Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christian Science Monitor
August 18, 2005
Todd R. Nelson

Last August, at our faculty meeting before the new school year, we asked, "Do the kids really know the meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance, and should we repeat it every day? Do they even know what it means to pledge, to swear an oath?"

As we discussed the rationale for the school's longstanding tradition, a new idea arose. Why not begin each day of the week with a different pledge? Perhaps our students could even write one . . .

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0818/p09s01-coop.html

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ozymandius said:
No problem with it. I think they should mess with their heads all they can. At least that way they'll turn out interesting!

Actually they turn out to be bores. If they learn nothing else in school, kids come out with one idee fixe:

Who are they to judge?

Pledge to fruit bats, candy bars, the American flag, what's the difference?

Makes for a pliable, easily manipulated population.

Which, after all, is the entire point of the exercise.

Upvote 0

sidiousmax225

Jul 14, 2005
✟1,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Voegelin said:
Actually they turn out to be bores. If they learn nothing else in school, kids come out with one idee fixe:

Who are they to judge?

Which, after all, is the entire point of the exercise.

*gasp* you figured it out! Its a liberal plot to make our children easily manipulated so that they will follow evil liberal plots, such as using alternative fuels and fighting against government invasion of privacy! Darn those Liberals!

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a stupid idea. Despite what Dr. Spock has said, children need structure for learning and self discipline.

Coming in every day and pledging allegiance to whatever just re-informces the belief that there is no absolute truth, no responsibility to develop an adherence to your beliefs, that there is no right or wrong, and that even though some people take a pledge seriously, it's ok to make a mockery of their beliefs.

Homeschooling looks better every day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
sidiousmax225 said:
*gasp* you figured it out! Its a liberal plot to make our children easily manipulated so that they will follow evil liberal plots, such as using alternative fuels and fighting against government invasion of privacy! Darn those Liberals!

Ever read John Dewey?

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
HumbleMan said:
. . .Coming in every day and pledging allegiance to whatever just re-informces the belief that there is no absolute truth, no responsibility to develop an adherence to your beliefs, that there is no right or wrong, and that even though some people take a pledge seriously, it's ok to make a mockery of their beliefs . . .

Yes, and despite the frivilious tone of this teacher there is nothing lighthearted about what he is doing. Nor spur of the movement. It reflects his belief that, as you say, everything is relative. Which is no surprise. That is what teachers are taught.

We used to write our own parodies. Now we have teachers descending to the level of children.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Parody? Camille Paglia on the system which creates teachers:

" . . .two generations of embezzlers and crooks, as far as I am concerned, took over the universities and forced out interesting grad students and faculty and they took up other careers. And destroyed the humanities."

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HumbleMan said:
Homeschooling looks better every day.

Amen, Humbleman. I'm right with ya.:thumbsup:

Hugging trees and singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony....blah- blah- blah- blah....I'd like to pledge to creatures and earth and keep them company."^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lucid42day

where do I go when the land touches sea
Apr 1, 2004
We'll stumble through the APT.
✟9,766.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Voegelin said:

Easily manipulated by fruit bats, candy bars, or the American flag that is.

Reactions: Ginny
Upvote 0

MalcolmX

Jul 31, 2005
✟562.00
Faith
Catholic
burrow_owl said:
Someone ought to email this thread to the daily show or something. talk about parodies....
I second that, if anything it reveals the degree of fanatacism people have in this country. Recitng a pledge is important and I think it's neat that they have this creative way of teaching about the pledge.

Upvote 0