Non-Catholic Eucharistic Adoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I've been wondering about, after reading recent threads about the Eucharist: The Episcopal Church I attend has a chapel open for Eucharistic Adoration most days, while the Catholic Church I attend with my wife and son does not. Would it be proper for them to attend Adoration with me? If not proper, would it be against canon law or the catechism?

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Would it be proper for them to attend Adoration with me? If not proper, would it be against canon law or the catechism?

To attend at the Episcopalian church, no. Catholics (generally) do not believe that the Episcopalian communion is valid, and thus is not the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ. To worship what we believe to be a piece of bread would be idolatry.

Upvote 0

BrRichSFO

Aug 29, 2006
✟16,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Something I've been wondering about, after reading recent threads about the Eucharist: The Episcopal Church I attend has a chapel open for Eucharistic Adoration most days, while the Catholic Church I attend with my wife and son does not. Would it be proper for them to attend Adoration with me? If not proper, would it be against canon law or the catechism?
It would be absolute idolatry to offer adoration to a piece of bread.

Upvote 0

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

The trouble with adoration in the Episcopal Church is that Episcopal ministers, having no valid succession or holy orders, cannot confect the eucharist. As the others have said, since it remains mere bread and mere wine really, substantially, and actually, it would be gravely sinful for us to adore it.

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From my perspective - if this were my decision:
Theoretically there is a possibility that the priest may be validly ordained, thus able to make a valid consecration. However, without knowing, is it worth it? If I wasnt sure that I was worshipping God... I would not make an attempt at worship. I hope that makes sense.
I understand there are good motivations behind this desire, really good motivations (you want the whole family to be closer to Christ) but in these circumstances, I would not do this. Unless you can be sure it is a valid Eucharist. And I don't know how to do that.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your replies, everyone. I understand the Catholic position on this a little better now. So I won't ask my wife to go, I wouldn't want to put her in an awkward position. It's unfortunate that her church doesn't offer Adoration very often, since of course we both agree that the Catholic Church has a valid Eucharist. Is it okay for a non-Catholic to attend Adoration at a Catholic parish?

Reactions: ps139
Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is it okay for a non-Catholic to attend Adoration at a Catholic parish?
Most certainly!

Within the Catholic Church, the only thing non-Catholics are restricted from is receiving the sacraments (well, except for baptism :)). In this sense, adoration by a non-Catholic would be like attending Mass, and not going up for Communion, but still worshipping the Present Lord.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Most certainly!

Within the Catholic Church, the only thing non-Catholics are restricted from is receiving the sacraments (well, except for baptism :)). In this sense, adoration by a non-Catholic would be like attending Mass, and not going up for Communion, but still worshipping the Present Lord.

Whew....I've invited a handful of non-Catholics to adoration lately!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.