Visit site
✟10,087.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In my home state of Georgia, as of Saturday all bibles will have sales tax on them like regular books. I myself am upset for I work in Christian retail but I would like to hear others this is based of a district court decision after someone from another religion complained about it and took it to court.

F

ForeRunner

willcoach said:
In my home state of Georgia, as of Saturday all bibles will have sales tax on them like regular books. I myself am upset for I work in Christian retail but I would like to hear others this is based of a district court decision after someone from another religion complained about it and took it to court.

If other religious texts (for example the Tao Te Ching, the Qu'ran, and the Dhammapada) are taxed the it is only fair that the Bible is taxed as well.

If they are not, then the Bible should not be taxed.

Upvote 0

Mskedi

Senior Veteran
Dec 13, 2005
✟21,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I've paid tax on every Bible I've ever bought. As a previous poster said, all religious books would have to not be taxed for this to be a problem.

There are so many groups that give away Bibles for free that I really doubt sales tax is going to prevent someone who wants to get a Bible from getting one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
JPPT1974 said:
IMO, that is good that they don't tax bibles!
Very good news!

Did you read it. They are taxing now. Which they should really.

Wow - you make 97 posts a day for over 70,000 posts worth!!!!! That's a post every 6 minutes for almost 10 hours a day for almost 2 years!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Gramaic

Sinophobic
Sep 20, 2005
Greater Los Angeles
✟9,413.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
willcoach said:

I understand how you feel. Religion books should not be taxed.

Upvote 0

charmtrap

Iä-R’lyeh! Cthulhu fhtagn
May 14, 2004
SF, CA
✟3,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Gramaic said:
I understand how you feel. Religion books should not be taxed.

Can you justify that opinion, please? Why shouldn't they be taxed?

(Personally, I think religious materials should be taxed double, and all the money spent on promoting the homosexual lifestyle...but that's just me :amen: )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

419gam

Veteran
Mar 26, 2005
California
✟1,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you define religion? The poster above says that religous books shouldn't be taxed. Does this mean that an Objectivists shouldn't have to pay tax on Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged? I also wonder what makes something legally a bible. Does the Complete Golfer's Bible count? Or what about a crazy translation which totally contradicts KJV but does tell the story of Jesus' death and resurection?

Not taxing bibles rasing way too many questions Churches are tax exemt, isn;t that enough?.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The primary religious book of a religion should not be taxed.

Not study guides, not periferal books, just the primary.

Churches are tax free, preachers salary are tax free,
as should be the primary religious book.
The goverment should not tax religion.
SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!
For the church to pay taxes would mean the
church is supporting the goverment. And that is just wrong.

Upvote 0