, I have this to say:

Games are an outlet to relax and forget about your real life troubles for a while, so to be bothered by people preaching their religion would only annoy and alienate the people playing the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sheepie

Aug 10, 2009
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeh..and everybody who wants to tell people about their faith talk like that.

Man, get a clue. Do you really think that people come to faith like that? If you don't read any posts or reply on them and actually make sense.. then whats the point? Mocking?

Nice way to have some respect there. If its any new: people dont usually preach like that. Its built on relation and confidentiality, not on shouting as loud as you can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
H

Holypeta

I don't see why people in this topic say preaching Jesus is a bad idea. It doesn't matter what environment you are in. I play WoW myself and I have met some pretty cool Christians on that game. Although there was this one retired youth pastor I met and hes been telling me he doesn't really go to church anymore and is saying he plays the game more than he spends time with God. Basically if I ever find a Christian like that then I say it is definitely ok so speak your mind to them saying, hey dude... you are sinning and putting this game over Jesus. Get off it more and spend time with your one and only God.

Other than that though I would only talk about Christianity to someone who is in my guild if they start asking me about myself... :)

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

I don't see why people in this topic say preaching Jesus is a bad idea. It doesn't matter what environment you are in.
There is a time and a place for everything. I love sex, but it probably isnt a good idea to engage in that particular activity say at work or on the bus. The same applies with preaching. When most of us play a game, we play for relaxation, for enjoyment, or for escapism. To have something that we're playing the game to avoid thrust in our faces, people tend to react badly.

This is why you are less likely to find a conversation about real world events in an MMO.

Basically if I ever find a Christian like that then I say it is definitely ok so speak your mind to them saying, hey dude... you are sinning and putting this game over Jesus. Get off it more and spend time with your one and only God.
I'm sorry but I find this heinously ironic :)

Upvote 0

zjschnee

Feb 12, 2011
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I haven't read everyone's posts, so maybe someone already said this. Evangelism is just like any other kind of ministry. You make a friend(a real friend, not just one to convert, like so many seem to think we do) and show the Truth of Christ by our actions, and trust God to make opportunities. This isn't about forcing anything or playing the percentages. No amount of asking 'will it work' can give us the answer.
If you feel called to try, then do it. If you want to hold online services in WoW, just do it. Invite anyone who wants to attend to come; just be prepared for the results. WoW is just like the rest of the world; there are people that will appreciate what we do, and those that don't much care either way, and then those that take major offense and try and get us banned. Either way, we just need to make God the major focus of what we do, and trust Him.

Upvote 0

zjschnee

Feb 12, 2011
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
also, to those that say playing the game is just to relax and get away from life. We should never take a break from God. He is the refresher, the one that builds up. Instead, we who are Christians take Christ with us wherever we go, but we should not be underhanded or sneaky in trying to share. We look for opportunities, not force them.

Upvote 0