Notre Dame to honor Biden and Boehner a commencement - Pro-lifers freak out

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This is a danged interesting critique of the pro-life movement generally but specifically the seemingly tone deaf Notre Dame facility.

Notre Dame honors two Catholic politicians, there only a backlash against the Democrat.

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2016/04/26/old-abortion-politics-drive-biden-backlash-at-notre-dame/

But because of Biden’s positions on abortion, Notre Dame’s “Faculty for Life” group unanimously passed a resolution condemning Jenkins, even claiming “Notre Dame has chosen to honor power at the expense of truth.” Students wrote a letter to the editor insisting that Notre Dame has “failed to live up to its Catholic mission.”
How did Boehner escape criticism? On everything from torture, to a living wage, to immigration, the former Speaker’s positions are at odds with Catholic teaching. Indeed, welcoming the stranger, a preferential option for the poor, and the dignity of the person are non-negotiable Catholic principles.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Boehner, as the article rightly states, supports grave evils. Biden obviously does too. We can celebrate the good they do while not ignoring their evils, or we can reject them entirely. As most people support some intrinsic evils, I think the former is the better plan.

Reactions: Sumwear
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Notre Dame honors two Catholic politicians, there only a backlash against the Democrat.

yeah, because the Biden is worse
it would be like saying "they are giving an award to John Talbot and Idi Amin, but there is only backlash against Idi Amin"

from the article
"Notre Dame “is not endorsing the policy positions of either,” but instead “celebrating two lives dedicated to keeping our democratic institutions working for the common good.”

what has Biden done for the common good? he has advocated for the right to murder babies and has denigrated marriage by raising homosexual unions to the same legal protections
that would be like saying a mannequin had the same human rights as you
sure it does not really change your rights
but it cheapens the idea of human rights by unjustly awarding them to something that does not naturally posses them.

also from the article
"But is this really the case? Notre Dame gave this same award to President John F. Kennedy. In light of the Bay of Pigs Invasion, did Notre Dame necessarily cause scandal with regard to the Church’s teaching that war must always be defensive? Maybe. It is at least intellectually coherent to argue that it did not."

wait, are they saying that some little failed Coup in Cuba is of equal gravity as the normalization of homosexual relationships and the murder of millions of babies?
wow
WOW some people have no sense of proportion
"well yeah John cheated on his taxes in 2010 AND 2012, and Idi Amin killed 300,000 people, I mean, both men clearly had their faults... can we just leave it at that?"
lol

from the article

" He errs on the side of discouraging abortion and providing the legal space to protect the consciences of those who think differently."

ok, serious question, this is not just my normal rant against the Democrats
ok
what has Biden EVER done that has seriously discouraged abortion?

I am no cheerleader for Boehner
I do not really care about him one way or another, he has his flaws and his strengths

I am tired of this false equalization
pretending that just because the Republican party has serious flaws (and it does) that it is equal to the Democratic party, which has been a huge champion for baby killing, is ridiculous

water boarding is bad
it is bad and evil and I am against it
but the water boarding of a few dozen? hundred? thousand? terrorists and suspected terrorists done of the course of a few years,
while evil
is not equal to the murder of millions of innocent babies over decades

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
yeah, because the Biden is worse
it would be like saying "they are giving an award to John Talbot and Idi Amin, but there is only backlash against Idi Amin"

from the article
"Notre Dame “is not endorsing the policy positions of either,” but instead “celebrating two lives dedicated to keeping our democratic institutions working for the common good.”

what has Biden done for the common good? he has advocated for the right to murder babies and has denigrated marriage by raising homosexual unions to the same legal protections
that would be like saying a mannequin had the same human rights as you
sure it does not really change your rights
but it cheapens the idea of human rights by unjustly awarding them to something that does not naturally posses them.

also from the article
"But is this really the case? Notre Dame gave this same award to President John F. Kennedy. In light of the Bay of Pigs Invasion, did Notre Dame necessarily cause scandal with regard to the Church’s teaching that war must always be defensive? Maybe. It is at least intellectually coherent to argue that it did not."

wait, are they saying that some little failed Coup in Cuba is of equal gravity as the normalization of homosexual relationships and the murder of millions of babies?
wow
WOW some people have no sense of proportion
"well yeah John cheated on his taxes in 2010 AND 2012, and Idi Amin killed 300,000 people, I mean, both men clearly had their faults... can we just leave it at that?"
lol

from the article

" He errs on the side of discouraging abortion and providing the legal space to protect the consciences of those who think differently."

ok, serious question, this is not just my normal rant against the Democrats
ok
what has Biden EVER done that has seriously discouraged abortion?

I am no cheerleader for Boehner
I do not really care about him one way or another, he has his flaws and his strengths

I am tired of this false equalization
pretending that just because the Republican party has serious flaws (and it does) that it is equal to the Democratic party, which has been a huge champion for baby killing, is ridiculous

water boarding is bad
it is bad and evil and I am against it
but the water boarding of a few dozen? hundred? thousand? terrorists and suspected terrorists done of the course of a few years,
while evil
is not equal to the murder of millions of innocent babies over decades

Also from the article (and I think this is the point)

I can see why Rhoades and others would argue that someone with such a view does not deserve the Laetare Medal. The issues at stake involve fundamental justice for the most vulnerable, and so even a mistaken prudential judgement about how best to reflect a fundamental moral principle in public policy might be a deal-breaker.

But if it is a deal-breaker for Biden, it is a deal-breaker for Boehner as well. He is just as mistaken in his prudential judgments about how best to reflect fundamental moral principles into public policy.

Indeed, the fact that most Catholic pro-lifers focused exclusively on Biden continues to send a devastating message about our movement: that we are aligned with the values and goals of the GOP. This fundamentally undermines our ability to reach outside of conservative circles.

This is about public policy, not the number of individual sinful acts.

And "non-negotiables" are non-negotiable.

Or at least should be.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
They honored Mary Landrieu at Loyal University and pro life freaked out, as theyshould. She is crazy pro death. This Catholic University also had the Vagina Monologues there too. Ppl freaked out on that. My own priest had said that if they aren't going to be Catholic then quit using the name. It's because he's pro abortion. Not cuz he's democrat.

Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
They honored Mary Landrieu at Loyal University and pro life freaked out, as theyshould. She is crazy pro death. This Catholic University also had the Vagina Monologues there too. Ppl freaked out on that. My own priest had said that if they aren't going to be Catholic then quit using the name. It's because he's pro abortion. Not cuz he's democrat.

The question is "Why didn't they freak out over Boehner too ?"

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Cuz he is not pro death. All that stuff that liberals think is "pro life" is made up.

Liberals? It was Pope Benedict who declared that human torture is intrinsically evil and absolutely incompatible with the pro-life position. Pope Benedict is a universally respected Catholic theologian and did not "make up" anything.

Upvote 0

Cos-play

Sep 29, 2015
✟2,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Liberals? It was Pope Benedict who declared that human torture is intrinsically evil and absolutely incompatible with the pro-life position. Pope Benedict is a universally respected Catholic theologian and did not "make up" anything.

Historical documents have a liberal bias.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think either Boehner or Biden really live their faiths as the should as public Catholics. Both support intrinsic evils. Both also attend Mass and seem to sincerely believe, despite their imperfections. I also suspect both men really believe they have the best interests of their fellow man at heart. I wish they would fully and humbly submit to the teachings of our Church, but we are imperfect beings. Of course, it is not as if Boehner or Biden could have stopped human torture or abortion if they wanted to, but they still should have advocated for the right side of the issues.

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
It's always, well most always, the wackadoo lay people. Most priests and bishops are aware that giving someone a little honor for the things they have done that the church supports has absolutely nothing to do with those things the church may not support.
But the lay people go nuts. So the media reports it. And suddenly it becomes an issue within the church.
Really it's usually just a bunch of loudmouth nut jobs who want to scream at the world. The lay people are at least partly responsible for the diminishing standing the church has in the eyes of the world. They have taken this idea of correcting people out of Christian love to a new level. They want to be the Rush Limbaugh or glen beck of the church in America. If they really had any authority I would have been gone a long time ago. (Watch much of OBOB invite me to leave the church in 3,2...)

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Still. They are not on parr with abortion. It is the greatest of all the evils. Pro abortion is the demos trademark, not pro life. I know how bad you want the demos to be pro life but as long as they are for death, they can't and won't be. They are not the pro life party and will never be. Sorry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Still. They are not on parr with abortion. It is the greatest of all the evils. Pro abortion is the demos trademark, not pro life. I know how bad you want the demos to be pro life but as long as they are for death, they can't and won't be. They are not the pro life party and will never be. Sorry.

Nobody has claimed that the Democrats are "the pro-life party". I wish we had a pro-life party.

Reactions: RKO
Upvote 0