Narnia
✟10,488.00
Country
Bahamas
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Quantity doesnt really matter, i mean after people begin gettin tired, they lose form and their pushups or situps become sloppy. I did gymnastics for a good 4 years and strength and conditioning was always a struggle. When i was 15 i was practising most days and got up to 170 consecutive pushups. These days i couldnt do more than 80 lol. Situps are good, but it will work your upper abs mostly. You should throw leg lifts in there for the lower. I mostly do wide arm pullups, the other ones are too easy. Ive been workin on them recently and can manage 25. So far from the pro's though, they do 1000's of everything!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ifightdwagons

the water, the Spirit and the blood; 1 John5:8
Nov 28, 2010
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Quantity doesnt really matter, i mean after people begin gettin tired, they lose form and their pushups or situps become sloppy. I did gymnastics for a good 4 years and strength and conditioning was always a struggle. When i was 15 i was practising most days and got up to 170 consecutive pushups. These days i couldnt do more than 80 lol. Situps are good, but it will work your upper abs mostly. You should throw leg lifts in there for the lower. I mostly do wide arm pullups, the other ones are too easy. Ive been workin on them recently and can manage 25. So far from the pro's though, they do 1000's of everything!!!
There is different kinds of muscle
muscle endurance
maximal strength
explosive strength
reaction strength
speed etc
(couple other kinds lol)

doing lots of push ups only works endurance, so if you only focus on one kind of attribute your gains are lessened a lot... if someone would add all the different kinds in a week they would grow a ton more than just doing something plain like endurance only perhaps...

Upvote 0

Dionysiou

Feb 2, 2010
Narnia
✟10,488.00
Country
Bahamas
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is different kinds of muscle
muscle endurance
maximal strength
explosive strength
reaction strength
speed etc
(couple other kinds lol)

doing lots of push ups only works endurance, so if you only focus on one kind of attribute your gains are lessened a lot... if someone would add all the different kinds in a week they would grow a ton more than just doing something plain like endurance only perhaps...

yeh, it depends on what you want. Some people want to be big and buff while others want to appear athletic. Also depends what your training for. lol lets take you for example, if you are to fight some dragons, you will need muscle endurance, reaction strength, explosive strength, cardio respiratory endurance and speed. In other words, you should train everything!

Upvote 0

ifightdwagons

the water, the Spirit and the blood; 1 John5:8
Nov 28, 2010
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
yeh, it depends on what you want. Some people want to be big and buff while others want to appear athletic. Also depends what your training for. lol lets take you for example, if you are to fight some dragons, you will need muscle endurance, reaction strength, explosive strength, cardio respiratory endurance and speed. In other words, you should train everything!
LMAO i like your example :p
yes i need all the muscles i can get to fight dwagons

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
So I got through the second week and after starting at 18 consecutive pushups - after 2 weeks I was able to do 21. I honestly feel that I would have been able to do a few more - but what stopped me was a gradually increasing pain in my abdomen - to the point where it has become a very *sharp* pain. If you do pushups correctly your abdomen tightens somewhat - but it's not as if the muscles there are the main ones being worked so this was confusing to me.

Looking back some years I've done mild weight training before and to my recollection what happened was the same as now - sharp pains in my abdomen started to occur when I was not working the muscles there specifically.

It's been suggested to me that this is a henia( a condition you can live with for a long time in relative ease so long as you don't aggravate it) and so I decided to make an appointment for next week to see a doctor. In any case - I've stopped doing the pushups so as not to aggravate it further but am doing curls instead.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I waited to post about this for a while, because I wanted to have something to show for my effort. I'm up to 45 pushups, just over 100 squats (I always lose count), and 100 situps (60 normal crunches, and 20 oblique crunches on each side) in three sets. I can actually do 50 pushups if I do an additional fourth set of five, but I've heard that you shouldn't count a set smaller than half of the number of reps at which you started. That's not quite up to where I was before my injury in September, but I'm still happy with my progress.

Upvote 0

Keri

Jan 1, 2006
✟51,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I waited to post about this for a while, because I wanted to have something to show for my effort. I'm up to 45 pushups, just over 100 squats (I always lose count), and 100 situps (60 normal crunches, and 20 oblique crunches on each side) in three sets. I can actually do 50 pushups if I do an additional fourth set of five, but I've heard that you shouldn't count a set smaller than half of the number of reps at which you started. That's not quite up to where I was before my injury in September, but I'm still happy with my progress.
Awesome! Great job!

I haven't done this challenge but I'm challenging myself at the gym. I used to only be able to do one set of 10 reps on the machines, now I can do 3 sets of 15. By the 44th and 45th one though I'm so dead.

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian

That's great Macfall! Keep it up!

After starting the push up program, I had some major abdominal pain and went to see the doctor and get some tests done. Turns out I'm fine...but I decided to do a few dumbbell exercises instead of the pushups. Currently, they consist of:

4 sets of concentration curls
4 sets of single arm rows
4 sets of front raises

Where I max out on the 4th set. Once I can reach 10 reps for each set of the concentration curls, I increase the weight.

Been doing this for about a month and decided to test max pushups - starting max was 18 and now I'm up to 30 max. I'm guessing this means I'll be up to 40 next month.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stravinsk

Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have not been doing pushups but curls, front raises and single arm rows.

I did an exhaustion test today for pushups and found that it was actually *lower* than last month (25 as opposed to 30!!).

But...

I've been able to increase weight twice (by 5.5 pounds each time) since the last time for the exercises I've been doing.

Either I'm not working the same muscles or it's the way I'm doing them.

I read a few interesting articles on rest periods. The 100 pushups schedule has you resting 60 seconds between sets - which means that on each subsequent set your battling the lactic acid buildup. When I rest this short period I can do the same or *less on each following set.

From what I've been reading - this shorter rest helps with endurance training (being able to do more pushups) and a little bit with strength - but longer rests (3-4 min) between sets builds up strength rather than endurance.

Anyone with any more info on this?

Upvote 0

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
From what I've been reading - this shorter rest helps with endurance training (being able to do more pushups) and a little bit with strength - but longer rests (3-4 min) between sets builds up strength rather than endurance.

Anyone with any more info on this?

sounds about right.

I can *almost* do 50 consecutive pushups, but have been stuck at 48 for like two years. Like no matter what I try, my arms just cave in 2 pushups before the target.

I can do 100 with rests though, that isn't too difficult.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
sounds about right.

I can *almost* do 50 consecutive pushups, but have been stuck at 48 for like two years. Like no matter what I try, my arms just cave in 2 pushups before the target.

I can do 100 with rests though, that isn't too difficult.
Yeah I can do like 50, 55 in one go. After that though it's....shaking...and struggling...and yeah. Not 100.

Upvote 0