On what basis do Christians reject other Gods?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. There is a lot of subjectivity in those answers though.
That's the nature of religion. It deals with a subject or subjects that cannot be proven in a scientific manner. As a result, when one is asked about "why you believe?" it has to be because the evidence is sufficient to "persuade," not that the question can be answered absolutely.

"Its proved out" might be a lengthy discussion all on its own. Not sure why you don't feel they are comparable. Why is it necessary for them to posit that there is a god?
That was the question you asked: "Why do you not believe in {insert the god(s) of any other religion here} ?"

It's also the question asked in the title of the thread. Why I reject the gods of other religions is going to be answered, in some cases, by noting that they don't have any.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I understand that the Bible says you must not worship other gods. But I would like to go further back than that.

What made you accept the words in the Bible in the first place? Why did you choose those words over the Qu'ran or the Bhagavad Gita or any other religion's book?

How then do you explain your position when or if asked: Why do you not believe in {insert the god(s) of any other religion here} ?
I believe the Bible is inspired by a one and only true God, with a name, Yahweh, I don't believe those other religious texts are inspired by God, but are mans inventions...

God Bless

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do the other books not also show thematic unity? Any idea how they fail there?

I am not really sure why a thematic unity is not an expected result for a collection of books and writings about a single topic that is pro that topic. Would you not be able to collate a compilation of writings on just about any subject and ensure thematic unity?

I think its reasonable to assume that whenever there were obvious flaws or conflicting views, the conflicts would have not been included in the compilation. This is not trying to find a conspiracy. Is it not unreasonable to expect a compilation of writings on say "The invention and development of the rifle" to have thematic unity? Or have I perhaps misunderstood the definition of the term?

The thematic unity of the Bible is remarkable in light of the nature of the Bible's formation. Of course, other religious texts show thematic unity, but none of them were written over 1500 years by people from such widely varying walks of life as those who wrote the Bible, and in three different languages, and on three different continents. The Bible was not written by an established priestly caste that one would expect to be carefully uniform in its religious teachings. There was no overarching monolithic human organization that maintained oversight of the writing of the Scriptures. Cupbearers, sheepherders, kings, lawyers, doctors and fishermen (to name just a few) all contributed to the writing of the Bible. As I said, one would, consequently, expect significant contradiction and non-uniformity in the general themes of Scripture as the writers of it changed, and their cultural and personal circumstances varied, and the language in which they wrote shifted. But this isn't what one encounters in the text of the Bible. Instead, there is amazing uniformity in the grand narrative of God's Word.

I can't really speak to your assumptions about redaction of the biblical text except to say that your assumption suggests an antagonistic stance toward the Bible. Why wouldn't you choose instead to give the Bible the benefit of the doubt in matters where you have no concrete reason to find fault? I think the fact that the Bible delivers its accounts "warts and all" counters the notion that there was editing of the Scriptures that went on. Abraham is shown to be something of a coward, Moses was a murderer, King David was an adulterer and murderer, the prophet Elijah is pictured despondent and afraid, the apostle Peter was a hot-head and a betrayer of Christ, Paul was a killer of Christians, and so on. These "warts" on the major figures of biblical history, are contrary to typical religious propaganda that polishes and glorifies its religious icons. Surely these ugly truths about these prominent figures of the Bible would have been edited out if there was some sort of editing that had gone on.

Does discovering ancient cities and human remains mentioned in the bible really give the stories much more credibility. Does the future discovery of a buried empire state building, really prove that king kong existed?

But your analogy isn't very apt. The story of King Kong is not offered as a fact of history; the stories of the Bible are. Names, dates, events are all recorded in Scripture with the intent of certifying the events that are related.
And when the accuracy of what the Bible reports is tested, it has been found again and again to be very high. This, I think, lends significant credence to the view that the stories of the Bible are not merely mythology. Other religious texts, in contrast, make little or no effort at all to be historically accurate; fiction is the norm for these other texts. And this sets them distinctly apart from the Bible.

I therefore accept for now that you find the prophecies to be impressive. I take a different view. I find them horribly vague - if they can even be believed in the first place. Lets agree to have different views on this one for now :)

Yes, we will have to disagree if you think the prophecies are "horribly vague" and that they have been fulfilled in an equally vague way.

Does that not give the Jewish, Hindu and Budhist faiths a "win" in this category then? Have they not maintained stories and writings for even longer?

I don't often see Christian using this as a pro in their discussions, so interesting that you see it that way. I suspect that there are many more scientifically dubious claims in the bible. I am surprised though that you see this as a point that makes the bible stand out against other religious texts.

Well, what you see as "scientifically dubious" is a matter, not of science, but of philosophy. Who says that the claims of Scripture are scientifically dubious? Scientists who have ruled out a priori that the supernatural does not exist (or those with a philosophical commitment to a naturalistic/materialistic view of the universe). And when such scientists come to the interpretation of the facts of science, they naturally interpret in accordance with their philosophical presuppositions. I don't see any of the antagonism between science and the claims of Scripture that you or many naturalistic scientists do. But that is because my presuppositions differ fundamentally from yours and theirs (by including the supernatural). But, again, this is a matter of philosophy, not science.

Do members of other faiths also not have similar personal experiences?
Did the bible not "borrow" much of the teachings from Judaism?

Are you suggesting that the experiences of those of other faiths somehow nullify my own experiences?

Are you not aware that the New Testament is considered by Christians as the fulfillment of the Old Testament? Jesus was a Jew and his life and teaching the fulfillment of the Old Testament Scriptures. He did not borrow from Judaism so much as he was the culmination of its beliefs, practices and prophecies.

None of the points I raised serve on their own (except, perhaps, for prophecy) as a knock-out punch in favor of the Christian faith or the divine origin of the Bible. Instead they create a strong cumulative argument or justification for the Christian's belief in the divine origin of Scripture.

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How then do you explain your position when or if asked: Why do you not believe in {insert the god(s) of any other religion here} ?
It starts with the fact that, by definition, there can be only one eternal being from whom all being derives.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was thinking of this just recently. The reason is that the Bible has stood up to the criticisms that have been leveled against it for centuries and from all quarters. It is the record of God working through a special people, as recorded by many writers over a long period of time. It's proved out.

Other religions' sacred writings are more in the form of inspirational poetry or advice for living, that's about all. The Koran, for example, not only includes much that is borrowed from Christianity, Judaism, and Arabic paganism and then rearranged by the author, but the text admits that this is the case. So also the Book of Mormon, whomever the author of it might have been, and the various writings that are prominent in Oriental religions. Many of these don't even posit that there is a God, so they are not comparable IMHO.
I agree with what you say. The bible is intertwined with historical events and we can see this in the many archaeological digs that have happened. Also Jesus is seen by many as a real figure in history and even Mohammad of the Koran acknowledges Him. Jesus is the only person who claimed to be the only one who was God and was the way to God and there were no others.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with what you say. The bible is intertwined with historical events and we can see this in the many archaeological digs that have happened. Also Jesus is seen by many as a real figure in history and even Mohammad of the Koran acknowledges Him. Jesus is the only person who claimed to be the only one who was God and was the way to God and there were no others.
I'm glad to see you write this, steve, because I think that there are many Christians who don't realize how unique their faith is, having unconsciously accepted as true the claims of non-believers when they've said that there are many religions in the world and they differ mainly according to what they call their version of God.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad to see you write this, steve, because I think that there are many Christians who don't realize how unique their faith is, having unconsciously accepted as true the claims of non-believers when they've said that there are many religions in the world and they differ mainly according to what they call their version of God.
I guess it comes down to experience and time to become wiser in the faith. I think that people can get lost in all the opinions of everyone and the pressures of a world view that tries to challenge our faith especially when people are falling away from belief nowadays. But the bible tells us to hang on in there and keep the faith. I put it down to the truth of God through Jesus. There can be so many subjective views about things but the truth is behind all these views people are looking for some truth. You can't have many truths as thats a contradiction in itself so there has to be one. Jesus said He was the truth and so I will give Him the trust on that. So far its worked out.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I also suspect that they are willing to believe what I referred to for two other reasons: 1) the critic, the unbeliever, seems impartial--which we have come to think of as unthreatening and fair-minded--when saying that all religions are essentially the same except that they have different names for God; and 2) they suppose that what makes Christianity different from non-Christian religions is simply that it's true while the claims of the followers of other gods are mistaken. True or not, the religion that is Christianity is unique in various and important ways, however.

Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe primarily because (1) of the fulfilled prophecies, because (2) what little I understand of Jesus' messages, if any, resonates with me as something I would believe to be true of a good God, and because (3) if there is a God and there is a place called heaven, then I think Jesus is my only chance because I have no good works, so I could only get into Heaven through grace, and no other religion. I thought there was one time God talked to me in a dream/sleep paralysis, but sometimes I wonder if it was just a dream, and the dream was about 10 years ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I also suspect that they are willing to believe what I referred to for two other reasons: 1) the critic, the unbeliever, seems impartial--which we have come to think of as unthreatening and fair-minded--when saying that all religions are essentially the same except that they have different names for God; and 2) they suppose that what makes Christianity different from non-Christian religions is simply that it's true while the claims of the followers of other gods are mistaken. True or not, the religion that is Christianity is unique in various and important ways, however.
I think the first point is referring to political correctness. By being open to all views but not allowing one single belief to be the one we abide by. By allowing all people to be included no matter what their beliefs, lifestyles act are all about. But its one thing for secular laws and legislation and its another for our morals. The law doesn't always take morality into consideration and is not always morally right.

Though I agree that we shouldn't force people to do something and everyone should have a fair go it is not necessarily proven to be the best thing. Political correctness and subjective views are open to whatever is the trend of the day and has no real solid foundation for building any lasting moral foundation for a society. It comes and goes and is subject to many influences or power and personal motives. Thats why I guess we should mic church and state. But what this world regards as peace and truth is not what Gods peace and truth is all about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think the first point is referring to political correctness. By being open to all views but not allowing one single belief to be the one we abide by.
There's probably some of that involved, but I think most people are automatically sympathetic to the argument that "You believe in X and I believe in Y but we all can get along."

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's probably some of that involved, but I think most people are automatically sympathetic to the argument that "You believe in X and I believe in Y but we all can get along."
To a non believer they will see all religions as the same. They look from the outside without a personal experience. So maybe belief and religion are no different than say people following different political parties. So they may say that all beliefs are the same and may only see a Christians view of belief being true as just a claim. They will see all religions making claims and put them in the same box of people that have a particular practice that is part of human evolution. They wont experience faith from the inside so they can be independent observers.

From this point of view they will never see any belief through the experience of faith. They will never take that chance to put their trust in something they feel is irrelevant and unreal. Its not until you take that step and cross that line. Despite the unknown, uncertainty and even what secular views will call an illogical idea and give in to what is offered. It is only then that they will see beyond the superficial view of belief in God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To a non believer they will see all religions as the same.
Yes, but the point I was making was not that. It was that when someone recognizes your faith or church as valid, just as valid as they think theirs is, it tends to be a well-received position because it's NOT antagonistic.

It doesn't presume that there are not differences or that one or the other church might be right and the other one wrong. However, this appeal for mutual respect may lead (as you're thinking it does) to desensitizing people to the fact that it does matter which one is which.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but the point I was making was not that. It was that when someone recognizes your faith or church as valid, just as valid as they think theirs is, it tends to be a well-received position because it's NOT antagonistic.

It doesn't presume that there are not differences or that one or the other church might be right and the other one wrong. However, this appeal for mutual respect may lead (as you're thinking it does) to desensitizing people to the fact that it does matter which one is which.
OK I understand now. This does have a bit of the political correctness in it. In secular society and especially in governing bodies they cant take one belief over another. They have to be neutral and this is just an extension of a democratic society. At the same time its suppose to allow any religion the right and freedom to exist and practice. But that doesn't always work out. If you think about it there are many restrictions we live under which we accept as part and parcel of that society. Like in my country there are really only two choices for government. If you dont like any you dont have much choice and have to accept a way of governing that you dont agree with.

Then there are many regulations that restrict us from doing certain things to either keep the peace and control of society and make sure people are doing the right thing. Look at anti discrimination laws or the rights to practice religion. If people were so tolerant and kind that they naturally accepted that all religions were the same then why have the rules to force people and make sure they do the right thing. But these laws also allow crack pots and other beliefs that we may as a society disagree with. If you look at Islam it can have some extreme ideas and a free society has to allow that to exist just as much as any religion.

Now some are saying that this particular religion shouldn't exist or have as many rights as it leads to violence. Whether that is true is another thing but the fact is societies attitudes to allowing all religions really only works if that religion agrees with what they believe anyway. When you dig below the surface there isn't as much acceptance as it is portrayed. I think there is also a subtle campaign to get rid of all religion from society as well. So society is evolving and changing all the time and is subject to whatever the views are of the majority. There is no consistence solid foundation because its subjective and comes from people rather than God.

But I think the perception that a all inclusive view that all religions are good is not as all inclusive and accepting as portrayed. Its a great ideal that is promoted as part of a modern secular society. But I think it doesn't work out and leads to conflicts because we really need to have a common foundation of beliefs and morals so that we are united and on the same page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Now some are saying that this particular religion shouldn't exist or have as many rights as it leads to violence.
WHO ARE these 'some are saying' folks, and how does that relate to the discussion?

But I think the perception that a all inclusive view that all religions are good is not as all inclusive and accepting as portrayed. Its a great ideal that is promoted as part of a modern secular society. But I think it doesn't work out and leads to conflicts because we really need to have a common foundation of beliefs and morals so that we are united and on the same page.
I hear you. There definitely is a restructuring going on.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
WHO ARE these 'some are saying' folks, and how does that relate to the discussion?
The some are the voices in society that are saying that any belief that is associated with extreme views should be banned. This has stemmed from the recent events to do with ISIS. So now there is a fear about any Muslims so there are people calling out for all Islam to be banned. How it relates is that the same society that was saying having a tolerance for all religions and coming across as accepting is not wanting to exclude certain beliefs.

I hear you. There definitely is a restructuring going on.
I think this relates back to how secular society tries to be all inclusive which may seem like a commendable trait. But in reality it only undermines a united society as it has no clear united front. I think what secular society thinks is peace and harmony is different to what God represents. Secular society tries to keep the peace and unity by being all things to all people. By putting in many frameworks and props that will cover a multitude of possible situations so that it all somehow holds together. But Jesus said that He was the way , the Truth and the Life. So in Him we have all we need for peace and the best way to live.

God covered all that as He is all knowing. But we cant force that on people as they have to choose themselves. God wants us to freely choose to believe and follow Him. So all we can do is promote the idea that God is the best way and lead by example. Hopefully the example of Jesus and His light will shine through to others. That is why as it says in the bible that Gods Kingdom will come and Jesus will be ruler. Then we will know true peace as Jesus is the prince of peace. But it will not happen in this world as it is opposed to that. Heaven can begin here on earth but only in a persons heart.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The some are the voices in society that are saying that any belief that is associated with extreme views should be banned.
Who's that?

This has stemmed from the recent events to do with ISIS. So now there is a fear about any Muslims so there are people calling out for all Islam to be banned.
I certainly haven't heard anyone talk like this. That's why I need to know who you are referring to if we are to make anything out of the point. Although I can agree with some of the rest of what you say, this observation that's the "kickoff" to the rest of your points seems hypothetical or, maybe, even a mistake.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Who's that?

I certainly haven't heard anyone talk like this. That's why I need to know who you are referring to if we are to make anything out of the point. Although I can agree with some of the rest of what you say, this observation that's the "kickoff" to the rest of your points seems hypothetical or, maybe, even a mistake.
Sorry this is the case more so in my country Australia Though I have heard Obama mention the issue. China is banning many Muslims practices and Russia is doing the same. I think Angola has banned Islam completely and other countries are stopping the building of Mosques and certain other practices. We have had many calling to stop immigration of refugees from countries like Syria because they may harbor Muslim extremist. We have had protests about Muslims building Mosques and about them in general. There is a hatred and fear building up against Muslims. This is causing a division among people. It seemed to have become an issue every time there is an incident like the one in Paris.

But I dont want to just focus on this. I am surprised you havnt heard of the calls to have religion in general taken out of public life in secular society. This is based on the legislation that have been slowly introduced that say no single religion should be adopted by secular society. So we are moving away from our Christian roots towards no religion. This is the beginning of phasing religion out of society completely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0