Winfield Township
✟8,859.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do read a lot and many of the books I read are novels. Many of them are loaded with obscenities. And I have no doubt that some of what I have read I would have enjoyed if the author would have cleaned up his language. For example I read a couple of books by Vince Flynn and thought they were too long and he could have shortened his books by 50 pages by simply eliminating the F word. And I recently read one by Douglas Preston which seemed to have several swear words on every page. Why do so many novelists rely on such language? I have heard the argument that they are simply reflecting society. But what society are they talking about? I was in the army and was a blue collar worker often in bad neighborhoods and I never heard such talk.

I know that some novelists are clean (for example Mary Higgins Clark, Dean Koontz and I am reading my first Ted Dekker novel). But there are too few of them and I would like a greater variety in what I read.

Again, why do novelists use such bad language?

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Modern authors feel they need to put sex, violence and rough language in their works to attract the debased thinkers of the modern world.

I usually stick with the classical authors, those from the early 20th century or before. There were many excellent authors in the 19th century for example.

Upvote 0

Al S

May 15, 2009
✟15,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is considered excessive is different to everybody. Since not everybody shares the same views on profanity it would reason they wrote in the manner in which they see fit. Not according to how you or anyone else would have them do it, except perhaps theirs editor(s).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is considered excessive is different to everybody. Since not everybody shares the same views on profanity it would reason they wrote in the manner in which they see fit. Not according to how you or anyone else would have them do it, except perhaps theirs editor(s).

And yet societal standards have unquestionably deteriorated. Why jump on board with that and risk offending people?

Sigh. The same goes for movies. It's hard to believe that "The Godfather" (movie) had so little profanity in it, after seeing other mobster movies. Of course the book did have it.

Upvote 0

Al S

May 15, 2009
✟15,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And yet societal standards have unquestionably deteriorated. Why jump on board with that and risk offending people?

Sigh. The same goes for movies. It's hard to believe that "The Godfather" (movie) had so little profanity in it, after seeing other mobster movies. Of course the book did have it.
What societal standards? Who made those? Is there a standard that everybody supposed to live up to? If so who made them? What is the penalty for not following them?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I do think it's a bit odd to focus on profanity or obscenity in movies and books with violent themes of murder, crime, and bloodshed, as if gunning down your enemies without cursing was somewhat more moral than cursing as you did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What societal standards? Who made those? Is there a standard that everybody supposed to live up to? If so who made them? What is the penalty for not following them?

Uh, society.

No penalty, evidently, except for certain of us avoiding them and/or complaining about them.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do think it's a bit odd to focus on profanity or obscenity in movies and books with violent themes of murder, crime, and bloodshed, as if gunning down your enemies without cursing was somewhat more moral than cursing as you did.

Just making an observation, not saying murder is moral. Sheesh.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
For example, many people were up in arms about the 50 shades books (not for their awful writing) because of the explicit description of the theme of sexual activities between consenting adults. Yet the Hunger Games books, with a far worse theme of graphic violence against children was lauded as a young adult series. Odd priorities

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For example, many people were up in arms about the 50 shades books (not for their awful writing) because of the explicit description of the theme of sexual activities between consenting adults. Yet the Hunger Games books, with a far worse theme of graphic violence against children was lauded as a young adult series. Odd priorities

It depends on how it is represented. The violence in Hunger Games (which made me not want to read them actually) is portrayed as an awful thing, and rebellion against it is the point. 50 shades of grey is (I think) as you put it, "between consenting adults", so therefore OK I guess. It's not the fact that it's there that's the problem, but what you take away from it.

Most of the profanity in books and movies in not at all necessary, but just gratuitous or for shock value, and it offends me. It also bothers me that my children (19 and 22) see nothing wrong with all that filth, since it's so prevalent, but see me and my husband as too old fashioned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok. The only standards I was aware of were laws.

How old are you? When I was growing up there actually were laws against indecency and such in movies and TV. And if not laws then standards.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do read a lot and many of the books I read are novels. Many of them are loaded with obscenities. And I have no doubt that some of what I have read I would have enjoyed if the author would have cleaned up his language. For example I read a couple of books by Vince Flynn and thought they were too long and he could have shortened his books by 50 pages by simply eliminating the F word. And I recently read one by Douglas Preston which seemed to have several swear words on every page. Why do so many novelists rely on such language? I have heard the argument that they are simply reflecting society. But what society are they talking about? I was in the army and was a blue collar worker often in bad neighborhoods and I never heard such talk.

I know that some novelists are clean (for example Mary Higgins Clark, Dean Koontz and I am reading my first Ted Dekker novel). But there are too few of them and I would like a greater variety in what I read.

Again, why do novelists use such bad language?

Good question. I hate it when I am reading a novel than get hit with all that.

Upvote 0