MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My bet, the Eucharist. Once received in a state of Grace...his pull on the heart in honest struggles is amazing. Even over years and for those who fall away...He calls to their heart.

And why...think for a moment...look at the pronoun I used above. To be grammatically correct it would be "it calls to their heart" but truly the pronoun when you think about it is not "it" but "He"

When the Eucharist opens the heart as a resting place for Christ in our soul...sin can close it...mortal sin can cause devastating damage unto spiritual death, so to speak.

But what is that death to He who is the breath and bread of life? Even sundered...divided and fallen away...He comes to find us. That pull you see in Catholics...when in doubt or when life takes us away from true Life. That pull is the effect of the Eucharist even on hearts in turmoil, hardened or dead. Calling us back to confession. And to the only food that satisfies.

That...or you have met a lot of older Catholics who had nuns. They have a really long term effect. :)

But my bet is really the Eucharist. Once received in devotion and love...He calls to us forever..even when we try not to listen.

And for those who inquire or study and even in doubt and confusion do not leave but have never had the Eucharist...I believe He calls to their hearts...giving strength at a distance. Like a light in a window on a dark night...calling to safety.

:thumbsup:great post. :)

Luke 15
4 What man of you that hath an hundred sheep: and if he shall lose one of them, doth he not leave the ninety-nine in the desert, and go after that which was lost, until he find it?

Matthew 18
12 What think you? If a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them should go astray: doth he not leave the ninety-nine in the mountains, and go to seek that which is gone astray?

:amen:

I think the hold is the sacraments they had been through in their childhood. God calling them home. Many had gone on to other protestant branches & remained Christian but once they saw themselves on the way home they wanted to return to those sacraments the Church offers.

It brings great comfort.

A lot of these people had no desire to return to the Church either & suprised themselves. There are many different reasons & a lot of misunderstandings they may have had looking back.

yup, I was soo surprised when God lead me back to the Sacraments.. haha.. I was happy being a Protestant and didn't feel any need to change, although inside I did sometimes have worries that I might be wrong about the whole "church thing". A type of restlessness sometimes. But I know God used it all too.

I can sort of imagine leaving and then remembering the Mass, Communion, the Rosary, even the little things like statues or missals or whatever.. but really ultimately I believe it's the Holy Spirit, the Eucharist, and Mary, who are responsible for bringing people back to the Church :)

God bless. :hug:

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For me is the art, the phylosophy, the history, the sence of being part of a chain of events lasting 2000 years, something bigger that me. I found Prostestant Chruches more limited on that and more centered toward the self and the here and now on the average.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think one thing I've learned this past few weeks is that I'm really no different from people who do leave the Church or those who struggle, I struggle lots too and go through doubts and I'd certainly have left it all if it wasn't for.... ? I don't know how it happened that I didn't leave by now, to be honest. Definitely nothing on my part. I can relate to those who struggle with their faith though, and people who are searching for truth and don't know where to find it.. I still have no clue why God lead me back to the Sacraments especially cause I was so resistant and there are many people I know who would make better Catholics, yet they're not Catholic.. it's strange, lol... I guess He leads people in His own ways and is pleased even with our tiniest efforts if they're sincere......

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me is the art, the phylosophy, the history, the sence of being part of a chain of events lasting 2000 years, something bigger that me. I found Prostestant Chruches more limited on that and more centered toward the self and the here and now on the average.
It's a combination of things.

For me, I'm not sure.

Sometimes I still look around & wonder what I'm doing there. I only know I couldn't stop thinking about it until I became part of the Catholic Church.

It's a mystery to me.

I do think there is a long divine invisible cord that tethers & pulls some to the Church for whatever reason.

It is such a huge tapestry full of detail that it is really hard to comprehend at times.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I find comforting is being able to be honest in confession with the priest about my questions, doubts & struggles & it's ok.

People look at the Church as this huge formal place of no-no's when really, there are not that many no-no's that do not make sense. At least to me.

I can be who I am. A Catholic girl with a protestant background. I can question & get frustrated but as long as I try to do the best I can, I'm ok. It's ok to be human & the Church accomodates that. Through confession, & all the sacraments.

The church uses all our senses in the flesh as well as spiritual.

Putting the Eucharist on our tongue... confession & the discussions within, the smell of the burning candles, feeling the holy water on us, etc.

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's a combination of things.

For me, I'm not sure.

Sometimes I still look around & wonder what I'm doing there. I only know I couldn't stop thinking about it until I became part of the Catholic Church.

It's a mystery to me.

I do think there is a long divine invisible cord that tethers & pulls some to the Church for whatever reason.

It is such a huge tapestry full of detail that it is really hard to comprehend at times.

What is your denominational background?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Flat out Holy Roller/pentecostal.

Then on to Baptist, Foursquare & various non-denom Churches.

I've been to Methodist, etc. too.

There was a time in my childhood that we were actually JW's.

I considered being Pentecostal before my whole journey to Catholicism began... I also considered being Methodist... and I really was non denom.

Interesting :)

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I considered being Pentecostal before my whole journey to Catholicism began... I also considered being Methodist... and I really was non denom.

Interesting :)

Why did you consider Pentacostalism and Methodism? What part of Canada do you live in and what Churches are common there? What is the majority religious culture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My mother is from the south. :)

You said "flat out"...;)

I grew up in Oklahoma and now live in Texas. We talk funny :p

I think that it is harder to convert to Catholicism in the south. There is a lot of distrust for it in many southern areas. I've noticed that. I'm surprised actually at the success of that large concentration in Alabama.

I live in the Dallas metro area so it is generally accepted here. Different culture.

The Catholic Church in a town close to me in Oklahoma was vandalised by the KKK when I was a kid. Many people forget that the KKK persecuted Catholics as well as blacks, Jews, Muslims, and andyone not protestant and white.

The south is where anti catholic fundamentalism is strongest and distrust runs deepest. I've noticed like you that most tend to gravitate back to their comfort zone before death. It seems that way anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You said "flat out"...;)

I grew up in Oklahoma and now live in Texas. We talk funny :p

I used to live in TX. too. Amarillo. I get a lot of my sayings & inflection from my Mom though. TN.

I think that it is harder to convert to Catholicism in the south. There is a lot of distrust for it in many southern areas. I've noticed that. I'm surprised actually at the success of that large concentration in Alabama.

My grandma thinks there is table worship in the Catholic ranks. :D (bowing to altar).

I live in the Dallas metro area so it is generally accepted here. Different culture.
I've got a friend in the Houston area. It sounds like there is a thriving Catholic community there.

The Catholic Church in a town close to me in Oklahoma was vandalised by the KKK when I was a kid. Many people forget that the KKK persecuted Catholics as well as blacks, Jews, Muslims, and andyone not protestant and white.
You are exactly right. Little is said about the protestant riots in either.

The south is where anti catholic fundamentalism is strongest and distrust runs deepest. I've noticed like you that most tend to gravitate back to their comfort zone before death. It seems that way anyaway.

How about some good old fashioned snake handling? ;) *kidding*

I don't know, people are set in their ways in the south & the culture is definitely not something that leans towards Catholic Christianity. But the south has made great strides in expanding their pov to include others. It's not exactly the old south anymore.

As far as the people where I visit, we got Jewish converts to the RCC, etc. It's really interesting though to watch those that watch you & then find out they want to start receiving communion again. It really leads to interesting conversations & some family drama unfortunately.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Why did you consider Pentacostalism and Methodism? What part of Canada do you live in and what Churches are common there? What is the majority religious culture?

I don't know about Canada in general (I live in the South.. Ontario) but where I live there are mostly Baptist and Non denom type churches. Most of my friends go to these churches too. (and I did). I looked into Methodism just because I know some Methodists who are really good people but I couldn't find a church near me.. and then I looked into Pentecostalism because - now I see that I was searching for a deeper spirituality.. and I thought that maybe I could find it there.

(But God had other plans and lead me to the Eucharist that same month.. lol! :) and that's the only thing that felt certain for me, like it's not from me at all.)

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
As far as the people where I visit, we got Jewish converts to the RCC, etc. It's really interesting though to watch those that watch you & then find out they want to start receiving communion again. It really leads to interesting conversations & some family drama unfortunately.

Drama ^_^ I was raised by a Southern Baptist pastor. When I told him and my grandma I was joining the Catholic Church, there was drama :o Although they were worried before because I wasn't in Church at all.

They were pleased with the recent decision to join the Presbyterians. They don't like infant baptism or the idea that Christ is spiritually present in the sacrament but they were happy anyway.

My wife's family is releaved as well. They're Lutherans.

I still plan to visit the Catholic Church from time to time and if my son decides he wants to be Catholic I'll support him.

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about Canada in general (I live in the South.. Ontario) but where I live there are mostly Baptist and Non denom type churches. Most of my friends go to these churches too. (and I did). I looked into Methodism just because I know some Methodists who are really good people but I couldn't find a church near me.. and then I looked into Pentecostalism because - now I see that I was searching for a deeper spirituality.. and I thought that maybe I could find it there.

(But God had other plans and lead me to the Eucharist that same month.. lol! :) and that's the only thing that felt certain for me, like it's not from me at all.)

Congratulations on finding something to be at peace with. :)

I was in Ottawa (nice city, still the best steak I've ever had, Alberta Angus or something they said) once on business. While there I travelled into a town called Hull or something in Quebec, everything went French on me! ^_^ All the signs and stuff. I found it amusing, even though I speak a little French it was a bit of a shocker.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.