Astropolis

Jun 20, 2015
Berkshire UK
✟216.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I've been writing SF for most of my life, some of which has been published in the mainstream. However some years back I wrote a major SF blockbuster which is not explicitly Christian, but which carries a Christian subtext. In a sense God is in the background, even though the characters don't quite identify him.

This is the sort of thing that I mean:

The spaceyard at St. Barbara removed the stained deck plate, where Alan had died, from her ship and replaced it with a new one. Everything that was known of him was engraved on the durable, almost eternal, alloy of the old plate, which would be his covering for all time.

As was becoming to one who had fallen in the cause of the Confederation, even though he had not been a member of Space Fleet, Space Fleet came to do him honour, and the officers sang the hymns, old when mankind first left the Earth, that are proper to the passing of an engineer. So they laid him in his grave, and his story with him, as they would have done for an officer.

Jane put aside her uniform and stood alone, by his grave, in simple loose black trousers and smock. When the earth had fallen on his coffin, she knelt and with her own hands planted roses to his memory.

As she shook the soil from her fingers something about the glade became different, as though an immense presence hung there. A presence that offered no promises and uttered no threats, but merely said, ‘Follow.’

That last warm afternoon on Topanga had been the same. She'd known then that joining Space Fleet meant grief and danger—and sheer hard work. But it was right—and rightness mattered to her. She could have turned away and gone home, or anywhere else she chose. But she'd have had to live with knowing that she wasn't doing what she knew was the right thing.

And this was the same. After what had happened nobody would blame her—or even be surprised—if she turned away now, resigned her commission and found a quiet place to live. But she'd know that it wasn't right—and still the silent voice said, ‘Follow.’

She stood up. The breeze was stronger now and she turned towards its healing coolness. For a moment fear welled up within her—going on offered no certainties, no promises. But a part of her had died and now she could hold her own life lightly.

She nodded faintly, accepting the call.

And death no longer had any power over her.

I've finally decided to go indie with it, and put it on Amazon, Kobo and Nook. If anyone is interested there are links at arcturian-spacefleet.com.

Now is that a conversion experience? Jane doesn't know who or what is calling to her, but recognises goodness.

Lee Fey

Lieutenant
Jan 20, 2004
New York
✟15,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, it seems like an excerpt from a decently written work. I have to be honest, I was wondering, when I saw the name of your thread, if it would be about some of the more philosophical elements of following Jesus and loving science fiction. I actually wrote my undergrad capstone paper on approaching the science fictional fandom, or geeks, as a people group that believers ought to respect and approach with the same dignity they would any indigenous population. I would also say that there are some things that I have pulled away from analysing the grey zone I've inhabited most of my life, where Christianity and science fiction intersect.

Upvote 0

Astropolis

Jun 20, 2015
Berkshire UK
✟216.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Well, it seems like an excerpt from a decently written work.

Thanks for that. Interesting comment, also thanks.

To me storytelling, and SF in particular, is a way of expressing ideas that are difficult to get across in any other form.

Upvote 0

Lee Fey

Lieutenant
Jan 20, 2004
New York
✟15,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SF tends to train its readers how to read it, which makes it unique among genres. It questions the basic assumptions any reader might bring to the story, which is especially potent in short story format, which SF lends itself towards very nicely. In doing so, it trains its readers to look at the world around them with such a critical eye, to ask questions, to question established traditions, and to come to one's own conclusions. I have found such skills invaluable in my walk with Christ. I tend to believe that the truth will out, too, meaning if someone is actually looking for answers, they'll find them, and I think that's a Biblical stand point as well. God has made himself known, and most men prefer the darkness so turn away from him, but for those genuinely looking, he's there to be found.

Also, SF acts as a kind of folklore for the geek culture, a defining mythology with an open canon. If someone could just write something profound enough make it to the inner circle, like the Matrix and Inception and Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and Star Wars, and point to Christ, then that can have world-altering consequences.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's certainly possible, just as any genre can. It's difficult to provide the entire Gospel in a way that isn't plainly "messianic" (such as The Matrix is), but different aspects can and are.

Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise—dwell on these things. -- Philippians 4

SF worthy of Christian reading need only fill the "Philippian Prescription."

Upvote 0