ignorant and stupid

Jan 17, 2005
UK
✟15,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was recently at a conference about outreach to spiritual seekers. There are huge areas of society that Christians are not effectively engaging with.

My thought is, with more than 10 million playing World of Warcraft, is there an effective way to outreach to these people with in the game? What about other games? The online world is growing rapidly, people that are hard-to-reach can often be found online much more easily. Can they be reached online? Are virtual online games the future, or is it just a phase that will be gone soon?

I'm just hoping to start some discussion and get some input.

Thanks for any thoughts you share.

Last edited:
K

Kharak

Smeg no.

One of the main reason people play games to enjoy them and relax, the last thing most of them would want are a load of evangelical christians street preaching in the cities of Azeroth.

Perhaps if you were a Night Elf and were preaching to Alune, instead, it might be accepted as roleplaying, though.

Sort of like how I don't like people trying to convert me when I am committing galactic genocide in the name of the God Emperor of mankind.

Upvote 0

ShaynDaPain

Apr 26, 2009
✟7,673.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be very hard to gain trust with any WoW player. Most of the people I know...scratch that, all of the players are either athiest or agnostic. Beyond that you're contacting them through a game that they enjoy to play. Often times when conversation gets too serious or whatever I'd bet most players would simply hit that ignore button and keep it moving.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As a WOWer myself I must agree. Usually you're too busy to read much of what is being written or type back. Using Ventrilo and such with the voice mikes is used for the game and not that. Peoples minds are too focused on the game to pay attention to other subjects.

Upvote 0

ignorant and stupid

Jan 17, 2005
UK
✟15,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not really thinking of some strange preachy thing...I don't think that's what God's about. I was thinking more of getting to know people, sharing your experiences and stories of God with other people. Helpping people with quests. Just encouraging people and being possitive in a Christian way... hopefully like we are in real life.

Would Jesus play wow and what would that look like I wonder?

Upvote 0
K

Kharak

Trying to convert an Imperial Guardsman to Christianity just wouldn't work.

Much less an Adaptes Astartes.
Conversion works for Space Marines: The alien, heretic and mutant may freely convert themselves to ash whenever they will it.

Now that you mention it, I have seen various Christian themed Call of Duty 4 clans.

However, I have developed a distaste for all clanners; especially for their kick/ban-happy tendencies and their inability to admit defeat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OdwinOddball

Atheist Water Fowl
Jan 3, 2006
Birmingham, AL
✟22,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As long as you do it only when someone asks you directly about your religion, I'd see no real problem with it. But its bad enough in RL when folks try to tell me the "good news" uninvited, I certainly would not want it happening in my hobby as well.

A general unspoken rule in most online games is that heavy RL topics are off limits except in private conversations. It blows the mood.

Upvote 0
K

Kharak

As long as you do it only when someone asks you directly about your religion, I'd see no real problem with it. But its bad enough in RL when folks try to tell me the "good news" uninvited, I certainly would not want it happening in my hobby as well.
I suppose this is a phenomenon just restricted to RPGs and RTS than, for typiing FPS games is absolute suicide (well that, and I turn off VOIP). Though I would also think that the play-by-post RPGs have a preaching underground such as Alleria (though I couldn't recall).

Of course, after this: Never play me in Call of Duty 4 then. My profile's name is Prof.Farnsworth, and I must start every match with the good news, preaching the gospel of the AK-47 to all with my mighty battlecry...

"Good news everyone!"

Upvote 0

The LORD's Minstrel

↔ ĴĔŜŨŜ ĨŚ ĶĨŇĞ ↔
Mar 12, 2004
Miami,Florida
✟558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was recently at a conference about outreach to spiritual seekers. There are huge areas of society that Christians are not effectively engaging with.

My thought is, with more than 10 million playing World of Warcraft, is there an effective way to outreach to these people with in the game? What about other games? The online world is growing rapidly, people that are hard-to-reach can often be found online much more easily. Can they be reached online? Are virtual online games the future, or is it just a phase that will be gone soon?

Thanks for any thoughts you share.

Oh boy,yes its possible,I have so been there and done that.
I have tried online ministry and it works.

The important ministry in online gaming is going to be the Behavioral Ministry. Understanding you behavior is going to determine who will listen to you.When I ministered to online gamers,I made myself really quiet and watched everyone else argue and curse and saw friendship end and saw alot of bad stuff.Eventually someone asked me why nothing seems to bother me and bingo,the oppurtunity presents itself.Next thing i know when the clan had a problem with issues I was the one they sought for help.
Next minute im talking about forgivness,and giving people a chance to change,and being leaders, and leading by example.Sooner or later they will catch on and you actions of good will blossom.Eventually I was able to talk about God and Jesus and showed them why I was the way I am.Then one day i was aked if I wanted to start a clan with them,and these were unbelievers who asked me to start there clan.The knew I loved God by then and they knew I had the level headiness to handle behavioral issues.Next minute I became a co founder of an Unreal Tournament 2k4 clan(an FPS game),which still exists today.
Dont just start planting seeds,pay atention first,look around hear and see who each person is and watch what they go through daily infront of you as a gamer.So who has seed potential,who are the leaders,who are the follwers.Who has mercy,who is ruthless.Who Taunts or provokes,Who is kind and gentle.Who goes out of there way to help,Who says I cant stay because I have something else to do.
And as someone already stated,people are there primarly for recreation and fun,so finding the balance is important.But its perfectly possible to minister during online gaming,I know this for a fact.

(BTW->Kharak your response->Sort of like how I don't like people trying to convert me when I am committing galactic genocide in the name of the God Emperor of mankind.

That Was great,that got me laughing for bit.thx.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I'm not really thinking of some strange preachy thing...I don't think that's what God's about. I was thinking more of getting to know people, sharing your experiences and stories of God with other people. Helpping people with quests. Just encouraging people and being possitive in a Christian way... hopefully like we are in real life.
It's the same thing. I think it's just as creepy to pretend to be people's friend and invite them to play with you just so you can convert them, as it is to stand on a street corner and yell to the masses things like, "This CAM-pus... is a me-NA-gerie... of harlots... and harlot-MON-gers..." (I've actually heard that one.)
Would Jesus play chess, or any other game with war as its underlying concept? I don't know. I think Jesus would think WoW was a waste of time. But he wasn't a gamer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The LORD's Minstrel

↔ ĴĔŜŨŜ ĨŚ ĶĨŇĞ ↔
Mar 12, 2004
Miami,Florida
✟558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's the same thing. I think it's just as creepy to pretend to be people's friend and invite them to play with you just so you can convert them .

Thats another good valid point also,theres another thing to look at, MY intents or motives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Breakaway_republic

Feb 21, 2009
Palm Bay, FL
✟15,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To be brutally honest [of which I WILL BE]...

as a former player of WoW... NO!

1.it's against the rules to directly try to do that kind of thing. Yeah, sure... in PM's it's good... otherwise, forget it.

2.That can get you kicked so hard and fast your head would spin, spin... then fall off like a bottle cap from a bottle of coke.

3.there are better places for evangelism. namely in your communities, towns and cities.

Upvote 0
S

Silent Bob

This is how I see a typical conversation attempting to convert an WoW player:

Christian: You know Jesus loves you if you only accept Him in your heart you will be granted access to the Heavens.
Player: Yeah, yeah now st*u and pull need teh epix!!!11

One of the moments I really loled playing WoW was when I saw the guild name "Jesus was SSed" try to preach to THIS crowd.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2008
✟15,580.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Honestly uninvited evangelism anywhere is going to get the same reaction... generally a rather crude version of "leave me alone". WoW tends to be a harsh place, some decent people play it but overall the players are some of the meanest, most harsh people out there. They don't play the game to get preached at and to do so will more often than not breed resentment. You may become friends with some people while you play the game, you may chat with them on vent and develop a relationship. At that point, it opens up the door to talk about your personal lives and your personal beliefs etc... this is the best way to do anything that remotely looks like "evangelism".

In this case don't rush it and don't be too eager. Listen to them and what they have to say too, if you just rush through an open door and don't let them get a word in edge-wise, it will be fail. Honestly, play the game to have fun and play, if you get a chance to talk to somebody, that's great, but don't make it your purpose in playing, it will just lead to frustration.

Upvote 0

Morghaine

Studying
Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2006
Ozark MO
✟63,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have seen people try to evangelize on WoW, and it always ends badly, but then I always think to myself, if maybe just one person read it, and it got them to thinking, then it might be worth it.

You would have to have a pretty thick skin, as the previous poster said, I've seen some of the rudest, crudest, mean people on WoW. I'm also in a guild full of the kindest, most dear people that I have actually prayed with (several of them).

Upvote 0