Oklahoma: AP American History Banned For Not Teaching American Exceptionalism

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,610.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True. Like should blacks (and the white guilt liberals) keep hating people who tout the Confederate flag because of the whole slavery thing that's been over for so long? Should they have a hissy when people talk about finally eliminating "affirmative action" (ie reverse discrimination)? As you say, they need to stop hating.
It's not so much the whole slavery thing as it is the more recent whole opposition to civil rights thing. Besides, it's a traitor flag.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can't help but wonder just how many non-native people who have told me to get over the atrocities committed against my people in this country have a "Never Forget 9-1-1" bumper sticker on their car. I know how they would react if I told them to just "get over" and forget about all the Americans who died on 9/11.

People who compare events that happened hundreds of years ago to ones that happened in living memory of most of humanity are special.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sorry but the attempted genocide against my entire race is not something I find humorous or the deaths of millions of my people something to laugh about.

Is there a group of people who haven't had genocide attempted against them or who haven't had millions of their people killed?

In the grand scheme of things, if nobody's tried to kill you in recent memory, you should consider yourself lucky.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here is the first from Dana Lone Elk - "We are 1% of the population of our native homeland. We have no choice but to be loud and you will hear us."

And the second is the motto from Idle No More, the Indigenous Rights Movement - "Until they respect our existence, they can expect our resistance."

If you're only 1% of the population, how much resistance can you really give?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Like how some people take offense and get "fitin mad" when someone badmouths the Confederacy some of their ancestors died and fought for.

The Confederacy was a traitorous group that tried to perpetuate crimes against humanity and refused to evolve in a new moral age. They were on the wrong side of history.

The Confederacy fought for the right to continue to hold human beings in bondage and treat them like property for their economic benefit. Raping, breeding, and treating an entire class of people like cattle for economic gain is about as close to evil as you can get without a Swastika on your flag.

Just because your ancestors were on the wrong side of history doesn't mean I need to feel all weepy because others can't understand why the Confederate flag warms your heart.

There are many flags throughout history that were on the side of evil and tyranny, the Confederate flag is little different. And if we forget that or try to glorify it, then if we aren't careful our American flag won't be much different

That's nice.

Does it change the treasonous acts?

Context is everything. America's succession from Britain is defensible and easily arguable from a moral point of view. The Crown was unfair and unjust in their rule of the Colonies. America initially tried negotiation and moral arguments for fair treatment and was denied and oppressed.

Between that and actually winning the war, America (in terms of its fight with Britain) has the moral high ground.

The same can NOT be said about the Confederacy.

I feel much the same way about someone who would get violent over something that happened before their grandparents were born..

If what happened to your grandparents and their grandparents still impacts your life today, then it is still relevant today...

...Should the people whose ancestors were raped and murdered by the Mongols keep hating them?.

If the Mongols' actions today are similar or a result of those aspects that enabled that rape and murder then yes....

...Should the Europeans hate the Christians because they wiped out their pagan religious practices?.

If the Christians still act in a way that threatens or harms other religious practices then yes.

...At some point the hate has to end.

At some point understanding needs to begin. The attitude of "get over it" is easy to say when you aren't the oppressed or when your life isn't negatively impacted by the historically events

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.