Non-virginity: Can my girlfriend's past affect our future?

CloakForSword

Jun 22, 2014
✟15,143.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I understand you guys are extremely busy and tasked with tons of things and I apologize for this huge wall of text. I have a shorter, bolded version at the bottom for those who don't want to read this huge wall.

This topic has been discussed before and I don't the feeling like I'm beating a dead horse here and I'm sure neither do any of you. But this has been bothering me deeply. I've prayed about it(I confess it wasn't as much as I should have) and I still get incredibly bothered by it from time to time. It is eating me away and it makes me tremendously bitter. You guys have no idea.

The issue is: My girlfriend's lack of virginity.

I don't know if I made a careless decision and if I was lacking and consideration but it seems that way to me now. I question if I should've jumped into the relationship or not. I'll be honest. I really, really like the girl(I'll call her Carly) but that one single flaw seems to outweighs all the positives.

About us: I am friends with Carly for over four years now. I knew her since she was 14 years old(she's 18 now) I'm 22. To make a long story short we were interested in each other but we never made any attempts to go beyond friendship. I ended up moving to the U.S and we kept in contact. Eventually I came back and it seemed our friendship was stronger than before despite the years apart.

I began liking her until I discovered she lost her virginity to her ex boyfriend. I was told by her and a number of other sources that they had a VERY bad relationship. He was verbally abusive, mean-spirited, controlling, etc. She had sex only one time and it lasted a few minutes. She hated herself for it and even considered suicide and went into depression. This all happened before I returned. They dated for only five month and they were never intimate to begin with.

So I come back, find this out and decide to date another girl in church who was interested in me, openly rejecting Carly. This new girl is a virgin, and that might've been the main reason I dated her and not Carly. Carly went into depression for some time, lost confidence in herself, cried a lot. The fact that she was in the same church made it worst. My relationship with the new girl was very bad. There was no intimacy on her part and just a cold callous attitude. But that's besides the point.

Where am I going with this? Well, I decided to date Carly because we're great friends. We hit it off very good and she confessed that she wasn't angry at me for choosing the other girl. I felt bad knowing I did so only because Carly had sex once before.

My problem:
Because I've been refusing sex all these years I would expect my significant other to do the same, no? I mean from my perspective or at least how I feel about this is that I've played an almost good Christian all these years so shouldn't I be rewarded with a woman who is pure, untainted and untarnished . . . with residue of her sexual history that will forever be ingrained in her memory even if I marry her one day? Most would say I'm being immature, insecure or just being selfish by putting so much value on a girl's virginity instead of the girl herself.

The root of the problem might be the fact that I haven't experienced anything of the sort, and that I feel cheated . . . like I'm giving more than I'm actually receiving. That when two couples who saved themselves for marriage and up into the point where they consummate that marriage, it is something unforgettable and special and something I won't get as if the love she is giving me/will give me won't be 100%. That something deep and essential is emotion.

Soul ties exist. Part of her is with the other guy and what of me? I didn't share anything so intimate. It isn't balanced despite what I've done. Yes, I know full well what the Bible says about love; it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. I try to meditate on that all the time when these thoughts come but I dwell too much on the negative that it makes everything else void.

The past is past, what she was doesn't mean who she is and we as people can be made anew by God's mercy. I've heard it countless times, and I've read it countless times(I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for many, many hours now online). I also am aware that I shouldn't judge lest be judged with the same measure.

Carly was duped into sleeping with her ex in an already abusive relationship. Nothing I heard from her ex boyfriend was positive so I'm not entirely worried she will be fond of her former relationship but it still irritates me to know another guy has "been there, done that" before I did.

We, as people, are free to make decisions both wise and unwise and I shouldn't unjustly fault her for her past but my emotion are strong on this matter. Maybe it is my male competitive side or testosterone kicking in. Maybe I'm a victim of retroactive jealousy . . . either way I'm being devoured alive by the thought of it and I go as far as imagining things relating to her and her ex. Unhealthy, I know and as much as I try to put it past me I'm unable to. It comes back stronger.

The positives about her are plenty; she loves Christ, she's loving, caring, faithful, sincere, and understanding and a very hard worker. I can go on about how our friendship was built in four years plus. That she actually went to the mountains to pray about our relationship even before I was returning to Brazil. She fasted about it, waited patiently on it, and expected many things. She was heart-broken when I rejected her and she still decided to get into a relationship with me. She messages me every morning and every night since then wishing me a good morning and a good night and that she loves me and that she wants to be there for me and to make me happy in anyway she can.

We have amazing relationship together. We felt like we've been dating for many years Because she's was and is so dedicated to this and she's waited a long time, even contacting me a year before I came back. I know what she feels is legit and true. So trust me when I say I sometimes think its unfair and unjust to judge her by her past that she's not proud of and was so eager to place behind her in light of what she's been through.

I might be immature, inconsiderate, suffering from male chauvinistic tendencies . . I still like her a lot but not enough to let her past go entirely. I'm making progress. I hope. Maybe God is putting me to the test with forgiveness( an area I am very weak in). Who knows? She might be the girl. Who knows? She might offer me happiness that no virgin girl could ever do. I still am powerless in shaking off the bad thoughts.

I've spoken to her about, apologized and she almost cried and said "I would never be angry at you for that."
As I've said. We have a great relationship. We think the same things, say the same things, and at times do the same things. We're connected in a way and she feels it, too. We have a great bond and when I'm with her I forget about the issue yet when I'm alone the secure walls of my mind and heart begin to crack.
So, I have some questions about it all:

TL;DR:
1. How can I put these thoughts behind me? I prayed and prayed and had relatives pray for me yet it eats me away. I want it to stop but I wake up thinking about it.

2. For women who lost their virginity pre-marriage . . . do you think about the man that took it? If you're married, does your mind dwell on that one moment even if you created new and better ones with your spouse? Do these memories linger if you had sex once which was a horrific experience that lasted a few minutes?

3. Soul ties are created when a couple have sex. Though it can be broken can it have lasting effects that will hinder my relationship with my girlfriend? Or our marriage in the future(If God wills it)? Can soul ties b created through sex if it happened once and the girl hated her boyfriend and was eager to end the relationship?

4. Two become one in flesh, does part of her still remain with her ex and vice-versa? Can this be overpowered if she becomes one in flesh with someone she loves?

5. How can I create a healthy soul tie to my girlfriend without falling into temptation and having sexual intercourse? It is possible?

6. Can our honeymoon be special and meaningful to a near or same degree as if we both were virgins despite one of losing it before?

Thanks everyone. God bless.

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My problem:

[Staff Edit]

Soul ties exist. Part of her is with the other guy and what of me? I didn't share anything so intimate. It isn't balanced despite what I've done. Yes, I know full well what the Bible says about love; it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. I try to meditate on that all the time when these thoughts come but I dwell too much on the negative that it makes everything else void.

Soul ties don't exist.

The past is past, what she was doesn't mean who she is and we as people can be made anew by God's mercy. I've heard it countless times, and I've read it countless times(I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for many, many hours now online). I also am aware that I shouldn't judge lest be judged with the same measure.

What she was is very much a part of who she is. Her experience has helped shape her, so has yours. The past is gone, but has also been learned from.

I might be immature, inconsiderate, suffering from male chauvinistic tendencies . . I still like her a lot but not enough to let her past go entirely.

Then leave her alone. How can you be her source as Christ is if you cannot forgive as Christ does?

2. For women who lost their virginity pre-marriage . . . do you think about the man that took it? If you're married, does your mind dwell on that one moment even if you created new and better ones with your spouse? Do these memories linger if you had sex once which was a horrific experience that lasted a few minutes?

I've been married sixteen years. I don't even think about the sex I had with my husband a couple of years ago.

Sex is more than just an isolated physical incident. It is a sex life as a whole that is important to the two becoming one, not inserting tab a into slot b.

Virginity is far more important before you lose it. You get no guarantees of a successful marriage regardless of your sexual history. None. You do the work of learning to love each other and forgive each other for a lifetime.

3. Soul ties are created when a couple have sex. Though it can be broken can it have lasting effects that will hinder my relationship with my girlfriend? Or our marriage in the future(If God wills it)? Can soul ties b created through sex if it happened once and the girl hated her boyfriend and was eager to end the relationship?

Her soul is tied more to you than it is to him, isn't it. And there is grave responsibility in that.

4. Two become one in flesh, does part of her still remain with her ex and vice-versa?
No. It doesn't work that way. Sex isn't magic.

5. How can I create a healthy soul tie to my girlfriend without falling into temptation and having sexual intercourse? It is possible?
Start loving her for who she actually is instead of who you imagine she should be. If you can't, then leave now, and let her find someone who can.

6. Can our honeymoon be special and meaningful to a near or same degree as if we both were virgins despite one of losing it before?

Thanks everyone. God bless.
If you go into it with love and humility, yes. If you go in looking for blood, no.

May the Lord bring you peace one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Totally agree with seeing eyes and Primi.

Remember we are Christians, we are supposed to be loving and forgiving.

And the Bible clearly teaches that your sins will not be forgiven until you forgive the sins of others.

Matt 6:15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand you guys are extremely busy and tasked with tons of things and I apologize for this huge wall of text. I have a shorter, bolded version at the bottom for those who don't want to read this huge wall.

You're obsessed over this and it isn't healthy. If you really love her, you will overlook her sexual past, plain and simple. God has forgiven your past, therefore you should forgive hers. If you have such a great relationship and you feel its Gods will then what exactly is the problem?

" or at least how I feel about this is that I've played an almost good Christian all these years so shouldn't I be rewarded with a woman who is pure, untainted and untarnished"

You are talking about Gods daughter, and she is covered by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. She is pure, untainted and untarnished. She is blameless in His sight but you say she is defiled. Something is wrong with this picture, don't you think?

We don't deserve anything; if she is the woman God is giving you then you should be on your face praising His name. You are being selfish and ungrateful, and the root of this statement you've made is pride. An almost good Christian isn't good at all; the only reason that we aren't going to hell is because of the Lord Jesus Christ and no other reason. Our righteousness is like filthy rags before a holy God.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The woman God gave me slept around a lot as a teen. So far we've made it through only 44+ years. I sure hope it lasts. Frankly you make yourself sound very childish and immature.

Only 44 years? Meh, people who offer advice based on no experience at all... :p

Seriously OP, what you're saying is that your girlfriend sinned in one particular way, possibly before she was even a Christian. God has forgiven her so who are you to hold it against her? It's easy to see why you might prefer to be with a virgin but your post sounds like you're saying "she got to go out and sin, and it's not fair because I didn't get to go out and sin". I'll hazard a guess you did sin in your own ways, just maybe not in the same ways that she sinned. And your sins are forgiven too, just like hers are.

My wife and I had our own "indiscretions" before we met each other. Sadly I can't trump revrobor's experience because we've only been married 20-odd years.

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Cloakforsword,

It's great you've maintained your virginity this far in your life. That said, I agree with other posters that your wife standards may be a bit too high.

If Carly has repented of her fornication, and God has forgiven her, it seems right for you to as well. In particular it seems like her sexual encounter was just a one off. So it may be a bit too much to write her off just for one single mistake.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Cloakforsword,

It's great you've maintained your virginity this far in your life. That said, I agree with other posters that your wife standards may be a bit too high.

I do not believe that the OP's standards for a wife are too high. He may have any standards he likes. If he would like a virgin, that's fine. If he would like a virgin who is six-foot-four with one green eye and one brown eye who plays concert bassoon, that is fine, too.

The problem is that he has dragged this woman into his judgement machine and will not let her out, either by recalibrating himself or letting her go.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Personally--I think you need to walk away from this relationship right now, no need to drag this out any further. This girl needs to have someone who loves her as God does, as she is now, sins forgiven and forgotten--she deserves someone who loves her--period--you don't or this wouldn't even come up. You must have no sins that need to be forgiven and overlooked--in which case, stand very still and wait to be translated.

Upvote 0