Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

wynd

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2006
North Texas
✟9,832.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is one of the many reasons I was pulled away from "latin" rite, the DL is ancient and traditional. The vernacular mass is lacking the spirituality that I am looking for, the DL is very very special.

I may be picking at semantics here, but by "vernacular" do you mean in the local language or just the "new" post-Vatican II Novus Ordo Mass? If the latter then I wholeheartedly agree, but if the former then I have to disagree as I've seen some reverent Masses in English (they're very rare but they do exist).

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess it beats "Just a Gigolo" by Frank! :p^_^

I don't know about "normal" but the last time I went to the local Roman Catholic Church for a funeral mass they played Frank Sinatra's "I Did It My Way" for the communion hymn.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);64975564 said:
Something that came to my mind immediately is that it doesn't seem accurate to take a video of one type of Mass done in the Catholic world of Brazil at one time.....then show an Orthodox video of another mass that's solem...and say that stands for the difference in how Liturgical services are done, as if one supports dancing and the other doesn't. For there are many other Mass services done in Brazil by the same church in view that aren't the same as the one in the video you noted - many of which are as solem as the Orthodox service.

Moreover, as it concerns dancing, I'd think it'd be more accurate to show Orthodox services that actually do dance if trying to make a real comparision.

Oriental Orthodox Liturgy - Recession - YouTube
Ethiopian Orthodox song Communion Dance - YouTube
Ethiopian Orthodox Church Woreb.mp4 - YouTube
Indian orthodox church procession of St stephens orthodox church 1-9-2010 - YouTube
Indian orthodox church procession of St stephens orthodox church 1-9-2010 - YouTube

The simplicity of the instruments, the dress, the voices and the clapping has such a spiritual effect imho that hits the mark! Nothing is secular about it just "joyful" as the psalm says "praise the Lord with joyful voice and with instruments" (not a literal quote) Music and voice to offer hymns to the Lord is allowed! But reducing this to a secular level with an intend to offer a show it not!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about "normal" but the last time I went to the local Roman Catholic Church for a funeral mass they played Frank Sinatra's "I Did It My Way" for the communion hymn.

oh there is no doubt it's getting worse. I remember there was a creepy puppet ministry thing that some churches were doing (even those that you would not think would do something like that)

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I may be picking at semantics here, but by "vernacular" do you mean in the local language or just the "new" post-Vatican II Novus Ordo Mass? If the latter then I wholeheartedly agree, but if the former then I have to disagree as I've seen some reverent Masses in English (they're very rare but they do exist).

Abbot: I will perform the opening prayer in the New Latin. Oh ordlay, ivethgay usway ouryay essingsblay. Amen-ay!

Crowd: AMEN-AY!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fozzy, Grover, Kermit, and Miss Piggy were altar servers and Professor Honeydew played the priest. The two grumpy old men in the balcony Muppets were the Eucharistic extraordinary ministers while Animal was the music director! :p

oh there is no doubt it's getting worse. I remember there was a creepy puppet ministry thing that some churches were doing (even those that you would not think would do something like that)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Abbot: I will perform the opening prayer in the New Latin. Oh ordlay, ivethgay usway ouryay essingsblay. Amen-ay!

Crowd: AMEN-AY!

nice Mel Brooks reference!

Fozzy, Grover, Kermit, and Miss Piggy were altar servers and Professor Honeydew played the priest. The two grumpy old men in the balcony Muppets were the Eucharistic extraordinary ministers while Animal was the music director!

google it, muppets would have been muuuuuuuuuch better choice. the puppets they used were like giant, creepy looking marionettes (spelling?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought Pope Benedict, the last pope, was supposed to have cleaned up that liturgy? :p

nice Mel Brooks reference!

google it, muppets would have been muuuuuuuuuch better choice. the puppets they used were like giant, creepy looking marionettes (spelling?)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The simplicity of the instruments, the dress, the voices and the clapping has such a spiritual effect imho that hits the mark! Nothing is secular about it just "joyful" as the psalm says "praise the Lord with joyful voice and with instruments" (not a literal quote) Music and voice to offer hymns to the Lord is allowed! But reducing this to a secular level with an intend to offer a show it not!
More than agree with you when it comes to the ways that simplicity helps for showing great principles - it does hit the mark.:)

I would say, of course, that the use of drums and the dress aren't necessarily disconnected from the secular since it has been done in other cultures already - just as it is with the use of incense in temples (even though the Orthodox utilize it). But all things are spiritual and rather than saying something is either "secular" or not, it seems more appropriate to say "Does this glorify/aid in magnifying Christ or not?" - whether we eat or drink, it's to be done to the glory of God (I Corinthians 10:30-32) - and "whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord." (Colossians 3:17).

If things were done for the sake of a show by itself, that's a problem ....and if it was done for the sake of entertainment, that's more of a problem.

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I am a bit disappointed by this video, because it attempts to associate unorthodox Catholic practices with Catholicism.

Catholics exist in many different expressions. Unfortunately in recent decades, there have been heretical priests that have done things contrary to the teachings and traditions of the Latin Catholic Church. But this is nothing new within Christianity.

For Latin Rite Catholic, we have a set Missal that instructs priests on how to offer Mass. Some priests choose to disregard Church teaching and create their own 'liturgies'. What offends me is that their heretical practices are suggested by anyone to be Catholic, because they are not.

These are extreme examples, but they unfortunately used by some groups to attack the Church. As I tell the people who hate us as much as they do you, criticize us for what we truly believe and do.

The Roman Missal instructs priests on how to offer Mass in the Catholic form. If a priest violates that, then it is not Catholic.

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Which priests are told they may not do under any any circumstance. Secular hymns, or any such hyms that lack proper or any theology are absolutely forbidden from being used within the Mass.

A good Catholic priest offers, as the Church demands, a list of hymns to be used at funerals and weddings.

Upvote 0

New Legacy

Dec 7, 2013
✟2,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
never been to a Catholic church, never been to a Mass, but I have to ask...if you have a mass or a liturgy that's worked for centuries.....why change it? :confused:

A true Catholic Mass, be it a Sunday liturgy or for a funeral or marriage will contain all elements of historical Catholicism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wynd

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2006
North Texas
✟9,832.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I think this is the video you're thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh_nqtp3VrU

This was done by the group "Call to Action," a heretical ultra-liberal splinter of the RCC which being a member of will get you excommunicated in at least one RCC diocese. They are decidedly not part of the RCC.

That said, take away the puppets, dancing, and someone who isn't the priest giving the homily, and this could pass for a run-of-the-mill RC Mass.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah that is the one, and I know it is not mainstream, but it's creeping in there. I know there is some ultra liberal offshoot of Lutheranism that practices Sophia Rosaries, to the Goddess side of God or something.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think this is the video you're thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh_nqtp3VrU

This was done by the group "Call to Action," a heretical ultra-liberal splinter of the RCC which being a member of will get you excommunicated in at least one RCC diocese. They are decidedly not part of the RCC.

That said, take away the puppets, dancing, and someone who isn't the priest giving the homily, and this could pass for a run-of-the-mill RC Mass.
Oh my....

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have seen that video before. NUTS!! And yes, it IS creepy!

yeah that is the one, and I know it is not mainstream, but it's creeping in there. I know there is some ultra liberal offshoot of Lutheranism that practices Sophia Rosaries, to the Goddess side of God or something.

Upvote 0