1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

Oh my! Gay Bible?

Discussion in 'Conservative Christianity' started by CruciFixed, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Nadiine

Nadiine New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    well technically, that has to be wrong since the verses were written over 2000 yrs ago, we're clearly "closer" to the end than before
    ;) :p

The thing is that their reply would be they believe scripture differently -
    that alot of this stuff isn't sin at all (ie it's our interpretation that's faulty), and oftentimes becuz they claim the Bible can be disregarded in some areas becuz it has errors and is unreliable.

We just consider that a sign of the end times we're told will come
    where people find teachers to say what they want to hear so they
    can live any way they choose (not necessarily in compliance w/
    scripture teaching).

2. CruciFixed

CruciFixed New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Some "Christians" say the end times is metaphorical and when WE talk about it we sound like cultists.

3. ReformedChapin

ReformedChapin Chapin = Guatemalan

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    I would agree with that and I'm a hardcore fundie. I think its a blant irresponsibility to be claiming the end "is soon" when we don't know when the end is going to happen. Leave it to God, he protects his children no matter how the end times scenerio occurs. Study eschatology and be familiar with all the perspectives so if something happens you will be ready.

4. CruciFixed

CruciFixed New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Aren't we also supposed to be watchful? Talking about and wondering about it is normal even the 11 disciples did that. In fact I believe we are told to watch.

5. ReformedChapin

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    Cite the verses in context then well talk.

6. Grumman Tomcat

Grumman Tomcat The LORD is my Pilot.

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    I get adblock through Firefox. I don't see any popups.

Anyways, when I saw the title of this thread, my stomach did somersaults. I am still old fashioned enough to be repelled by that sin.
    :sick: Wasn't That particular sin one of the reasons why Sodom was condemned? Under Old Testament law, a man caught lying with a man as he would with a woman was to be put to death. That is pretty severe.

The Messiah, when He came into this world brought concepts, until then had been little understood, forgiveness and redemption. He fulfilled the law and took the punishment for all who would accept Him as Saviour. There was no need for such harsh laws.

Homosexuality is still an abomination to G-d. That doesn't mean that Jesus, the Messiah doesn't love the homosexual. Some of us were pretty vile before we came to Jesus. There are repentant people. Then there are those that want to justify their sin instead of fully accepting G-d's Word. Some don't even want to face the reality of the Word. That is why we get some pretty bizarre 'bibles' such as the 'gay' bible. There is even a LOL Cat Bible in the works. I'm sure there are other strange 'translations' out there to cater to peoples' selfish desires instead of their willingness to seek out the truth.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  7. Nadiine

Nadiine New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    what do you use?

Is that just on the latest version 3.0? I should get the upgrade, I already have Firefox 2.0 but I don't use it.
    I think I should rethink that

8. Izdaari

Izdaari Episcopalutheran (TEC/ELCA)

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    It's just a Firefox extension, free download, and it works with Firefox 2.0 or 3.0. I use Adblock and the Adblock Filterset.G Updater, it works great! :thumbsup:

I also use Spyware Blaster and the Innoculate feature of Spybot to keep adware and spyware off my computer. Very little gets by the two of them. Once a week or so, I scan with Ad-Aware to kill off the occasional tracking cookie that sneaks through.

9. Nadiine

Nadiine New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    & they're free? (spyware blaster & spybot thingy?)

10. LogosRhema

LogosRhema Awake

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Buddhist
  11. Izdaari

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    Yep, all freeware! All my anti-spyware and anti-virus stuff is freeware. There's so much good stuff in that line for free, there's absolutely no need to pay for it. (You can donate of course, if you like the stuff and have money to spare, and they like that. And you can pay for a fancier registered version of some of them.)

The Izzy recommended list:

Adblock with the Filterset.G Updater (Firefox extensions)
    Ad-Aware (spyware scanner)
    AVG (anti-virus and anti-spyware)
    Spybot: Search & Destroy (spyware scanner with preventive features)
    Spyware Blaster (preventive anti-spyware)

All of those are free. BUT be wary of similar products with similar but not identical names, because they may BE spyware. That's a sneaky trick they've learned.

12. Nadiine

Nadiine New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    oh thanks for that info too
    I had the AVG, but the updates on it quit about 6 mos. ago,
    so I need to find another one asap.

13. Izdaari

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    That's because they replaced it with a new version. Get the new one, and the updates will work again. The new AVG has anti-spyware integrated with the anti-virus, very cool, someone should've done that long ago.

14. CruciFixed

CruciFixed New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic

1 Thessalonians 5:2-8 (King James Version)

15. Nadiine

Nadiine New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    oh bummer, I thought they discontinued it.... I'll grab that asap.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks so much

& sorry for the little derail to the OP
    :blush:

16. CruciFixed

CruciFixed New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic

YOU BETTER BE RAAAAWWWWR.

Seriously doesn't bother me
    . Anyone else?

17. Nadiine

Nadiine New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    :bow: :bow:
    yesssssss Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaayam!

*salute*

=)~

18. CruciFixed

CruciFixed New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
  19. ReformedChapin

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    I think this is a better translation..

5:1 Now on the topic of times and seasons, 1 brothers and sisters, 2 you have no need for anything to be written to you. 5:2 For you know quite well that the day of the Lord 3 will come in the same way as a thief in the night. 4 5:3 Now when 5 they are saying, “There is peace and security,” 6 then sudden destruction comes on them, like labor pains 7 on a pregnant woman, and they will surely not escape. 5:4 But you, brothers and sisters, 8 are not in the darkness for the day to overtake you like a thief would. 5:5 For you all are sons of the light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of the darkness. 5:6 So then we must not sleep as the rest, but must stay alert and sober. 5:7 For those who sleep, sleep at night and those who get drunk are drunk at night. 5:8 But since we are of the day, we must stay sober by putting on the breastplate 9 of faith and love and as a helmet our hope for salvation. 10 5:9 For God did not destine us for wrath 11 but for gaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 5:10 He died 12 for us so that whether we are alert or asleep 13 we will come to life together with him. 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, just as you are in fact doing.

Here Paul is giving the Thessalonians hope to persever and reassuring them that the Day of the Lord is immanent. Not to watch and try to predict when the day of the Lord is. You have to remember that this verse was written to them over 2000 years ago, we have in no way of predicting when the Lord will return.

20. CruciFixed

CruciFixed New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Then please help me understand these verses:
    Also though we will not be able to predict the exact time of His coming should we not at least be able discern signs of the times? They are drawing nearer and even as I said before the disciples then could ask and think about it. They must have thought about it like we do now.

Its not cult-like behavior, imo. Its normal to be concerned especially the closer we draw to the end. We do draw near to the end, we cannot think we are somehow further away.
    Matthew 16 1-3

The signs of His coming aren't easy to ignore.