Oklahoma to require STD test to get marriage license...

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think it's smart to get yourself and your partner tested for STDs before doing anything with each other.

The state or government does NOT need to be involved in mandating stuff like that, though.

Then again, maybe they shouldn't be in charge of marriage at all. That'd solve a lot of problems.

I absolutely agree that sexually active adults should test for STDs, and that open discussions by both parties should take place, so that both parties are fully informed on the other's status. But I totally agree with you that the government should have nothing to do with this.

ISTM that some people - and they seem to be those who are terrified and/or horrified about sex - want to pass the most draconian laws possible to prevent others from having fun. Oh, and they're typically adherents of the "less government" party. <snicker>

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So were a lot of things. Slavery, for example.
LMAO

This thread gets sillier with increased entertainment value with every post I read. Yeah let's bring in the race card! Why not? Of course it's 100% irrelevant, but since when did that matter? :clap:

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
LMAO

This thread gets sillier with increased entertainment value with every post I read. Yeah let's bring in the race card! Why not? Of course it's 100% irrelevant, but since when did that matter? :clap:

Would you prefer "Just because it used to be the norm, doesn't mean it was right or correct"?

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well that's not something I've heard of nor do I support. I think it should certainly be a choice...just like getting an ultrasound before deciding on abortion.
No it's not a choice to "decide" that your kids can go to school and infect other kids with potentially deadly diseases. People with STDs only affect their sexual partners who choose to have sex with them, these unvaccinated kids affect wide swathes of people who didn't choose to contract these diseases.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It's just common sense, you don't need a goverment to tell you this.
You just answered your own question. Because it's common sense, that's exactly why it's needed. In fact it's why we need laws in the first place. Common sense is the ultimate oxymoron.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have no idea what that means.

I prefer staying on topic. ie STD tests to get married.

The point I believe they were trying to make (though if I'm wrong I am sorry!) is that just because such tests were the norm in the past (as mentioned by Mach), doesn't mean that they were right or correct (like other things, such as slavery).

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The American Paradox will always be a part of the USA and her citizens. We want government intervention, but we don't want too much government intervention and we only want the government to intervene where we agree it should intervene.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The point I believe they were trying to make (though if I'm wrong I am sorry!) is that just because such tests were the norm in the past (as mentioned by Mach), doesn't mean that they were right or correct (like other things, such as slavery).

You can't beat tradition, right? If tradition says you should do something, then who are we to say that tradition is dumb, dangerous or just flat out wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sojourner4Christ

I am born again (the world calls me Christian).
Oct 18, 2008
In the Lord I live, and move, and have my being (A
✟779.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
these unvaccinated kids affect wide swathes of people who didn't choose to contract these diseases.
This is party line propaganda, void of documented fact.

The American Paradox will always be a part of the USA and her citizens. We want government intervention, but we don't want too much government intervention and we only want the government to intervene where we agree it should intervene.
Indeed. So should we keep on sinning that grace might abound? Heaven forbid! God says it's never too late to do the right thing.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such tests were the norm many years ago. No big deal

This. It used to be done all the time.

If a person doesn't have an STD, they have nothing to worry about. And if, God forbid, you're unknowingly marrying a sneaky slimeball who has one and wasn't going to disclose it, this will be a protective measure.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If this is true then a major HIPAA violation would take place and the State could (and should) be sued for millions. So, good luck to them on that.

If the person consents to the test, they're probably signing something that gives the state permission to gather the information and inform their partner if it comes back positive.

Again, if you're clean and not trying to sneak into a marriage without disclosing a communicable disease to your spouse, you've got nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
well it just seems to fit the mentality that alot of republicans seem to have of, "Aids is a gay disease." sort of thing, there are these ideas going around that most STD's are with gays, wich arn't true, but people still have that kind of idea.

I'm not saying it is, but it would fit with the other bill a few weeks ago that would require a clergy to give a marriage license. Just reminds me of the abortion laws, "Well we can't ban abortion, but were going to make it so it's impossible for any clinic to fit the requirements to give abortions." they can't ban gay marriage, but they can try to put so many hurtles and ways that gays can be denied a license they might as well not be able too.

We also see the, "Gays have higher STD rates in X Y and Z STD." ignoring that majority of other std's are more prevelant in straights.

I think you're making a really big stretch here trying to connect things that don't really seem related at all.

I've not seen anyone saying that gay people have higher STD rates, OR that this test is meant to target gays or people with AIDS, when you've got plenty of other STD's out there. HPV is the most common STD on the planet, and is spread by both gays and straights.

How is this test a "hurdle" for anyone? It's a needle stick. It doesn't stop anyone from getting married. It simply means your spouse-to-be will be informed if you've been lying about your status. Maybe THAT will be a hurdle to getting down the aisle, but in the case of someone lying about their status, I'd be happy to see the victim able to make an informed decision about whether to stay in the relationship or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's you.

It's not. But ranting and whining about "gay rights" and "gay issues" is the hottest new trend, so people jump on it even when it makes no sense. I bet it's all big pharmacies...no wait, a right-wing conspiracy! Yeah!

see LOL

:doh:

Well said.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No it's not a choice to "decide" that your kids can go to school and infect other kids with potentially deadly diseases. People with STDs only affect their sexual partners who choose to have sex with them, these unvaccinated kids affect wide swathes of people who didn't choose to contract these diseases.

But likewise, if you refuse to disclose your STD status before getting married, your new spouse didn't choose to contract your STD, now did they? And the repercussions could be anything from the annoying and embarrassing, to chronic, to terminal. Kinda serious. Yes, we probably all agree that anyone with a brain should make sure they know their fiance's STD status well before the wedding, but there will be all kinds of exceptions to that. Someone doesn't want to push the issue and hurt someone's feelings, someone's terrified of needles, someone's just soooo in love they don't even care, etc etc etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Such tests were the norm many years ago. No big deal
Yep.

The tests may not be as meaningful now since abstinence before marriage is no longer the norm, if it ever was.

Still, if a couple feels the need for the government to sanction their marriage, then it is not unreasonable for the government to set conditions for its sanction.

Upvote 0