Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My time bring communion to people has been tough but also a blessing.

One thing I have noticed is that some folks grew up Catholic but did not raise their kids Catholic, left for whatever reason.

I've had several folks that I have not been bringing communion to say they want to start taking communion again.

During those times I contact the priest & go from there.

I've even seen non-Catholic residents & workers alike inquire about Catholism. :)

It seems to me that a lot of fallen away Catholics always seem to want to return to their faith before all is said & done.

I've seen so many examples of this & I find it fascinating.

Being previously protestant, I really never seen anything like it before.

Catholicism seem to have a hold, an invisible cord that I have not seen previously.

I just find it interesting that I've seen this the most with the Catholic Faith.

I'm so used to Church shopping in the past & I find it kind of mystical to see that even disgruntled Catholics seem to wander back in their later years.

Last edited:

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟782,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You know,

I always have doubts and have made posts about it, but leaving the Catholic faith (I can't say I'm equally Catholic as some of you because I have some things I have to sort out) is feeling harder, even though the doubts are increasing:confused:

I think a reason behind all of this is that I've studied the Sola Scriptura and the doctrine about the Bible being the final rule of faith. It is this very concept that disables me from embracing Protestant Christianity. Without an infallible authority to guide us in the right direction on key doctrines (it is said that some things in the Bible are left to our own interpretation by the Church but I don't know what those things are), we are left to our own devices, and more and more divisions ensue because each division believes it has the right intepretation of the Bible. The lack of solid grounds for espousing a belief in a certain interpretation (a private interpretation that is) has led me to the concept of the infallibility of the Church.

Reactions: Auntie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I still struggle Lady Bug.

I've discussed them in confession & always felt better.

But even with myself, the short time I've been Catholic (going on my 5th. year) there seems to be a very strong hold the faith has on people. Including myself.

During my down times when I want to chuck it all there is something holding me & I find it very hard to describe.

I see it in others too.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
During my down times when I want to chuck it all there is something holding me & I find it very hard to describe.

My bet, the Eucharist. Once received in a state of Grace...his pull on the heart in honest struggles is amazing. Even over years and for those who fall away...He calls to their heart.

And why...think for a moment...look at the pronoun I used above. To be grammatically correct it would be "it calls to their heart" but truly the pronoun when you think about it is not "it" but "He"

When the Eucharist opens the heart as a resting place for Christ in our soul...sin can close it...mortal sin can cause devastating damage unto spiritual death, so to speak.

But what is that death to He who is the breath and bread of life? Even sundered...divided and fallen away...He comes to find us. That pull you see in Catholics...when in doubt or when life takes us away from true Life. That pull is the effect of the Eucharist even on hearts in turmoil, hardened or dead. Calling us back to confession. And to the only food that satisfies.

That...or you have met a lot of older Catholics who had nuns. They have a really long term effect. :)

But my bet is really the Eucharist. Once received in devotion and love...He calls to us forever..even when we try not to listen.

And for those who inquire or study and even in doubt and confusion do not leave but have never had the Eucharist...I believe He calls to their hearts...giving strength at a distance. Like a light in a window on a dark night...calling to safety.

Upvote 0

ZuZu

Contributor
Dec 16, 2005
✟20,781.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I just said something about this the other night to my former priest....I asked him if he thought there was some sort of mystical tie that binds all Catholics, practicing or not. It's been my experience that the Church seems to have a hold on one that is very hard to break from (at least it would explain my own personal relationship with the Church).....I don't know....it's just hard.....

Upvote 0

namericanboy

Apr 9, 2005
✟2,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you think the "hold" is? I"ve seen people in here tell other people who wanted to change from Catholic to another church, that they are walking away from Jesus and take a chance going to hell...Or that if they miss mass they are sinning..Or are you saying their roots draw them back? I know some who changed have no desire to return...I better stop, I just got warned about comments questioning things here...................Thanks Mitchie..

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What do you think the "hold" is? I"ve seen people in here tell other people who wanted to change from Catholic to another church, that they are walking away from Jesus and take a chance going to hell...Or that if they miss mass they are sinning..Or are you saying their roots draw them back? I know some who changed have no desire to return...I better stop, I just got warned about comments questioning things here...................Thanks Mitchie..
could be a lot of things, fear of damnation, cultural roots, the Holy Spirit.
missing mass is a sin

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Luke 15
4 What man of you that hath an hundred sheep: and if he shall lose one of them, doth he not leave the ninety-nine in the desert, and go after that which was lost, until he find it?

Matthew 18
12 What think you? If a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them should go astray: doth he not leave the ninety-nine in the mountains, and go to seek that which is gone astray?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just said something about this the other night to my former priest....I asked him if he thought there was some sort of mystical tie that binds all Catholics, practicing or not. It's been my experience that the Church seems to have a hold on one that is very hard to break from (at least it would explain my own personal relationship with the Church).....I don't know....it's just hard.....
It is hard. But it seems to comfort those that need it after they get past whatever the problem initially was.

I mostly see those wandering in for the monthly Mass there & watching me closely when I'm giving communion. It leads to questions & then a request to start taking communion again. I find many folks had an initial misunderstanding about their Faith to begin with.

It leads to some interesting conversations & reasons that some had for losing interest to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZuZu
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the hold is the sacraments they had through in their childhood. God calling them home. Many had gone on to other protestant branches & remained Christian but once they saw themselves on the way home they wanted to return to those sacraments the Church offers.

It brings great comfort.

A lot of these people had no desire to return to the Church either & suprised themselves. There are many different reasons & a lot of misunderstandings they may have had looking back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I still struggle Lady Bug.

I've discussed them in confession & always felt better.

But even with myself, the short time I've been Catholic (going on my 5th. year) there seems to be a very strong hold the faith has on people. Including myself.

I see it in others too.

Interesting. We went through RCIA at the same time. I've already left though. I can't get over a few things. But I don't hold anything against the Catholic Church. I'm quite thankful to them for helping to rebuild my faith after College and the Air Force and some tragedies I wasn't theologically / philosophically ready for.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Gospel of Matthew

What does Jesus' story about a lost sheep tell us about God and his kingdom? Shepherds normally counted their sheep at the end of the day to make sure all were accounted for. Since sheep by their very nature are very social, an isolated sheep can quickly become bewildered and even neurotic. The shepherd's grief and anxiety is turned to joy when he finds the lost sheep and restores it to the fold. What was new in Jesus' teaching was the insistence that sinners must be sought out and not merely mourned for. God does not rejoice in the loss of anyone, but desires that all be saved and restored to fellowship with him. That is why the whole community of heaven rejoices when one sinner is found and restored to fellowship with God (Luke 15:7). Seekers of the lost are much needed today. Do you pray and seek after those you know who have lost their way to God?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
could be a lot of things, fear of damnation, cultural roots, the Holy Spirit.
missing mass is a sin
None have ever expressed a fear of hell for missing Mass. A lot of them as I said, went to other branches of Christianity. They simply want to have communion again. Pray the rosary... etc. Things that are unique to the Catholic Church.

What complicates matters is when the family is not Catholic because nobody was raised Catholic.

I just informed a daughter that her mother wants to take communion again.

The daughters response?

Oh great...

I'm friends with the daughter but this is all foreign to her. She does not understand it. So thats when we step in & speak for the patient & try to mediate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Interesting. We went through RCIA at the same time. I've already left though. I can't get over a few things. But I don't hold anything against the Catholic Church. I'm quite thankful to them for helping to rebuild my faith after College and the Air Force and some tragedies I wasn't theologically / philosophically ready for.[/font]

Often times ppl misunderstand some things - so ask the questions.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Interesting. We went through RCIA at the same time. I've already left though. I can't get over a few things. But I don't hold anything against the Catholic Church. I'm quite thankful to them for helping to rebuild my faith after College and the Air Force and some tragedies I wasn't theologically / philosophically ready for.[/font]
Well it's ok to have questions & problems. I've learned that through my priest which always makes me feel 110% better. The key is if you think God led you there & you follow without the comfort of complete understanding. It's an organic thing. A lot of times people come in wanting to know & understand it all before entering the Church. It just does not happen that way. Faith always grows & evolves. And understanding comes in steps.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well it's ok to have questions & problems. I've learned that through my priest which always makes me feel 110% better. The key is if you think God led you there & you follow without the comfort of complete understanding. It's an organic thing. A lot of times people come in wanting to know & understand it all before entering the Church. It just does not happen that way. Faith always grows & evolves. And understanding comes in steps.
:thumbsup:

I am always amazed that i learn more every day - week - month - year.
Sometimes i can look back at posts and see how much i have grown.

God slowly unfolds things for us to digest slowly.

We dont feed a steak to a baby..God doesn't feed us everything at once either. How else will we digest it and embrace it if its all thrown at us at once.

We learn as we 'grow' and the puzzle pieces come together.
[I try to put it in reader's digest formula for my kids] to help them be a few steps ahead of the game. :)

Upvote 0

DD2008

Oct 3, 2008
Texas
✟8,121.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I remember you taught me the word snarky a few months back. :D I've used it a time or two since then.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.