back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Also, re: meeting devoted Christians online... I find that I meet many more devoted (reportedly) Christians online than I do in real life. Not in terms of dating, but in terms of just chatting and sharing interests. I'm not able to have a solid theological discussion with the few I encounter in real life, because they usually claim to be Christian without knowing much about their faith. But I can have solid theological discussions here. I have actually learned a lot here on CF over the years, and it has helped my faith grow a great deal.

/coolstorybro

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Like I said, if it works for you... great. I'm in a younger age group, so it's slimmer pickings online. As I said elsewhere, I have friends that have met their spouses online. So it depends on what you're looking for.

But for me personally, I have serious doubts about it and I do tend to think a lot of girls on those sites (in my age group) have problems, are fake profiles or are just crazy. Why else would they be on there...?

lol honestly, I think a good portion of the guys on at least the dating site I checked out are desperate people who have very little going for them that would allow them to impress a woman in person. And I think a lot of the girls are probably just as desperate and willing to settle for mediocre because they feel compelled to be married or be with somebody.

Your doubts are totally legit. I had my doubts as well and I think mostly they were confirmed along with the fact that a dating site isn't for me. But I think it can and does work well for other people and for that, I can't really knock them completely or judge my friends for joining them.

Upvote 0

penNpaper

Keep on moving
Nov 14, 2006
Youngstown
✟33,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I do love those Christian Mingle commericals lol - Don't wait for God to find you a partner, do it yourself by signing up today or something lol

I do believe in saying "How you doin'" because chances are your hubby/wifey won't fall from the sky lol

God Bless,
Drew

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I've never seen a 10 girl, certainly not online, maybe a couple 9's at most. Many of the women online are simply not even good looking to begin with. That is one problem right off the bat with using the net to "date." Besides, your "10" would probably not be the same as what I think is good looking. I have friends who think one girl is good looking, while I don't. You should know how it is.

The rest tend to be either crazy, have attitude problems or are fake profiles.

I'm not sure if I follow your line of thought? Date ugly girls? Do you date ugly chicas? If not, you're a hypocrite. If so, that's good I guess. Whatever makes you happy.

Hahaha, I said plain, not ugly. lol

And you're right, people have different perceptions on what is attractive to them.

Upvote 0
U

Ukrainia

So a few days ago I tried a dating site for the first time in my life.

Here's my initial and still developing view.

The site I tried is OkCupid.

Here's my review:

It's free - it's cost nothing unless you want "special features" which are really just irrelevant bells and whistles and are not necessary at all.

It has a huge member data base - this is obviously important if you hope to find someone. The bigger the sea, the more potential fish there are. This is especially true if you don't live in a large city.

The profiles - I largely like the way the profiles are set up. The site encourages you to write down various things and answer a few basic questions and a few questions which encourage more creativity.

The match questions - Besides the standerd profiles, the site encourages the members to answer at least a few of the many match questions made by either site makers or members. These are questions over a wide range of important topics, from questions about ethics, religion, relationships, and personal history, to those regarding intelligence, and pretty much anything else you can think of. Some questions are leud or just plain stupid, but you can always skip a question if you want. Then, when you search for people, their profile picture comes up and 3 percentages come up - % match, % friend and % enemy. I'm not sure exactly how they come up with the 3 percentages, but it's obvious that 2 people who answer questions similarly will have a high percent match. So when I see a girl who looks cute who has a high percent match, I'll click on their profile. From there I can also see the exact questions they answered and how their answers relate to mine. So a question many people answer regards abortion - a topic hugely important to me - which is good, so right away I'll know this person's stance on abortion and any number of other issues. In my opinion this feature is probably the best on the site. None of the questions are mandatory, and so the site users have a lot of control, which I also really like.

In 3 days I've sent about 9 girls messages (some of which I did put quite a lot of thought into). I've really looked closely at their profiles and they seemed to share a lot of my interests, morals and they all are Christian. I've only recieved one reply. This makes me think that girls - especially the ones that have a lot going for them - rarely respond to guy's messages. That's a bit disheartening as a guy, but understandable since they're likely recieving a lot of messages in a day.

Overall I'd say that a OkCupid is a good complement to finding people the old fashion way. I did chat with a girl there who said that she had used OkCupid and other dating sites for 2 years with little success. She said she found nice people that way, but no one she wanted to date. She's now dating someone she just randomely bumped into one day - not someone she met online. So I think the moral of her story is that online dating should be used as one of a few avenues a person might persue in finding a significant other, and should not be used as the sole method. For guys especially, I can imagine it is tough sending messages to girls who rarely send one back. I wasn't feeling good when, after I had sent messages to 9 different girls, I hadn't heard back from one (one finally did reply later). It's a tough feeling. So I'd also add that if you take part in an online dating website, it's good to have thick skin, because you'll probably experience failure before you find success, if you ever do.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Created well and commanded to be sick
Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
lol honestly, I think a good portion of the guys on at least the dating site I checked out are desperate people who have very little going for them that would allow them to impress a woman in person. And I think a lot of the girls are probably just as desperate and willing to settle for mediocre because they feel compelled to be married or be with somebody.

Your doubts are totally legit. I had my doubts as well and I think mostly they were confirmed along with the fact that a dating site isn't for me. But I think it can and does work well for other people and for that, I can't really knock them completely or judge my friends for joining them.

Well, I'm not trying to criticize the people that are on the sites. There are good and bad people everywhere you go. As I said, some good friends use it and some have had varying degrees of success. I've met a few girls online, but if I'm single now then obviously it didn't work out in a favourable way for me.

I was mostly just voicing how I feel about many of the females on these sites. Are the guys any better? I doubt it, but I'm not after men so I can't say for sure. Many of them are probably just out for sex. Some don't have much going for them either, I imagine. But considering how there are 3x as many men on those sites than women, I'm gonna go with the possibly that there are some very good men out there. However, I suspect they are either lazy and don't want to put forth the effort of trying to meet someone, or they are doing it as an experiment, and expecting nothing, like I was. And my doubts were well-founded, since I have yet to meet someone I would want to be with. Even assuming I find someone I think is cute or whatever, what are the chances of her sharing any faith in God? Or that we would get along, etc.? I'm not into drugs, I'm not 420 friendly, I'm not into casual hook-ups.

For me, internet "dating" has been tried and found severely lacking. For everyone who wants to come to its defense, I ask: If it's so great, why then, are you still single?

Am I saying don't use it? No. But I do wonder about some of these women on these sites. Could some be great catches? Sure. But chances are, anyone with any sense will realize it's not worth wading through the hundreds of losers, perverts and creeps to find one decent dude.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Hahaha, I said plain, not ugly. lol

And you're right, people have different perceptions on what is attractive to them.

Either you're pretty or you're not. There is no middle ground.

Attraction is not a choice. Ask any woman that and she will concur. You don't choose to feel attracted to someone, whether you like it or not. If you have to stop and think about it, you're probably not attracted to somebody.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ukrainia - I like OKCupid's site, too. It's free, the profiles are easy to set up, easy to view, easy-to-use instant messaging, and I really like the questions they have (you can answer as many questions as you want on a myriad of relationship topics; the more you answer, the more accurately the site will suggest matches for you). I still haven't seen anyone who catches my interest there...but that's a problem that exists no matter which dating site I'm on. Nobody interesting.

Upvote 0

Blueforest

Jun 10, 2011
✟1,191.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
My, you're rude.

I'm not single. I was single and I posted here for quite awhile, took a hiatus, came back still single, and am now in a HEALTHY long-term relationship, thanks to the dating sites you so despise. Married people hang out here, so I figure it's not treasonous to post when it pleases me.

I am as rude as those who are to me first.

Married people are NOT allowed to post here. Check the forum rules.

Upvote 0