1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

Nov 2nd Predictions.

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by KIYX, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Corey

Corey Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Deist
    While true, this doesn't address my point about the impact on the job market and wage deflation.

It seems we agree in large part on targetting retirement ages though I disagree about the absurdity in 50 being the early retirement age for pastry chefs in Europe (early being the operative component). It's harder work than you might be thinking (e.g., making buttercream flowers), requiring the chefs to be on their feet for the whole time (like nurses).

2. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Senior Veteran

Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Look, if you extend your logic, the sooner we can get people out of the work force, the less competition for jobs and hence higher wages. Problem is the people that continue to work will have a greater burden to bear by the fact they will have to be paying to support otherwise able bodied people not to work (via SS). This will raise their taxes and reduce their effective pay.

As an aside, the longer a person delays taking SS, the higher the benefit. Increase is about 8% for each year you delay.

3. Corey

Corey Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Deist
    So you agree with the principle involved, we're really just talking about where the optimal cutoff point is.

Not questioning that...just where the cutoff should be.

4. KIYX

KIYX Junior Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Atheist
    FIRST CORRECT PREDICTION OF THE DAY!

5. Staccato

Staccato Tarut keeps on dreaming Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Deist
    Nice to know you took me off your ignore list :thumbsup:

6. BoltNut

BoltNut Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Calvary-Chapel
    If they succeed in doing all the things listed above, no matter how difficult or impossible, would you then vote for them? I kinda doubt it.

They won't touch minimum wage and they will not touch the 14th amendment. They will, however try to repeal Obama-care. Will they be successful? Ask me tomorrow, my crystal ball is still a little fuzzy. Regarding the national sales tax, no, they won't do anything about that yet because it isn't the time to do it yet. They will concentrate on cutting the spending and then they will try to address issues with Social Security and Medicare. I would doubt that a final bill could be put together right away but they will be working on it. Something needs to be done. I'm at that age where anything that they do about Social Security will affect me directly and immediately. I also realize that they need to make some very difficult decisions. I may not like it, but will have to accept it, none the less.

GOP legislators can't do everything that needs to be done, or undo all the things that need undoing in two years. They will continue the work after 2012 if they get the opportunity. The economy will not recover to what it was in 2003 overnight. When people start working again, they may address the tax code. But, honestly, that is more a long term goal. Immigration reform is much more important right now.

7. Harpuia

Harpuia 2003-2012

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Deist
    I was in a heated debate a week ago on another forum with a conservative in my state (who voted early for Angle). He's been predicting this is the start of the end of minimum wage and the Civil War amendments tomorrow, and he's happy about it. It got heated after he wants to keep reminding me that a real businessman wouldn't pay a programmer anymore than $2/hr. because "that's all they're worth".

That alone makes me hope when it's all set and done, Angle is finished with her political career after tonight.