Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The very earliest humans DID know God, deeply and personally. Then they rebelled against him, fell from his holy and sustaining grace, and forsook him to follow after their own evil ways. Having forsaken God, the source of all good, humans were turned over to pure evil and foolishness.

In our evil and foolishness we invented "gods" after our own sin-tainted image, to satisfy our God-given need for worship within the context of an inherently evil nature. The real God made us in his image, but we rebelled against him, willingly suppressed the truth in unrighteousness, and invented "gods" in our own image. Ultimately all religion is idolatry. Christianity is not religion per say, its a real relationship with the one true and living God.

So to answer your question directly, God did reveal himself to us from the beginning. But we walked away from him. So he chose to reveal himself to and through the nation of Israel, and through this people he brought forth his Son, the Messiah, to bear the sins of mankind and suffer condemnation in our place. In so doing all can be reconciled to God. Even though we rejected him, hated him, and invented "gods" of our own to worship, he was so gracious that he poured out our just penalty upon his own son that we could be reconciled, if only we'd repent and believe in him. God is hardly unjust in his dealings with us, he is eminently and unfathomably merciful and gracious.

Upvote 0

PashNut4Jesus

Jun 21, 2012
Tennessee
✟15,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The very earliest humans DID know God, deeply and personally. Then they rebelled against him, fell from his holy and sustaining grace, and forsook him to follow after their own evil ways. Having forsaken God, the source of all good, humans were turned over to pure evil and foolishness.

In our evil and foolishness we invented "gods" after our own sin-tainted image, to satisfy our God-given need for worship within the context of an inherently evil nature. The real God made us in his image, but we rebelled against him, willingly suppressed the truth in unrighteousness, and invented "gods" in our own image. Ultimately all religion is idolatry. Christianity is not religion per say, its a real relationship with the one true and living God.

So to answer your question directly, God did reveal himself to us from the beginning. But we walked away from him. So he chose to reveal himself to and through the nation of Israel, and through this people he brought forth his Son, the Messiah, to bear the sins of mankind and suffer condemnation in our place. In so doing all can be reconciled to God. Even though we rejected him, hated him, and invented "gods" of our own to worship, he was so gracious that he poured out our just penalty upon his own son that we could be reconciled, if only we'd repent and believe in him. God is hardly unjust in his dealings with us, he is eminently and unfathomably merciful and gracious.

Excellent reply. I would also add that Christianity did not begin until after the death of Jesus. God established his covenant in the beginning with His people, the Jews. God gave them the law, i.e. The Ten Commandments. Once mankind had thoroughly demonstrated to itself, that keeping the law was impossible, Jesus came to earth, died and paid for our sins so we didn't have to, and ushered in the new covenant of grace. The history of the new, fledgling church is documented in Acts.

Confusing enough? ;)

Upvote 0

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent reply. I would also add that Christianity did not begin until after the death of Jesus. God established his covenant in the beginning with His people, the Jews. God gave them the law, i.e. The Ten Commandments. Once mankind had thoroughly demonstrated to itself, that keeping the law was impossible, Jesus came to earth, died and paid for our sins so we didn't have to, and ushered in the new covenant of grace. The history of the new, fledgling church is documented in Acts.

Confusing enough? ;)

If it were simpler I'd be worried about the validity of it all.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Question.Everything said:
Why was Christianity not the first religion?

If you were the loving creator of life, what is the purpose of allowing hundreds of millions of people to believe in false religions before yours?
The gospel isn't a set of timeless set of beliefs. It's something God has done.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is not that: “Only Christians are saved”.
People were saved before “Christianity”.
Some things had to happen first before Christ going to the cross, but that does not mean God did not look at the hearts of people a judge them as wanting to be with Him in heaven.

Upvote 0
Q

Question.Everything

Does this basically come down to an interpretation of the Bible? Because if you look at history, many religions predate Judaism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,618.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Why was Christianity not the first religion?

If you were the loving creator of life, what is the purpose of allowing hundreds of millions of people to believe in false religions before yours?
good question.
But God ended to create the world only when His Son entered in the world, i.e. when Christ was born.
From the time the world was completed the Christian religion was available, so Christianism IS the first religion.:amen:

Upvote 0
E

Elioenai26

:amen:

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The way I understand this, is that before Christianity could be brought forth, it had to have a base. That base was Judaism. Before Judaism, the foundation for Judaism, the formation of the 12 tribes had to form.

Evidently, mankind practiced religion farther back than recorded history (about 3500 B.C.) because we have cave drawings by Neanderthals dating as far back as 30,000-200,000 years ago. So if we understand the Genesis account literally, ma de-evolved after Adam, then at some point, started evolving.

Upvote 0
Q

Question.Everything

Can you cite your source?

To me those statements were just common knowledge on world religions that I either picked up in school or watching various programs. If you want I can try to dig up archaeological records online, would you want proof of

1) Hinduism predating Judaism. To my knowledge Hinduism has been believed to be about 5,000-6,000 years old, with some evidence suggesting older than that.

2) The belief in Ra thousands of years before Judiasm.

3) The worship of pagan idols tens of thousands of years before Judaism.

I've never looked up major historical proof of these online before, so I'm not sure how tough and time consuming it'll be. Pick one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nails74

Jan 13, 2012
✟15,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me those statements were just common knowledge on world religions that I either picked up in school or watching various programs. If you want I can try to dig up archaeological records online, would you want proof of

1) Hinduism predating Judaism. To my knowledge Hinduism has been believed to be about 5,000-6,000 years old, with some evidence suggesting older than that.

2) The belief in Ra thousands of years before Judiasm.

3) The worship of pagan idols tens of thousands of years before Judaism.

I've never looked up major historical proof of these online before, so I'm not sure how tough and time consuming it'll be. Pick one.
Any one of those would be helpful. Genesis chapter 4 is the first record of worship that I find. This would, in fact, be the "Christian God" though that term is a bit anachronistic at this point.

Upvote 0
Q

Question.Everything

Any one of those would be helpful. Genesis chapter 4 is the first record of worship that I find. This would, in fact, be the "Christian God" though that term is a bit anachronistic at this point.

I realize this is Wikipedia, but for simplicities sake I think it will do. You can further check out the sources from the links. This is a general timeline of religious discovery: Timeline of religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The oldest religious structure of worship is dated to be from around 9,000 BC, thousands of years before Judaism. Before then, religion was much less organized and idolatry seemed to be popular back 100,000 years and beyond.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Christ fulfilled the old testament.

Why is God so different in the OT than He is in the NT?
Old Testament vs. New Testament - What are the differences?

Oldest religion
The Oldest Religion

2,085 BC. Judaism-Abraham
1,500 BC. Hinduism- no specific founder
560 BC. Buddhism- Gautama Buddha
550 BC. Taoism - Lao Tzu
599 BC. Jainism, Mahavira
30 AD. Christianity –Jesus Christ
50-100 AD. Gnosticism-
590 AD.-Roman Catholicism- Developed after Constantine; Pope Gregory?
610 AD.- Islam- Mohammed

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Question.Everything said:
I realize this is Wikipedia, but for simplicities sake I think it will do. You can further check out the sources from the links. This is a general timeline of religious discovery: Timeline of religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The oldest religious structure of worship is dated to be from around 9,000 BC, thousands of years before Judaism. Before then, religion was much less organized and idolatry seemed to be popular back 100,000 years and beyond.

And from the same wiki:
40,000 BCE
One of the earliest Anatomically modern humans to be cremated is buried near Lake Mungo.

... And probably there was a continuous development from whatever the beliefs, stories and praxis of that community c40,000 years ago until we stuffed up their culture over the last 200. Certainly there is evidence of continuity of religion in that region over the last 10-15,000 years.

Upvote 0

Nails74

Jan 13, 2012
✟15,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sorry for the delay...the end of tee ball season makes for a busy time :)

If you are dating "Judaism" from the construction of the temple, that puts it ca.1000BC.

But if you are talking about people worshiping that same God, (Yahweh) then it would obviously date back to the beginnings of history. And it seems that as long as people have known about God, they have chosen to suppress that truth with idolatry...

For God’s wrath is revealed from heaven against all godlessness and unrighteousness of people who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth, since what can be known about God is evident among them, because God has shown it to them. For His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen since the creation of the world, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse. For though they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God or show gratitude. Instead, their thinking became nonsense, and their senseless minds were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man, birds, four-footed animals, and reptiles. [Romans 1:18-23]

Upvote 0