Obama's Biblical Hostility

szechuan

Jun 20, 2011
✟59,926.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm still waiting for someone to post something offensive which Santorum has actually said. All I ever read though is mis-characterizations from the mainstream media.

What's Santorum said that offended you, Szechuan?

Nothing offensive, just idiotic. Such as his Indoctrination of the left with colleges there are plenty of teachers with right wing belief's. His idiotic saying that the APA is just an organization and is no proof of Homosexuals and gay marriage being okay. Santorum was one the first to state the war on religion and coin the term for the contraception debacle. Santorum is right wing Christian Extremist who wants to ban contraception all together. So no nothing literally offensive just idiotic. Santorum should run for pope instead of president. Though if anything Rick Santorum does also offend by spouting his nonsensical speeches and spreading his idiotic teachings with no proof.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, it wouldn't be. :wave:
tulc(is always glad to help answer question) :)

I'm not so sure.

Rev 3:14-22 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

I wouldn't take it as a compliment if someone called me a moderate Christian

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So...even when you reply to a post about something taken out of context you take it out of context. Because what I see? Is someone (President Obama) who understands why people are reacting like they do. It wasn't antipathy it was sympathy. :wave:
tulc(suspects that since the pretext is good enough for Barton it's good enough for NHe as well) :sigh:

Just curious tulc, did you ever watch where he was saying that? I did, and it didn't sound sympathetic to me.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yep. Sounds like he looks down on those who "cling" to their religion, and he thinks they do it out of bitterness.

To be fair, we don't all think they cling to religion out of bitterness. Heck, I myself have a couple different theories why. I would imagine others' are equally varied :D

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
To be fair, we don't all think they cling to religion out of bitterness. Heck, I myself have a couple different theories why. I would imagine others' are equally varied :D
Hi, Wayte. :wave:

Here are some of mine:
- because religion offers a loving and benevolent community
- because religion offers them better rules for life
- because life is tough sometimes and the church reaches out to them

It's hard to compete with drama on television though, so religion also has dramatic reasons for clinging:
- because eternal torment is bothersome
- because they've witnessed miracles
- because God has spoken to them

Bitterness doesn't even show up on my list of reasons for clinging to religion. :)

YMMV

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anovah

Jun 6, 2004
Oregon
✟14,597.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yep. Sounds like he looks down on those who "cling" to their religion, and he thinks they do it out of bitterness.

I think it's sad Obama can't bring up a relevent issue without being seen as looking down on people.

I don't think the right wing shock jocks would have it any other way though.

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2012
✟15,412.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I think it's sad Obama can't bring up a relevent issue without being seen as looking down on people.

David Barton is right wing crackpot faudster whose message intended for people of low intellegence who will believe anything. That's why he has no credibity whatsover with me.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Barton:
"As far as the Founding Fathers were concerned, they'd already had the entire debate over creation and evolution, and you get Thomas Paine, who is the least religious Founding Father, saying you've got to teach Creation science in the classroom. Scientific method demands that."
....at least 70 years before Charles Darwin, and if people are familiar with Thomas Paine and "Age of Reason" I should would like to see that Paine quote.

...the dude has not an issue with deception in the name of his faith and God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2012
✟15,412.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Barton:
"As far as the Founding Fathers were concerned, they'd already had the entire debate over creation and evolution, and you get Thomas Paine, who is the least religious Founding Father, saying you've got to teach Creation science in the classroom. Scientific method demands that."
....at least least 70 years before Charles Darwin, and if people are familiar with Thomas Paine and "Age of Reason" I should would like to see that Pain quote.

...the dude has not an issue with deception in the name of his faith and God.
Liars for Jesus are a hoot...

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi, Wayte. :wave:

Here are some of mine:
- because religion offers a loving and benevolent community
- because religion offers them better rules for life
- because life is tough sometimes and the church reaches out to them

It's hard to compete with drama on television though, so religion also has dramatic reasons for clinging:
- because eternal torment is bothersome
- because they've witnessed miracles
- because God has spoken to them

Bitterness doesn't even show up on my list of reasons for clinging to religion. :)

YMMV
I've always gone with the idea of it as a coping mechanism. So much easier to handle hardship when you believe the being who controls the universe has your back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Mar 5, 2012
✟15,412.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I've always gone with the idea of it as a coping mechanism. So much easier to handle hardship when you believe the being who controls the universe has your back.
To conservatives, religion is just a tool to be used by the state of achieve it's goals.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
David Barton is right wing crackpot faudster whose message intended for people of low intellegence who will believe anything. That's why he has no credibity whatsover with me.
Are you a crackpot fraudster, Fred?

You repeatedly make the same assertion - an assertion made ad nauseum on atheist websites about a dozen errors Barton made in a book two decades or so ago. His newer book, "Original Intent: the Courts, the Constitution and Religion" must be nearly error-free. It's been out for fifteen years but I've not seen any evidence of substantial errors in it.

I've asked you repeatedly for proof of your assertion, Fred. You've delivered nothing. Why is that, Fred?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

If he wanted to bring up a valid point, he could have said it in a much different way. Unless I'm mistaken, he wasn't talking at a debate, but a fund raiser in SF. He was feeding his donors the red meat they were wanting, which was looking down on those of faith.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It is that, certainly, for some people ... and perhaps only that for some. Life can be brutal at times.

Mostly though, religion sets down standards of behaviour. Consider, for example, that one of the loudest criticisms of Christians is "hypocrisy". That criticism itself is ironic in the extreme considering those who bring the charge, yet that criticism is also very telling about how Christianity affects all who are around Christians.

Christianity sets a high standard of behavior. That's just a fact. At one extreme are a few selfless individuals, like Mother Theresa, who come close to meeting that standard. At the other extreme are those who have no desire at all to meet the standard, yet derive some satisfaction from criticizing Christians who are actually attempting, albeit with varying degrees of success, to measure up.

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2012
✟15,412.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
One of David Barton’s standard methods of decieving low intellegent people is to assert things as if they are undeniable facts without ever providing any explanation whatsoever.

He does it when he claims that the Bible has teachings on everything from the Capital Gains tax to the minimum wage, just as he does when asserts that ideas central to our system of government were simply plucked wholesale directly out of the Bible.

Nowhere does Barton ever provide any documentation to support his claims; he simply asserts them as facts.

Upvote 0