Once Saved, Always Saved?

Do you agree with OSAS (Once Saved, Always Saved)?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 19, 2016
City of Brotherly Love
✟18,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Shalom,

Read John 15:1-6, now look at the following verses:

1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the vintner. 2 He cuts off every branch that does not produce fruit in me, and he cuts back every branch that does produce fruit, so that it might produce more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of what I’ve spoken to you.

4 Abide in me, and I will abide in you. Just as the branch cannot produce fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. The one who abides in me while I abide in him produces much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Unless a person abides in me, he is thrown away like a pruned branch and dries up. People gather such branches, throw them into a fire, and they are burned up.
Now, read Romans 11:17-22 then think about the following:

17 Now if some of the branches have been broken off, and you, a wild olive branch, have been grafted in their place to share the rich root of the olive tree, 18 do not boast about being better than the other branches. If you boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 Then you will say, “Branches were cut off so that I could be grafted in.” 20 That’s right! They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you remain only because of faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid! 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he certainly will not spare you, either.

Consider, then, the kindness and severity of God: his severity toward those who fell, but God’s kindness toward you—if you continue receiving his kindness. Otherwise, you too will be cut off.

In John's gospel, the plant is a vine plant and we are branches and Yeshua is the vine. In Romans the plant is a fig tree and it is speaking of Israel as a body and implies that it is Yeshua. In both parables, we are the branches and in both parables we are in the Messiah and partake of the life of the plant which is THE HOLY SPIRIT. In both parables, the branches that have no fruit are cut off.

This implies quite clearly and without contradiction that a saved person with the SPIRIT OF GOD can be cut off.

Now, read Revelation 3:5 and ask yourself why Yeshua mentions not being blotted out of the book of life. Because it is possible to be blotted out.

5 The person who overcomes in this way will wear white clothes, and I will never erase his name from the Book of Life. I will acknowledge his name in the presence of my Father and his angels.

The question we must now ask ourselves is:
Do we still believe that we cannot lose our salvation after being given THE SPIRIT OF GOD? If so, what does the above verses mean if not what it says?

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,606.00
Faith
Non-Denom
John 10:27-29 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2016
City of Brotherly Love
✟18,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 10:27-29 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

Your point is?

John 10:27-29
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

Recognize what it says and understand what it doesn't say. Then, compare it with biblical scripture, does your interpretation contradict scripture? If if does, then there's a problem. My question is: Do we still believe that we cannot lose our salvation after being given THE SPIRIT OF GOD? If so, what does the above verses mean if not what it says? (#1)

John 10:27-29 is saying no one can force us to lose our salvation. In other words, once we accept Yeshua as our Lord and Savior, there's nothing the devil can do in order to make us lose our salvation, because God is more powerful than the devil. Notice what this scripture doesn't mention, it doesn't mention that we don't* have the freewill to walk away from God and to lose our salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2016
City of Brotherly Love
✟18,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See post #2 in this thread. :)

There are others, but this one has already been posted, so that seems to be the one we should refer to you first.
Please read post #1 and #4 in this thread, and explain the meaning of the scriptures found in the post.
"The purpose of this forum is to equip members to defend the Christian faith to non-believers, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have" (1 Peter 3:15). It is a place for Christians to discuss, and sometimes debate, the difficult questions that challenge Christianity."
- Taken from the Forum Rules

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No one can snatch us out, but we can still wonder away.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

No one can snatch us out, but we can still wonder away.

How do you get around the part in red?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 19, 2016
City of Brotherly Love
✟18,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Depends on how you get around the part in blue?
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

What if you stopped following the Lord and had gone astray? What's your opinion about Judas Iscariot? Was he not saved at one point?

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Shalom,

Read John 15:1-6, now look at the following verses:

1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the vintner. 2 He cuts off every branch that does not produce fruit in me, and he cuts back every branch that does produce fruit, so that it might produce more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of what I’ve spoken to you.

4 Abide in me, and I will abide in you. Just as the branch cannot produce fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. The one who abides in me while I abide in him produces much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Unless a person abides in me, he is thrown away like a pruned branch and dries up. People gather such branches, throw them into a fire, and they are burned up.
Now, read Romans 11:17-22 then think about the following:

17 Now if some of the branches have been broken off, and you, a wild olive branch, have been grafted in their place to share the rich root of the olive tree, 18 do not boast about being better than the other branches. If you boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 Then you will say, “Branches were cut off so that I could be grafted in.” 20 That’s right! They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you remain only because of faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid! 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he certainly will not spare you, either.

Consider, then, the kindness and severity of God: his severity toward those who fell, but God’s kindness toward you—if you continue receiving his kindness. Otherwise, you too will be cut off.

In John's gospel, the plant is a vine plant and we are branches and Yeshua is the vine. In Romans the plant is a fig tree and it is speaking of Israel as a body and implies that it is Yeshua. In both parables, we are the branches and in both parables we are in the Messiah and partake of the life of the plant which is THE HOLY SPIRIT. In both parables, the branches that have no fruit are cut off.

This implies quite clearly and without contradiction that a saved person with the SPIRIT OF GOD can be cut off.

Now, read Revelation 3:5 and ask yourself why Yeshua mentions not being blotted out of the book of life. Because it is possible to be blotted out.

5 The person who overcomes in this way will wear white clothes, and I will never erase his name from the Book of Life. I will acknowledge his name in the presence of my Father and his angels.

The question we must now ask ourselves is:
Do we still believe that we cannot lose our salvation after being given THE SPIRIT OF GOD? If so, what does the above verses mean if not what it says?

The real issue about OSAS is, are you genuinely saved in the first place? If a person can fall away, and leave their salvation, reject Christ, deny Jesus is Gods One and only Son, that according to Hebrews it is not only impossible to renew that person, but they have blasphemed against the Holy Spirit, and that can not be forgiven. Maybe it should be Once Saved, Never to be Saved Again. Which would be OSNSA. A person better make real sure they do not turn against the Holy Spirit!

Once the Holy Spirit resides in the believer, as the Holy Spirit is a deposit of a guarantee of our salvation, then the question must be asked, if the Holy Spirit leaves a person he once resided in, will or can he come back again? I think Hebrews tells us the answer is no. By what I understand Paul to say, that the Holy Spirit comes into the life of a believer as an assurance to the Born Again, Saved, Follower, Believer on Jesus Christ that God Himself holds us and keeps us eternally secure, and no one (not even me, means no one) can pluck (remove) them from the eternal safe keeping of Creator Gods hand.

The keeping of a persons eternal soul does not depend on man being sinless after accepting Jesus Christ and His offer of salvation. The understanding I have of Eternal security, is based on Gods ability to hold which I have given to Him, my soul. When God says no one can be removed from His safe keeping, that is His Covenant to me. God sees me when I make a plea to save me, and I acknowledge I am a sinner and lost without Him, and I commit to be a Follower of Jesus Christ, that means God and I enter into a Covenant which can not be broken. God holds that Covenant and seals the Covenant with giving us his Holy Spirit in our life. That Covenant can not be broken, He is holding that as binding and never can God go back on Word. God knows my frame is made of dust, and my being has a sinful nature, and even knowing that God still holds our Covenant that he can not let go, it is solidly under His protection and safe keeping. even when I sin, He keeps me.

My wife and i have four adult children. No matter what they do or say, even reject us, curse the day they were born, disown us, they will be forever and always our children, nothing can change that. The same way it is when we become His child through Jesus Christ. No one can pluck us from our father Gods hand.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

What if you stopped following the Lord and had gone astray? What's your opinion about Judas Iscariot? Was he not saved at one point?
From all that we can tell from the Scriptural record, the answer would be "No."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If he was not saved at one point, why was he one of the disciples of the Messiah?
He obviously fulfilled some part of God's plan, but there's no particular reason to assume that every one of the Apostles must have been saved. Christ essentially wrote him off as a devil at the time of the betrayal, if you notice, and did not lament the loss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well ask yourself...when do we get eternal life?

Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.
Revelation 2:7 NIV

So we dont actually receive eternal life until after we die and are judged. It is only after we are judged that we receive the gift of eternal life. Only after then will we never loose that gift. Also notice who receives the right to eat from the tree of life...the victorious. Victorious as in the ones who "finished the race" and "persevered to the end". However, for those who did not persevere, they are not victorious. When they are judged, they will not be given the right to eat from the tree of life. Rather it will go simething like this:

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Matthew 7:21‭-‬23 NIV

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Depends on how you get around the part in blue?

Exactly, how is Judas any different from any other Christian who falls away?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He obviously fulfilled some part of God's plan, but there's no particular reason to assume that every one of the Apostles must have been saved. Christ essentially wrote him off as a devil at the time of the betrayal, if you notice, and did not lament the loss.
But did not Jesus call Peter the Devil?

Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”
Matthew 16:23 NIV

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Exactly, how is Judas any different from any other Christian who falls away?
"any other Christian" who falls away from what ? the 'church'? the MESSIAH ?
Judas was never a Christian, so that's one difference to start with.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well ask yourself...when do we get eternal life?

Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.
Revelation 2:7 NIV

So we dont actually receive eternal life until after we die and are judged.
That's one way of looking at it, but most people understand that we're talking about the ASSURANCE of salvation.

Upvote 0