North American churches should each have their own currency!

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I am of the belief that each large church in North America should discuss the printing up of their own church currency unit such as has been done by a group of socially active citizens in Calgary, Canada with their CalgaryDollars.ca

Here is a good article on how important local currencies were during the Great Depression:

Whatcom Watch Online - Story Display

City in Austria Printed Local Currency

Worgl, like many other European towns and cities, was hit hard by the Great Depression. There was mass unemployment; four of the five local factories had closed, and the people were starving in the streets. Nobody had any money to buy anything. One of the features of an economic depression is that there is not enough money in circulation to ensure that people can meet their basic needs, and in the 1930s, the shortage of currency in many countries of the world became catastrophic.

The mayor of Worgl, together with local businessmen, decided to try to break this economic impasse by creating their own local currency. They printed and issued 60,000 Austrian shillings worth of local currency. These shillings could only be spent in Worgl, so they remained in the local community and were exchanged over and over again.

The positive impact was immediate and surprising to everyone. In only six weeks, unemployment disappeared, all the factories had reopened and everyone had food. For the inhabitants of Worgl, the economic depression was gone. This dramatic transformation became known as the “miracle of Worgl.” Surrounding towns, inspired by the success of Worgl, immediately started printing their own local currencies.

Sadly, the miracle did not last long. When the Austrian Central Bank heard about Worgl’s local currency, they initiated legal proceedings against the mayor and local businessmen. According to Austrian banking law, it was illegal for anyone except the Austrian Central Bank to issue money. The bank won the court case, and the mayor was ordered to shut down the local currency, which he did, under threat of imprisonment. The town then returned to the devastating economic depression of the 1930s, with all the human pain and suffering associated with this catastrophe. Factories closed, and once again, the people starved.

Alternative Currency in the U.S.

Irving Fisher, an American professor of economics at Yale University, visited Worgl before the local currency was suppressed and witnessed the ‘miracle’ firsthand. When he returned to the United States, Fisher spread the word by traveling and lecturing across the country, advocating the use of the Worgl ‘scrip’ everywhere. Inspired by his vision, hundreds of communities began issuing their own currency, and by 1934 there were over 1,000 local communities using ‘scrip’ throughout the U.S.

Every one of these communities experienced a tremendous rejuvenation of their local economies. They thrived while others suffered. Fisher then met with President Franklin D. Roosevelt, proposing the implementation of government-sanctioned local ‘scrip’ in every community in America. When FDR consulted with his top financial advisors and bankers, however, he was advised to shut all the ‘scrip’ systems down, which he did. Instead, he borrowed large amounts of money from bankers, at interest, and used it to pay for the Reconstruction Finance Corporation and the other work-creation projects, which collectively came to be known as the ‘New Deal.’ So ended the last widespread use of a local currency within the U.S.

Surely everybody who reads this article would agree that we have many advantages over the people who lived in Worgl, Austria during the Great Depression?!

If they can do it....why can't we?

Here in Canada the only problem that we have to watch out for is that we must pay the same rate of taxation if we earn Calgary Dollars as if we had earned Canadian dollars....so we have to keep our level of bartering at the point where our tax bill doesn't get to high.....but if we volunteered our time and our church earned a local currency from another church....it could be amazing where this could lead!

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One of the most obvious ways to use a church currency would be to give an offer to homeless people in your area....to become actors who play the role of homeless people being assisted by your church to address their specific situation!

People with a drug or alcohol problem...could be come actors playing the role of themselves....and they could be paid in church dollars for the time that they put into your film project?!

http://www.christianforums.com/t7681433/

Concepts for reality, semi-reality and documentary films that address social issues!
I am firmly convinced that it is possible for Christians to use films to address specific problems in our modern world in such a way that many lives are changed and Christianity itself comes to be viewed in a much more positive way!

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
For right or wrong, the U.S. doesn't want to allow that. Check out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/u...his-fate-behind-bars.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

We had a group in the U.S. stamping coins of HARD CURRENCY, the Liberty Dollar. The FBI raided them for "counterfeiting", confiscated millions in hard cash, and the leader is being tried on criminal charges. Bear in mind, unlike the United States government he used real gold and silver in his coins. And the whole crime behind counterfeiting is that you are paying for real goods with something that is worthless. Not so here--it's the exact opposite. He had real gold and silver. You would think that if you have silver in your possession that you can do whatever you want with it.

Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0
E

Eric Hibbert

I am of the belief that each large church in North America should discuss the printing up of their own church currency unit such as has been done by a group of socially active citizens in Calgary, Canada with their CalgaryDollars.ca

Here is a good article on how important local currencies were during the Great Depression:

Whatcom Watch Online - Story Display

Surely everybody who reads this article would agree that we have many advantages over the people who lived in Worgl, Austria during the Great Depression?!

If they can do it....why can't we?

Here in Canada the only problem that we have to watch out for is that we must pay the same rate of taxation if we earn Calgary Dollars as if we had earned Canadian dollars....so we have to keep our level of bartering at the point where our tax bill doesn't get to high.....but if we volunteered our time and our church earned a local currency from another church....it could be amazing where this could lead!

I'm all for it. We already participate in AOCS and other alternative currency programs. As long as it's backed by something and as long as it's clearly distinguished from US legal tender, I think private currencies are a far better idea than a Federal Reserve I.O.U.

usexpat97 said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/us...anted=all&_r=0

We had a group in the U.S. stamping coins of HARD CURRENCY, the Liberty Dollar. The FBI raided them for "counterfeiting", confiscated millions in hard cash, and the leader is being tried on criminal charges. Bear in mind, unlike the United States government he used real gold and silver in his coins. And the whole crime behind counterfeiting is that you are paying for real goods with something that is worthless. Not so here--it's the exact opposite. He had real gold and silver. You would think that if you have silver in your possession that you can do whatever you want with it.

That's a little different. He was trying to pass Liberty Dollars off as US legal tender, which they were not. The fact that groups like AOCS and others are very clear to differentiate their "rounds" from legal tender is the difference and why the Liberty Dollar guy is in prison and why we're not.

Because he tried to pass it off as US legal tender, that's counterfeiting. However, with AOCS and similar groups, it's very clear that the rounds are not US legal tender, but are merely bartering items, so it's no more counterfeiting than any other bartered item.

I know Andrew Napolitano and Jack Spirko both have discussed this at length. Spiko has even had Rob Gray on his show several times to talk about this.

Rob Gray has even testified before Congress about the use of alternative currencies. I can't post a link here for some reason, but if you go to Youtube and type in "Rob Gray Takes on Congress", it will come up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/u...his-fate-behind-bars.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Wow!!!!!!!

I had read about Liberty Dollars years ago....but did not know that they had done this to him!!!!

One of the options that some groups use is to simply use a debit and ledger system. Northumberland Notes, here in Nova Scotia, do it this way rather than actually printing or coining a currency?!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm all for it. We already participate in AOCS and other alternative currency programs. As long as it's backed by something and as long as it's clearly distinguished from US legal tender, I think private currencies are a far better idea than a Federal Reserve I.O.U.

That's a little different. He was trying to pass Liberty Dollars off as US legal tender, which they were not. The fact that groups like AOCS and others are very clear to differentiate their "rounds" from legal tender is the difference and why the Liberty Dollar guy is in prison and why we're not.

Because he tried to pass it off as US legal tender, that's counterfeiting. However, with AOCS and similar groups, it's very clear that the rounds are not US legal tender, but are merely bartering items, so it's no more counterfeiting than any other bartered item.

I know Andrew Napolitano and Jack Spirko both have discussed this at length. Spiko has even had Rob Gray on his show several times to talk about this.

Rob Gray has even testified before Congress about the use of alternative currencies. I can't post a link here for some reason, but if you go to Youtube and type in "Rob Gray Takes on Congress", it will come up.

Wow!!!!!

What a phenomenal answer to this topic Eric Hibbert!!!!!!

I have came to the conclusion that a human life/soul is of infinitely more value than gold or silver or oil or any precious metal. Christian film companies and cooperatives would have the goal of improving and saving lives and souls....and thus their films would tend to become more and more valuable over time as the mind of Christ becomes more and more commonplace!

Upvote 0

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟8,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually people in our government were of the notion that if we printed our own money instead of the "Fed" we would be much better off............they were killed.....Lincoln was the first to speculate this idea, Kennedy followed

messing with the international banking cartel is a quick way to get killed

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Actually people in our government were of the notion that if we printed our own money instead of the "Fed" we would be much better off............they were killed.....Lincoln was the first to speculate this idea, Kennedy followed

messing with the international banking cartel is a quick way to get killed

Thank you for this comment true2theword!

An article on how President Lincoln had saved American taxpayers 4 BILLION DOLLARS in interest payments was the first article I ever read on this subject. That was back in 1994.

Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy

Of course, the Bankers were not going to give in that easy, for they were determined to put an end to Lincoln's interest-free, debt-free Greenbacks. He was assassinated by an agent of the Bankers shortly after the War ended.

Thereafter, Congress revoked the Green­back Law and enacted, in its place, the National Banking Act. The national banks were to be privately owned and the national bank notes they issued were to be interest bearing. The Act also provided that the Greenbacks should be retired from circulation as soon as they came back to the Treasury in payment of taxes.

In 1972, the United States Treasury Department was asked to compute the amount of interest that would have been paid if that 400 million dollars would have been borrowed at interest instead of being issued by Abraham Lincoln. They did some computations, and a few weeks later, the United States Treasury Department said the United States Government saved 4 billion dollars in interest because Lincoln had created his own money. So you can about imagine how much the Government has paid and how much we owe solely on the basis of interest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ooo Disney dollars.

Excellent example mpok1519!

If Disney will back up Disney Dollars with videos, online participation on various sites, admission to Disney Land etc....then Disney Dollars could be stronger and more stable than the national currencies of 70% of the world's nations on the fourth week of trading!?!?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Oh....my daughter had a minor role in a Disney Movie along with Michelle Trachtenberg. It was called "The Circuit" and was shot near Antigonish, Nova Scotia. She is one of the young people who go up on the stage to accept a check for one million dollars donation to a non-profit organization....in the film!

She actually only earned under $40 for four hours work but....she has often spoken about this and it certainly increased her confidence. If Disney offered Disney Dollars as partial payment, above minimum wage to actors.....and if they shot another film in my area.....I am sure my daughter would audition again in a heartbeat!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BlandOatmeal

Jan 13, 2006
Oregon, ИSA
✟2,769.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There IS one currency that the government cannot effectively forbid, namely, charity (in its original meaning, not 501c3 corporations). I suppose this is the way believers will survive during the time of the False Prophet, when one "cannot buy or sell, without having the mark of the beast".

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have Disney dollars!!!! :clap:

And if a whole bunch of Islamic companies get together again and try to pull off economic terrorism and bankrupt another Jewish bank such as may have happened in 2008....your Disney Dollars could be stronger than the USA dollar....for a period of weeks or months or.....

theblaze.com/
stories/economic-terrorism-was-the-2008-collapse-intentional/

Economic Terrorism: Was the 2008 Collapse Intentional?

• Posted on January 19, 2012 at 6:48am by
    279425.thumbnail.jpg
    Becket Adams
Freeman went on to say that the odds of hedge funds like Bear Sterns “suddenly” collapsing the way that they did in 2008 were so low that it raises suspicions.
“Bear Stearns had some financial problems, but that panic caused the stock price to collapse,” he said.
Freeman also said that if America was under an attack of “economic terrorism,” it would have to happen in three phases (via glennbeck.com):
First, there is an attack on energy prices.
“That weakened our economy so substantially because people had a choice between paying their mortgages or paying their gas bill,” Freeman said.
“Phase 2 was the bear raids [it's like a bank run, but for stocks]. That panicked everybody out of the stock market,” he added.
The third phase, Freeman said, was an attack on currency and credit rating — much like what is happening in Greece.
Because the discussion was so important and the implications of “economic terrorism” so great, Beck invited Freeman back on the show to continue their dialogue.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There IS one currency that the government cannot effectively forbid, namely, charity (in its original meaning, not 501c3 corporations). I suppose this is the way believers will survive during the time of the False Prophet, when one "cannot buy or sell, without having the mark of the beast".

BlandOatmeal....you are a genius....I was hoping that film companies and cooperatives could be set up....who will hire people who have refused to get chipped....to become actors playing the role of people who have refused to get chipped....and their work for the film companies might just put groceries on the table!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

Jade Margery

Stranger in a strange land
Oct 29, 2008
✟19,915.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm, it seems like a pretty decent idea for when the national economy is tanking badly. However, I don't think it should be an all-the-time thing, just an emergency measure. Too many micro currencies makes it difficult to keep track of inflation and transfer rates. Better to jump back to the national currency when things start going better.

• Agree
Upvote 0