On what basis do Christians reject other Gods?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sorry this is the case more so in my country Australia Though I have heard Obama mention the issue.
Yes, you are correct that there are those who have openly stated that if anyone voices an opinion that is not in conformity with the popular mythology of the Left, that he or she should be prosecuted. This has been stated openly and recently. Obama apparently feels this way himself.

What I was asking about concerned whom you might have had in mind in the case of a proposal that Islam shouldn't be allowed to exist, etc. THAT's one that I haven't heard of.

China is banning many Muslims practices and Russia is doing the same. I think Angola has banned Islam completely and other countries are stopping the building of Mosques and certain other practices.
OK, but those are countries that do not operate according to the standards we Americans or Aussies value. I didn't think you were referring to them.

We have had many calling to stop immigration of refugees from countries like Syria because they may harbor Muslim extremist.
Sure, but that's not a proposal to outlaw Islam in this country. It's a proposal to screen prospective immigrants, which both your country and my country have done routinely in past years.

But I dont want to just focus on this. I am surprised you havnt heard of the calls to have religion in general taken out of public life in secular society.
I have heard calls to have religion in general taken out of public life. They come from secularists and atheists. But you didn't mention that. You said there were voices calling, in the West, for a certain religion (Islam) not to exist. I haven't heard anyone making that call.

This is based on the legislation that have been slowly introduced that say no single religion should be adopted by secular society.
Well, that's always been forbidden (by our Constitution) in this country anyway. The push by secularists for a religion-free society is a different matter.

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How can we verify any prophecy? The Bible is a collection of stories that were apparently witnessed and recorded by men. What is stopping a writer inserting a little twist to the story which enables a so called prophecy to suddenly become true.
"

May I provide just a bit of information?

• Predicted ca. 855 BC: The prophet Elijah predicts Jezebel would be eaten by dogs upon her death in Jezreel. (1 Kings 21:23)– Fulfilled ca. 841 BC: Jezebel is killed in Jezreel and dogs eat her body (2 Kings 9:36).
  • Predicted ca. 760 BC: Amos predicts Israel would be restored as a nation and would never be uprooted again (Amos 9:15)–Fulfilled in 1948.
  • Predicted ca 732 BC: Isaiah predicts the Medo-Persian empire will conquer Babylon [Isaiah 13:17-18] and Babylon would become a wasteland.–Fulfilled in 538 BC when the Medes took over Babylon and 275 BC when the Seleucids forced all of the inhabitants to leave.
  • Predicted ca. 732 BC: Isaiah says Egypt and Ethiopia would be conquered by Assyria (Isaiah 20:3-5).–Fulfilled ca. 673-670 BC when Assyria conquers the northeast African nations.
  • Predicted ca. 701 BC: Isaiah claims Israel will be taken captive by the Babylonian empire (Isaiah 39).–Fulfilled ca. 597 & 586 BC: Babylon takes captives and sacks Jerusalem the first time then totally destroys Jerusalem about 10 years later.
  • Predicted ca. 589 BC: Ezekiel tells about the fall of the great city Tyre, claiming that the Lord “will cause many nations to come up against thee,” (Ezekiel 26, 27).–Fulfilled in 586-573 BC: Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon lays siege against the city. Fulfilled in 370s BC: a king of Cyprus conquers the city. Fulfilled in 332 BC: Alexander the Great conquers the city. Fulfilled in 315-316 BC: Antigonus, who served under Alexander, attacks and conquers the city. Fulfilled in 1124: The city falls to the Crusaders. Fulfilled in 1291: The city falls to the Muslim armies of the Mameluks.
  • Predicted ca. 543 BC: Daniel tells of a great Grecian king who would conquer the Persian empire but would have his kingdom divided four ways after his death (Daniel 8).–Fulfilled in 330 BC when Alexander the Great defeats Persia and 281 BC after the Greek generals who succeed Alexander reach an agreement after years of war to split the kingdom four ways.
  • Predicted ca. 536 BC: Daniel prophesies that the Greek empire would not go to Alexander the Great’s heirs (Daniel 11).–Fulfilled ca. 323-281 BC after Alexander’s death when his generals fight over the kingdom while shutting out (and killing) his heirs.
  • Predicted ca. 430 BC: Malachi prophesies that Yahweh’s name would be honored by the Gentiles (pagans) (Malachi 1:11).–Fulfilled 1st century AD to the present: Pagans worldwide have forsaken their paganism and have confessed that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father.
  • Predicted ca. 30 AD: Jesus tells his disciples that they will be persecuted and hated by the majority of the people on the earth because they follow him (Matthew 24:9).–Fulfilled 1st century AD to the present: Ever since the gospel of Jesus Christ has been preached, millions of true Christians worldwide have been mistreated or killed for the faith. (This is happening at an ever-increasing rate today.)

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟245,975.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I was asking about concerned whom you might have had in mind in the case of a proposal that Islam shouldn't be allowed to exist, etc. THAT's one that I haven't heard of.
Its something that I think will gradually creep up. Its not so much banning them completely at the moment but they are banning certain practices which are an important part of Islam so its almost saying they can be themselves in the west and now will have restrictions on their beliefs. When the Muslims want to build a new Mosque now there is a lot of objections like not in my backyard from people. If it were a Catholic church there would be no problems.

Like I said it seems to keep popping up when there is an act of terror that happens especially in the western countries. The more it will happen the more the call will be to stop this particular religion. There is a political party called one Nation whose main foundation is about banning immigration and mainly stopping Muslims in Australia. There are also groups popping up like regain Australia Party that are gaining support all the time. There is no doubt that the extreme Muslims will continue their campaign of terror. So I think the call for banning Islam will become greater as time goes on. It

OK, but those are countries that do not operate according to the standards we Americans or Aussies value. I didn't think you were referring to them.
Well it is also coming from the western countries but it is a little more restrained at the moment. Because they are free democratic societies they will hesitate to be so intolerant. But it wont be a total ban to begin with but a gradual restriction. But countries like Russia who do allow religious practices are more forth right and they are taking firmer action and many are applauding them.
After Paris Attacks, a Darker Mood Toward Islam Emerges in France
Secular France always had a complicated relationship with its Muslim community, but now it was tipping toward outright distrust, even hostility.

Sure, but that's not a proposal to outlaw Islam in this country. It's a proposal to screen prospective immigrants, which both your country and my country have done routinely in past years.
Its not outlawing Islam straight up. But each little act of restriction is denying some their rights. There is a trend towards restricting Islam and their practices.

I have heard calls to have religion in general taken out of public life. They come from secularists and atheists. But you didn't mention that. You said there were voices calling, in the West, for a certain religion (Islam) not to exist. I haven't heard anyone making that call.
The call for all religion to be taken out of society will follow. This is all linked and it is to do with secular views. Mainstream society is slowly eroding Christian beliefs away. It wasn't that long ago that we based our societies on Christian ideas such as with marriage and family. Now that is overtaken by the new pluralism and all inclusive views of secular society. So really we have no foundation for our morals and its based on whatever the most powerful and persuasive people or groups are. Because secular society cant take any sides it ends up with no position at all.

Well, that's always been forbidden (by our Constitution) in this country anyway. The push by secularists for a religion-free society is a different matter.
They probably wont ban it all together. Thats not how it works when they want to get rid of something. They will make policies and regulations that will virtually make it harder to practice and irrelevant to society. Thats a more subtle way of fazing religion out. But I also think there is a anti religious view out there as well from the new modern atheist movements.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Its something that I think will gradually creep up.
I see. It's a prediction, then.

Its not outlawing Islam straight up.
All right, but the suggestion that it is being called for right now is what caused me to question the comment.

The call for all religion to be taken out of society will follow. This is all linked and it is to do with secular views. Mainstream society is slowly eroding Christian beliefs away. It wasn't that long ago that we based our societies on Christian ideas such as with marriage and family. Now that is overtaken by the new pluralism and all inclusive views of secular society. So really we have no foundation for our morals and its based on whatever the most powerful and persuasive people or groups are. Because secular society cant take any sides it ends up with no position at all.
This--as opposed to the Moslem stuff--I can agree is underway. What I don't find persuasive is the linking of Islamic terrorism with the "Freedom from Religion" movement of Atheists, etc. that has been gaining in audacity and experiencing some success at the same time as people are worried about Islamic immigration and violence.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟243,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How then do you explain your position when or if asked: Why do you not believe in {insert the god(s) of any other religion here} ?

My first two questions were these:
  1. Does some transcendent reality exist?
  2. Is that reality personal or impersonal?
For various reasons I believe (1) to be true. I answered "personal" to the second question because of my understanding of the human person and because the cause that ultimately gave rise to us must have been greater than the effect it produced. You might also call God "super-personal" (as I believe C.S. Lewis did at some point), but I just take personal to mean possessing some form of intellect and will.

After those questions are answered the options are pretty much narrowed down to the Abrahamic religions (although certain flavors of Hinduism include personal aspects in God). Islam can be dismissed rather easily from historical considerations, which leave Judaism and Christianity. Of course at this point it gets more complicated, but the person of Jesus Christ led me to Christianity (for various reasons).

The actual process is of course filled with many other reasons and considerations, but that is a quick overview. Another significant criterion is a religion's ability to account for all of reality (in much the same way that a scientific theory might be desired to do so).

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟245,975.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see. It's a prediction, then.
Its a prediction based on whats happening now. Its more or less a natural progression. But i dont think anyone will outright ban Islam in one go as it is happening bit by bit. many countries have banned the burqa. Some are stopping the building of more Mosque or making it harder to get permissions. many people are having the attitude of not in my back yard. So everytime there is an extreme act of terror we can expect more people to start calling for Islam to be restricted.

All right, but the suggestion that it is being called for right now is what caused me to question the comment.
I was initially saying that some are calling for Islam to be restricted. But there are some who want it banned altogether. Like I said no one will allow it to be banned outright straight away.

This--as opposed to the Moslem stuff--I can agree is underway. What I don't find persuasive is the linking of Islamic terrorism with the "Freedom from Religion" movement of Atheists, etc. that has been gaining in audacity and experiencing some success at the same time as people are worried about Islamic immigration and violence.
Its not so much the extreme acts of some Muslims but the fallout which is reflected on all Muslims. People then blame all Muslims and the Islamic beliefs in general for causing the problems we have with conflicts between western societies and Islam. It just gives fuel to those who say religion should all be fazed out as it doesn't give religion a good name.

Remember atheists dont see Muslims and Christians as different. They just see many groups under the banner of religion that are causing problems in one way or another. It is causing people to distance themselves from all religion as there are more people in the lime light who are being shown up than the good its suppose to do. So there are more examples to be used against religion to say "see once again religion shows it causes more trouble than its worth so it isn't really working".

Upvote 0