Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If A Person doesn't read the bible one has to question if they are even saved? Going to church will never get you into Heaven God's word however will. If a son goes away on a trip and that son Father wrote them a letter explaining everything and they did not read it would not be unreasonable to assume that child does not care very much about their Father.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Going to church will never get you into Heaven God's word however will.

Your post was the last thing I read before I went to bed last night, and I woke up this morning with this verse in my head:

14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
(Romans 10:14-17)

I've heard a person use this scripture as a rebuttal to the very argument you just made, by virtue of the fact that it doesn't say that faith comes by reading the word of God. I don't agree with that person's argument that the scripture cannot impart faith by reading, because the logic is fundamentally flawed. The verse does not imply anything of the sort. However, it does still suggest something pertinent to what you wrote. Going to church could very well be what God uses to get you into Heaven, assuming that church preaches the whole gospel of Christ. This scripture does, in fact, say that much.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Your post was the last thing I read before I went to bed last night, and I woke up this morning with this verse in my head:

14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
(Romans 10:14-17)

I've heard a person use this scripture as a rebuttal to the very argument you just made, by virtue of the fact that it doesn't say that faith comes by reading the word of God. I don't agree with that person's argument that the scripture cannot impart faith by reading, because the logic is fundamentally flawed. The verse does not imply anything of the sort. However, it does still suggest something pertinent to what you wrote. Going to church could very well be what God uses to get you into Heaven, assuming that church preaches the whole gospel of Christ. This scripture does, in fact, say that much.

Oh what I was referring to is people who go to church on sunday after raising hell all week, they do not follow God but go to church as if they are going say I went to church all my life. In fact I have heard those very words people treat other like garbage and then say I have gone to church all my life, or you show them something they believe is untrue but is biblicaly sound and they say that's not true I've gone to church all my life. The phrase I go to church seems to be what people are relying on. It never says and church shall save you, But Jesus is the savior. Also these same people can only quote one or two verse from the Bible ones that fit their need, such as judge not. But they do not know what the Bible says. I was talking to one these people and they go yep just went to church today learned alot. I said oh yeah about what? they said well you know about the bible. I said I know? No I don't, what about the bible? well you know Romans. I said yes I do know Romans what about it? well the preacher was talking about it. They could not even tell me what was preached that day in church, yet they say I go to church as if that alone will get them to Heaven.
So that is what I meant.

As far as the word will get you to Heaven two parts, one the word is literally Jesus, two the word gets planted like seeds, while this is not always enough, on fertile ground it brings forth fruit every time.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I was talking to one these people and they go yep just went to church today learned alot. I said oh yeah about what? they said well you know about the bible. I said I know? No I don't, what about the bible? well you know Romans. I said yes I do know Romans what about it? well the preacher was talking about it. They could not even tell me what was preached that day in church, yet they say I go to church as if that alone will get them to Heaven.

Oh, man, it's a sad statistic, but back in 1996 I read about a study that was done to see how many people could remember the sermon. I think it was something like five percent that could remember anything about the sermon one week later, and less than a quarter of the congregation that could remember it by the time they walked out the front door. My brother's an ordained minister, and I remember him telling me that he had to learn how to keep the messages short and sweet so people wouldn't lose memory of the whole thing. Standard sermon complexity is three points, because with more points people actually retain less of what they heard.

At least reading the Bible requires an active participation, whereas sitting in church invites a person to stare off into space and think about other things. That's pretty sad, when I consider how much work a pastor puts into his sermons.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Three points? We're sinners. Christ died on the cross and rose three days latter to pay for our sins. If your a Christian, receive this as a thankful message your sins are paid for and for those who are not Christians Repent and be baptized?

If the three points are those every week, people will get the points. But when they are "3 arbitrary reasons to have a better you", then absolutely I'll be glazed over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Oh, man, it's a sad statistic, but back in 1996 I read about a study that was done to see how many people could remember the sermon. I think it was something like five percent that could remember anything about the sermon one week later, and less than a quarter of the congregation that could remember it by the time they walked out the front door. My brother's an ordained minister, and I remember him telling me that he had to learn how to keep the messages short and sweet so people wouldn't lose memory of the whole thing. Standard sermon complexity is three points, because with more points people actually retain less of what they heard.

At least reading the Bible requires an active participation, whereas sitting in church invites a person to stare off into space and think about other things. That's pretty sad, when I consider how much work a pastor puts into his sermons.

It is sad when you think people use to stand out in the weather just to listen to God's Word. They would walk for miles be hungry Just to hear about God. People are not hungry for it but the problem is not the people but the church that lets them get away with it. Do you think Paul would have stood for that? I think pastors need to stay in God's word and convict, not guilt, people. When people are convicted they change, and if they refuse they stop coming to church at least then their will be people who want to be there.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think pastors need to stay in God's word and convict, not guilt, people. When people are convicted they change, and if they refuse they stop coming to church at least then their will be people who want to be there.
Wait! Churches don't like to lose people. Haha.

I agree.

Upvote 0