Oklahoma: AP American History Banned For Not Teaching American Exceptionalism

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I support reverting the status of the "state" of Oklahoma to Indian Territory.

As do I. And I support reverting the status of America back to sovereign NDN land someday and reclaiming our ancestral homeland.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You might as well walk up to an American NDN and slap him rather than say "Hooray for Manifest Destiny" to his face. You may think it's acceptable to say such a thing online where you can hide yourself, but out in the real world, I can assure you that such an insult would be aggressively retaliated against if you were to say that in front of any NDN. It is because what you said is gravely dishonorable of my people and of my ancestors. It is a personal insult to them and to me. But I ask you sincerely, do you know what the concept of Manifest Destiny did to my NDN ancestors in the United States or do you not care? I will tell if you do not know. If you do know and yet you don't care, then I can't help you show compassion when it becomes obvious to me that no compassion for my people exists.

Did you intend to paint the "NDN" as a violent primitive people?

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Guys, you are a wonderful bunch of people with a wonderful country (and a particularly wonderful constitution), but you really need to get over this idea of American Exceptionalism, because it's silly.

Agreed.

But when Americans like myself say that, we're automatically seen as not "loving" the country, whatever that means.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ironically, the original notion of "American Exceptionalism" referred to the Christian communalism -- wealthier families sharing theirs with the community for common good -- and was closer to the Nordic welfare state model and the antithesis of the selfish, über-individualistic love and pursuit of Mammon and therefore the opposite of what the United States of America was to become: a land of unbridled greed and every man & woman for themselves.

If the original "American Exceptionalism" were tried to be taught in today's US schools, I think it would be banned for un-American ideology and not teaching the love of money & material, and spend-spend-spend at all costs.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You might as well walk up to an American NDN and slap him rather than say "Hooray for Manifest Destiny" to his face. You may think it's acceptable to say such a thing online where you can hide yourself, but out in the real world, I can assure you that such an insult would be aggressively retaliated against if you were to say that in front of any NDN. It is because what you said is gravely dishonorable of my people and of my ancestors. It is a personal insult to them and to me. But I ask you sincerely, do you know what the concept of Manifest Destiny did to my NDN ancestors in the United States or do you not care? I will tell if you do not know. If you do know and yet you don't care, then I can't help you show compassion when it becomes obvious to me that no compassion for my people exists.

Not a fan of Civ V, eh?

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
One of the problems some of my friends have is just not understanding how certain issues can be such a sensitive subject.

My roommate in College was Jewish, his grandparents along with 90% of his family did not survive the Holocaust. Well, one day a bunch of us were out and about and someone made some joke about Jews not being a big fan of "Showers" and then said person couldn't understand why I was holding my roommate back and preventing my roommate from beating his face in.

It was just a joke, what's the big deal?

Well, for some people it's a joke--- for others the joke feels like a red hot poker being stuck into a long suffering wound that can never heal.

American History is such a wound. The history of our country is filled with a lot of pain and suffering and wrong and yes dare I say evil. IMO, we as a country have evolved for the better, but that evolution will be short lived if we fail to understand where we've come from and the mistakes we've made along the way.

And a big mistake imo is not understanding and properly appreciating the gravitas of what was done to American Indians just a couple of hundred years ago.

Please don't make light of it.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
One of the problems some of my friends have is just not understanding how certain issues can be such a sensitive subject.

My roommate in College was Jewish, his grandparents along with 90% of his family did not survive the Holocaust. Well, one day a bunch of us were out and about and someone made some joke about Jews not being a big fan of "Showers" and then said person couldn't understand why I was holding my roommate back and preventing my roommate from beating his face in.

It was just a joke, what's the big deal?

Well, for some people it's a joke--- for others the joke feels like a red hot poker being stuck into a long suffering wound that can never heal.

American History is such a wound. The history of our country is filled with a lot of pain and suffering and wrong and yes dare I say evil. IMO, we as a country have evolved for the better, but that evolution will be short lived if we fail to understand where we've come from and the mistakes we've made along the way.

And a big mistake imo is not understanding and properly appreciating the gravitas of what was done to American Indians just a couple of hundred years ago.

Please don't make light of it.

Like how some people take offense and get "fitin mad" when someone badmouths the Confederacy some of their ancestors died and fought for.

Yeah it's just that dumb.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think it speaks a lot about a person's character if that person makes light of or makes jokes about the deaths of other people, no matter when those people died. It tells me they have no honor, integrity or respect for life. It also tells me they aren't the kind of person I want to associate myself with or allow my children to associate with either. I truly feel sorry for them because they have such a low view of life around them and of another person's death and suffering.

I feel much the same way about someone who would get violent over something that happened before their grandparents were born.

Should the people whose ancestors were raped and murdered by the Mongols keep hating them?

Should the Europeans hate the Christians because they wiped out their pagan religious practices?

At some point the hate has to end.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If we don't start laughing about the things that destroyed those before us, they will destroy us, too.

At least that is my view of that.

Some people turn that hatred into their identity.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I feel much the same way about someone who would get violent over something that happened before their grandparents were born.

Should the people whose ancestors were raped and murdered by the Mongols keep hating them?

Should the Europeans hate the Christians because they wiped out their pagan religious practices?

At some point the hate has to end.
True. Like should blacks (and the white guilt liberals) keep hating people who tout the Confederate flag because of the whole slavery thing that's been over for so long? Should they have a hissy when people talk about finally eliminating "affirmative action" (ie reverse discrimination)? As you say, they need to stop hating.

Upvote 0