Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ok the title is to grab your attention ..did it work ?
{insert- my overall point and direction is not complete in this OP so dont judge to quickly } -also im open to the thread being moved if this is the wrong place to place it

what i want to say will indeed step on the toes of some .
but unlike the Title implies ..it is not my intent to stomp but rather to raise an issue in dealing with that which has become nothing but a falsehood in tradition .(if we are honest before God in that regard)

Falling over backwards when prayed for .

WHY ?

i know from testimonies by others that so many many of us have been victims of what i call the Pentecostal push .. a good firm shove on the forehead encouraging us to fall over backwards like the rest of the "line " that we may conform to .... ? what ?? falling over ?

i would like to suggest that we STOP IT NOW ..please just cut it out .
------------------------
ok lol hmm how am i going to reconcile that sharp statement with the love of God in which i honestly mean it .

lets look at the practice in HONESTY IN THE NAME OF JESUS.
how many of you (i have to say "you" because i never have )have fallen over backwards knowing there was absolutely no need to do so ?
how many have fallen over backwards because it was "the thing you do "
how many went to the front in order to fall over backwards
how many fell over backwards to BE SEEN to be falling over backwards ?

hard questions - i expect only the very bold and brutally self honest will answer any of those .

the consideration is this - the Lord gave us balance ..if we feel so moved we sway ..one can put ones foot back and balance is immediately stabilized.
IF the annointing of the lord is so strong upon us (and at times he indeed is )then he has given us these Amazing tools upon which we can call ..they are called KNEES -we can fall upon them -if his anointing is still so strong (and he certainly can&will be at times then we can fall upon our face .

to be contd ..this is NOT an" I am right and you are wrong scenario" nither do i intend to discredit some who have indeed been so moved by the holy Spiirt that they fell over backwards ..i have seen that and it was something to behold (theier feet left the ground on thier way backwards )
we should also look into sensuality versus spirituality .
but what has become //THE TRADITION// needs to stop .

it has got so bad that a so called christian in england sued her church because she fell and there was no CATCHER and she hurt herself ... i think the key word there is herSELF - that is an absolute SHAME upon the body of Christ and displays how ridiculous this tradition has become .

.but throw in have your say .

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,475.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I agree with most of what you said. I have never been "slain in the spirit" nor have I ever desired to be. If you ask me, it looks way too rehearsed to even be of God in my own humble opinion. In my church it only happens once in a great while . . . ushers are always standing behind during the altar call playing the "catcher" role I suppose. One time there was a preacher who came to my church who had a BIG push factor when praying for people . . . like, no mercy. Practically everyone being prayed for fell back, and, I mean, I knew it wasn't of the Holy Spirit.

I have fallen only once in church. During the offering time there was a huge, beautiful outpouring of the Holy Spirit and the whole church was rejoicing and dancing in the spirit and speaking in tounges, it was truly an amazing thing. I was dancing in the spirit so hard that I finally just had to go down, God's presence was so strong and just so heavy . . . but as you mentioned, I fell straight to my KNEES and just kept praising God right there on the ground.

It all comes with too many people these days looking for "experience" instead of God, and doing things in the flesh instead of in the spirit.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recall when i was baptized in the holy Spirit i can only describe it how it was ..i shook ? no vibrated from head to toe and my whole body bent ..bowed over forward
and i should add ..no one was any where near me touching me or anything

Upvote 0

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟81,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I do too agree....When a pastor pushes one person than that person hits another and they fall like domino's lol. I have wondered this myself.....When I was anointed it was by God and in a place outside and not church......I didn't fall over.....I just seemed to get the strength and help push me towards the will of God......I'm not like a normal pentecostal....I am open minded but I also know when people are just plain faking it......I understand what your trying to say OP

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i think its time to speak up in our congregations. ..gently
Pastors need to say ..look folks if your feeling a bit of a swoon please take a step forward to get your balance or pop down onto your knees ..there will be no catchers ...
and the tradition will quietly ease away .

now as i said before i do NOT intend to discredit anyone who has truly been swooned over backwards under the anointing ..im not being dogmatic about it and please
share testimony on such cases .no one here is going to speak unrightfully against you -well I certainly will not do so anyway :)

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,304.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have been slain in the spirit several times. There's nothing like it. SO much so, that a couple of times I went up front to be prayed for, and someone "pushed" me, and I did fall, expecting to be slain in the Spirit (after all, most other people were falling). I got up immediately when I realized that my expectation was not met.

I understand how easy it is to talk yourself into falling down, and wondering "what's wrong with me?" when you don't fall down.

I made the decision several years ago, however, that God will decide when/if I ever fall out again.

There's faking, and there's letting your expectations get the better of you. I confess I've done the latter, but never the former. The difference is why you're doing it. Never to show off, never to please a pastor or evangelist. Sometimes you want something so badly that you kind of make it happen. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been slain in the spirit several times. There's nothing like it. SO much so, that a couple of times I went up front to be prayed for, and someone "pushed" me, and I did fall, expecting to be slain in the Spirit (after all, most other people were falling). I got up immediately when I realized that my expectation was not met.

I understand how easy it is to talk yourself into falling down, and wondering "what's wrong with me?" when you don't fall down.

I made the decision several years ago, however, that God will decide when/if I ever fall out again.

There's faking, and there's letting your expectations get the better of you. I confess I've done the latter, but never the former. The difference is why you're doing it. Never to show off, never to please a pastor or evangelist. Sometimes you want something so badly that you kind of make it happen. Does that make sense?

it totally makes sense and thank you so much for sharing :) .

-
I wonder do you think if we told people "hey drop to your knees if you must as there wont be anyone to catch you " -if it would change the fashion ?

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,304.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
it totally makes sense and thank you so much for sharing :) .

-
I wonder do you think if we told people "hey drop to your knees if you must as there wont be anyone to catch you " -if it would change the fashion ?
I've never been "caught." I guess I fall out when no one expects.

The first time I was slain in the Spirit, I was on my knees. Every time I've ever truly fallen out, I had the sensation of falling, but it didn't seem to matter - like knowing you are wearing socks, but what does it matter?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ya know you people are just rather really good sorts who love Our lord Jesus
if i had started this in a number of other forums i suspect i would have dealt with a hornets nest ..
thank you for your thoughts and God bless you
lets just leave the topic now :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1livelystone

Jan 23, 2014
✟15,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was at a conference hosted by a kingdom now manifested sonship theology group including a speaker with whom I had had a bit of a confrontation with not long before the conference. When he was done speaking about the different types of the love of God and fellowship between believers he called me forward and I knew it was to make amends for the troubled waters between us.

I had never been slain in the spirit as in falling over backward but had participated in some pretty dramatic miracles after being instructed to lay hands on individual persons as well as received some visions that have foretold future events that took place. Anyway, when my “brother” placed his hand on my head I went down like a rock. Cannot say that I fell backwards but went straight down.

Ironically, at the time I was dealing with a significant urinary tract infection that was becoming very painful. However, much to my surprise I found out the next time I used the bathroom facilities that my infection was completely gone, albeit, it was a healing I had not asked for nor had I even shared knowledge about it with others.

I think being “slain in the spirit” like many other aspects of the Holy Spirit are witnessed by both genuine and counterfeit reactions albeit some of the counterfeit ones may be also influenced by hope and past experiences.

What I believe happens is the impartation of the an additional impartation of the Holy Spirit "kills the flesh,” of the person receiving the hand laid upon upon them causing them to lose the strength to stand up. In this case the man had previously "annoyed my flesh," but at the conference he "healed" the damage to our relationship that was witnessed by the healing of a personal physical ailment :clap:

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was at a conference hosted by a kingdom now manifested sonship theology group including a speaker with whom I had had a bit of a confrontation with not long before the conference. When he was done speaking about the different types of the love of God and fellowship between believers he called me forward and I knew it was to make amends for the troubled waters between us.

I had never been slain in the spirit as in falling over backward but had participated in some pretty dramatic miracles after being instructed to lay hands on individual persons as well as received some visions that have foretold future events that took place. Anyway, when my “brother” placed his hand on my head I went down like a rock. Cannot say that I fell backwards but went straight down.

Ironically, at the time I was dealing with a significant urinary tract infection that was becoming very painful. However, much to my surprise I found out the next time I used the bathroom facilities that my infection was completely gone, albeit, it was a healing I had not asked for nor had I even shared knowledge about it with others.

I think being “slain in the spirit” like many other aspects of the Holy Spirit are witnessed by both genuine and counterfeit reactions albeit some of the counterfeit ones may be also influenced by hope and past experiences.

What I believe happens is the impartation of the an additional impartation of the Holy Spirit "kills the flesh,” of the person receiving the hand laid upon upon them causing them to lose the strength to stand up. In this case the man had previously "annoyed my flesh," but at the conference he "healed" the damage to our relationship that was witnessed by the healing of a personal physical ailment :clap:
And...... just as importantly....... you were open and accepting to it all. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

1livelystone

Jan 23, 2014
✟15,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And...... just as importantly....... you were open and accepting to it all. :thumbsup:

Overall it was one of those "win win' situations

Prior to it I had some doubts as to the authenticity of people being slain in the spirit. Those doubts were erased and I was shown the difference between him as a lead pastor and myself as the one being given a revelation of scripture that previously had not been revealed within that circle of ministries.

Scripturally I was correct but my defense of it of it left a lot out. I will always be grateful for his olive branch and what I learned from it .

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
another wonderful testimony :)
although the term "slain in the spiriti " was only ever descriptive . a description given by others who saw the person laying on the floor "as if dead -thus slain - .. it has no scriptural basis in itself .it is -only descriptive of the outer appearance-

of course i never intended to speak against these individual situations/testimonies and as you said ..you went straight down -not unusual for the flesh to go limp when its flow is interrupted by the wonderful POWER of the Holy Spirit .
i'm referring to when you have 10 to 50 people lining up in rows and someone walking by and they all fall over backwards . CAREFULLY being caught and lowered to the floor .. its uniform and there is something purely traditional about it and reeking of pretense .

i would just be very interested to know -what would happen if before the alter call we said HEY FOLKS JUST SO YOU KNOW >> THERE WILL BE NO ONE catching people today -

will people still uniformly fall over backwards if they KNOW ..no ones going to catch them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stormdancer0

Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,304.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Michaelmynameis, what I felt was not tradition. It was God. May He never cease touching people.

I've seen some really obvious fakery both on video and in person. I've seen someone swear they were totally deaf and God healed them ON THE SPOT and they could hear. But how would they be able to speak if they'd never heard anyone speak? And with a southern accent at that.

However, just because some people fake something doesn't mean we should throw out the real with the fake.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Michaelmynameis, what I felt was not tradition. It was God. May He never cease touching people.

I've seen some really obvious fakery both on video and in person. I've seen someone swear they were totally deaf and God healed them ON THE SPOT and they could hear. But how would they be able to speak if they'd never heard anyone speak? And with a southern accent at that.

However, just because some people fake something doesn't mean we should throw out the real with the fake.

no i know it was not ..again i thanked you for your testimony and appreciate it .
but im sure, -i hope-, you understand ,that is not the scenario i'm referring to .

and again the question i raise ..i wonder what would happen if we specifically tell people - When you come to be prayed for please be aware there will be NO CATCHERS ...
i have no doubt that the lord will not be hindered in any manner what so ever -
and few will fall over backwards -if any .
I'm keen for a leadership team, pastor and co ..to try it

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,304.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
no i know it was not ..again i thanked you for your testimony and appreciate it .
but im sure, -i hope-, you understand ,that is not the scenario i'm referring to .

and again the question i raise ..i wonder what would happen if we specifically tell people - When you come to be prayed for please be aware there will be NO CATCHERS ...
i have no doubt that the lord will not be hindered in any manner what so ever -
and few will fall over backwards -if any .
I'm keen for a leadership team, pastor and co ..to try it
I agree. If there were no catchers, no one there to "minister to" those who fall, fewer would fake it. I know one thing, after God ministered to me by making me fall, there was nothing that man could do to add to it, that's for SURE.

Upvote 0