Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neither presidential candidate has a favorable view of the current health insurance system, but Donald Trump promises to abolish it, whereas Hillary Clinton says it can be constructively reformed.

Continued below.
http://m.ncregister.com/51335/d#.WA4_rkb3bCQ

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, I want it abolished and so that joins a long list of reasons I plan to vote for Trump ( hopefully Wed.) I do early voting since it is so much easier.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We need to move toward single payer. My husband gets VA healthcare and I have Medicare and a Medical plan. We pay for dental plans.

We are thrilled with these federal plans. It is amazing to have no copay and deductible with the medigap plan. I've never had a moment's trouble.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The reason has nothing to do with Obama. It has to do with coverage for people with preexisting conditions. But policies aren't any good if you're dropped when you need it most.

When my husband's company was sold in 2005, and he was in his late 50 ' s with heart disease and diabetes, he was lucky he could get VA benefits for Agent Orange, because he would have been unemployed and uninsured. Not everyone had that option.

We need to make the ACA more affordable, not have "insurance for the healthy and bankruptcy or death for the sick."

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obamacare on the ropes as election nears
Tell it to the people who for the first time in their lives have access to medical insurance, who for the first time can go see the doctor when they're sick (because doctors elect to not see those not covered, since they know their rates aren't affordable and the patient cannot pay). Tell it to those who now won't get bankrupted or left to die when they get sick.

Oh, I know it became a sudden pain-in-the-rear to employers, having to provide coverage to their working stiffs and then having to allow the excused absence for doctor's appointments. Pardon me while I don't give a darn....

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you had listened to that video, LWU, you would have heard that Clinton was proposing that people could buy into Medicare at an affordable rate. That's what Bernie Sanders wanted, too.

He wasn't proposing the free market approach (which economists say may work in other areas of economic activity but doesn't work in healthcare). He wasn't proposing privatizing Medicare or VA Healthcare--or anything that isn't currently private.

As a matter of fact, if Clinton were discussing Republican solutions, he would have called them the absolutely bonkers, totally insane, stark raving maddest things in the world--that's how much worse than the status quo they are.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ObamaCare fallout: As premiums rise, so does cost to taxpayers
The Obama administration is trying to calm the panic over soaring ObamaCare premiums by pointing to subsidies many will receive to offset the cost -- but analysts and GOP lawmakers counter that those subsidies nevertheless will stick taxpayers with a rising bill.
With enrollment set to begin Nov. 1, the administration announced Monday that premiums are set rise an average of 25 percent across the 39 states served by the federally run online market. Some states, such as Arizona, will see premiums jump by as much as 116 percent.
Department of Health and Human Services officials are stressing that subsidies provided under the law, which are designed to rise alongside premiums, will insulate most customers from sticker shock.
But the rising cost of subsidies, which already totals tens of billions a year, would be passed on to the taxpayer. More

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Most families will get subsidies. I remember reading that if your premiums are more than 10% of your income (and your income is within certain limits based on family size) you will be protected by a subsidy.

This will protect the people who need it most.

We could have had better medical care if lobbyists from the insurance companies and medical fields weren't so active (and unregulated).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Most families will get subsidies. I remember reading that if your premiums are more than 10% of your income (and your income is within certain limits based on family size) you will be protected by a subsidy.

This will protect the people who need it most.

We could have had better medical care if lobbyists from the insurance companies and medical fields weren't so active (and unregulated).

the problem is who is going to pay for those subsidies? someone has to,
because it's a sure bet that the government is not doing this for free.

i did the math, and right now the extra health care beyond SS that i already have costs me less than Obama's plan would with his 10%.

for those who cannot get health care because of pre-existing conditions, or if they don't have a job it's a good thing.
but this plan should be limited--not universal-- in it's scope, so as to ensure that those without means to obtain insurance have it available to them.

and that in a nutshell is why the Obama plan isn't working.
it needs a broad base of policy holders in order to support those who can't pay.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bishops want us to support the common good. A broken system that only insures the healthy is NOT the common good, and most conservatives don't care.
So the bishops are right when you want them to be right. When they talk about abortion, or contraception, or ordination, they're just crusty old men.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
BTW, the number of people whose health insurance premiums are subsidized is 83%, and they won't experience any increase. People on expanded Medicaid don't have any costs.

And yes, it's a shame that because of widespread insurance company and medical lobbying the ACA isn't as affordable as it should be. If you're honest, you can look around the globe and see the answer--the closer we get to socialized medicine, the closer our costs will be to other countries. And, BTW, it's been determined by economists that the "free market approach" doesn't keep healthcare costs down--even if it works in some other consumer categories.

South Korea, July, 2015: My husband went into insulin shock after a long trip, 14 hour time difference, unusual diet, and taking his lantis without testing his blood.

An ambulance came and took him to the hospital ER, where he received an IV, was seen by several doctors, and had a CAT scan. Our retail cost was $525.--slightly less because of the value of the won against the dollar. The cost of living there is not that much different from where we live, maybe 10% less.

Everyone has health care, including my expat son, the professor/entrepreneur. That's one reason why our life expectancy is lower.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you had listened to that video, LWU, you would have heard that Clinton was proposing that people could buy into Medicare at an affordable rate. That's what Bernie Sanders wanted, too.
Did you hear the part where he called Obamacare the craziest thing in the world?

Upvote 0