✟329,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Billnew said:
The primary religious book of a religion should not be taxed.

Not study guides, not periferal books, just the primary.

Churches are tax free, preachers salary are tax free,
as should be the primary religious book.
The goverment should not tax religion.
SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!
For the church to pay taxes would mean the
church is supporting the goverment. And that is just wrong.

Actually, it's the buyer that pays sales tax, so even if it is a church selling the Bible the church isn't paying taxes to the government.

Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Billnew said:
Churches are tax free, preachers salary are tax free,

This reminds me of a great line by Bill Maher during the recent rash of church burnings in the south. I can't remember it exactly, so this is a paraphrase.

"No reverend, you don't pay taxes you don't get to call the fire department. That's just for people who pay for the service.

If my house is on fire, I can call the fire department, I pay taxes. If your church is on fire, you can pray for rain."

I love Bill Maher :D

Upvote 0
A

atheosis

StromRider said:
This reminds me of a great line by Bill Maher during the recent rash of church burnings in the south. I can't remember it exactly, so this is a paraphrase.

"No reverend, you don't pay taxes you don't get to call the fire department. That's just for people who pay for the service.

If my house is on fire, I can call the fire department, I pay taxes. If your church is on fire, you can pray for rain."

I love Bill Maher :D
Yeah they could pray for rain, but its a catch 22 situation. There have been many times when a Church has been struck by lighting (because its the tallest building in town) and has burnt to the ground, again.

Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
atheosis said:
There have been many times when a Church has been struck by lighting (because its the tallest building in town) and has burnt to the ground, again.

Yeah, that being close to god stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Upvote 0

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 8, 2005
Ohio
✟18,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
frostymama said:
I don't see a problem with it. I have always paid sales tax on Bibles and it has never bothered me.
I agree, the 2-3 bucks tax shouldnt bother anybody, plus they do sell bibles for 1.00 at the christian store I go to. I would think that anybody who wanted a bible could afford 1.07 for it even with the tax.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trainwreck

Dec 11, 2005
✟7,722.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
People, people, look: this is not a big deal. Taxing Bibles is not going to prevent anyone from accessing one, especially when they're distributed freely everywhere, even online. Besides, I remember Jesus saying something about rendering unto Caesar...

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Machjo said:
Tehy tax books? Any book being taxed is rediculous; it's like a penalty for access to knowledge.

Just tax lumber; that's enough, is it not?

True, making all books tax free would demonstrate our commitment to knowledge and learning.

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
ACougar said:
True, making all books tax free would demonstrate our commitment to knowledge and learning.

Yeah ain't that the truth my friend!

Reactions: ACougar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't live in Georgia but I never knew that Bibles in any state were exempt from the sales tax. I personally think its awesome that some states exempt the sale of Bibles from sales tax. Sorry to hear about this change.

Upvote 0