No more feelings

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian
And if I act respectfully and nothing changes, then what... I feel I have but maybe I wasn't? Am I crazy to think adults can compromise? He now has decided he wants to move out of the country when he retires (8 yrs) if I trusted him with my feelings and knew he would be there for me if I have more mental health issues I could do it. I'm terrified to move out of the country because of how we are now. So is it more that he answers to God for mistreating me and I just put up a wall and march on?

I wish I could help. My ex-husband sounds a lot like your current husband. I never would have left him because of my faith in God, I think. Or I was just afraid. I'm grateful that he finally divorced me and freed me from his Godless grip. If I had the strength, I probably would have left him. Maybe you should just get out and give yourself a chance for a little peace in your life.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not a Godly marriage. You are not married to a Godly man. You are called, however, to be a Godly wife regardless. You respect his position as the head/leader of the family. You don't have to feel respect for him, just act respectfully. If you don't want to, which I totally understand, then don't expect anything to get better. That's all I'm saying. You have a choice. You know what God expects of you in a marriage. If you don't want to do that, then get a divorce. Your heart is already hard.

(shrugs) sounds like spiritual pixie dust to me.

She has done the respecting and submitting thing, and it didn't get any better - sounds like it got worse. Yet, tell her to submit more otherwise she has a hard heart. Wow.

SLW - get counseling for yourself. Work on yourself. Nothing will get better if you feel you are being a doormat, or feel you are being treated as one. You have been married to someone with a hard heart, and confusion, hurt - and all the rest of it tends to follow that reality.

Sadly, for whatever reason he sounds very entitled. When you bow to much to an entitled person it turns into enabling them. Enabling doesn't help anything. Not him - not you - nobody.

He agreed to move, and now isn't happy and blames you for it. That's rather childish, and shows a person that doesn't know what to do with their feelings....so they project them onto others. Sounds to me like you have very relevant reasons NOT to trust him, and that's a hard place to be.

Yes, you can indeed respect him as a human being. I feel you should as well, but you also need to find ways of respecting yourself...and once you do that the rest will fall into place. Whether you stay or leave we are asked to still respect them as a human being, or as some people coin it...taking the high road. It's tempting to fall into the pit, and be ugly back ,etc. It's our human side.

Quite frankly, for your own mental health a separation maybe something to consider if you feel led to do so. It won't be easy, nice or pleasant. It will give you some breathing room to think about how to move forward. If he leaves? The bible tells us to allow the unbeliever to do so.

Keep in mind entitled people tend to give you ultimatums, and the decision must be made instantly. Don't bow to that, and it won't be easy NOT too. Sounds like your already groomed to bow under that type of pressure. If he feels he needs to stew because he didn't get his way (your instant giving in to his ultimatum) - let him stew. Allow him to live with his feelings, and his circumstance...because he needs too. If he runs instead? Sadly, you may need to face the fact he may not be capable of facing feelings - or much of anything of substance in his life.

A separation also may wake him up to the fact that more commitment on his part is needed. He may decide its worth it to him, or as I said above he may not. You may also find yourself in the position of looking at things from a different angle, and decide for yourself this is something you can live with.

Upvote 0

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian
(shrugs) sounds like spiritual pixie dust to me.

She has done the respecting and submitting thing, and it didn't get any better - sounds like it got worse. Yet, tell her to submit more otherwise she has a hard heart. Wow.

Marriages fail because of both parties, not just one. I'm not sure your comment to me was necessary as you misread it. I was not telling her that he heart was hard if she didn't submit more, but that it is already hard, clearly, and has been for some time.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Okay, I will try to be more specific about my situation. Sorry in advance for it being so long.

Our marriage has never been great, I probably shouldn't have married him. He gave me an ultimatum and I got anxious about being alone and said yes. There were signs when we dated, if we would start to talk about something he didn't want to discuss he would just walk away and leave. When I told him about things that made me feel bad, he wouldn't stop doing them. For example, flirting or looking at other women in front of me. I was going to church, but obviously I wasn't walking with God the way I should have been or I would have thought more about my decision and trusted that if I didn't marry him I would be okay and God would lead me where I needed to be in my life.

As far as abuse, cursing at me, pushed me down once, saying things like shouting "You are the worst ____ (f word) in the world", in front of my son. Telling me "We all" (meaning he and my sons) feel it is your fault these things are happening. Things like arguments because I asked about something more than once or needed clarification.

Emotional abandonment meaning we don't talk about feelings, we really only talk about what is going on in our kids lives (they are 18 and 21) or about what we need to do to the house or finances. When I have tried to talk about our relationship he gets angry and usually walks away or says "whatever". . . He will avoid confrontation at ALL costs.

Also, when I don't feel well or am recovering from surgery he makes me feel like it is an imposition on him. I went to the ER about 1 and a 1/2 years ago he let me go alone, then wasn't answering the phone when I called for a ride home due to them having to give me pain meds (he had fallen asleep, which really made me feel he didn't care), I had to take a taxi home.

I have stayed until now because aside from our issues he really has been supportive to our two sons. Very involved in their sporting activities and enjoying them. Although I will say he has gone over the edge with each of them at least once, putting his hand around their throat and telling them not to walk away from him.... funny because he walks away.

I would go to secular counseling as soon as we can afford it. Right now we are having to pay for Physical Therapy for my 18 year old due to a sports injury. I say I would go but honestly, I have opened my self up to trusting him so many times and then he will do something that closes me off to being vulnerable again. I don't trust him with my heart.

He would say that I don't talk to him, that I nag at him. How can asking a question about feelings be nagging...I don't understand this. He has said we are at a point in our relationship that we tolerate each other. So in his eyes we put up with being around each other, rather than care. We stopped saying "I love you about 12 years ago". . . He would also say that I caused him unhappiness by relocating us closer to my elderly mom and my sister. He was very unhappy about relocating and having to go backwards on the career ladder. He held a grudge for 10 years. Mind you, I had been apologizing for moving for 10 years. I had planned every vacation around things he liked to do. I encouraged him to buy a motorcycle, go hang out with friends.... anything I could think of but he still was angry with me.

Only after I went into the mental hospital for depression did he finally let it go. The depression came on after my oldest moved out and I started having anxiety about coming home to him. Anxiety about our lack of a relationship, anxiety over feeling this would be how my life would be forever (stuck in an unloving marriage)... I could go on but I hope this gives you a bigger picture.

Physical abuse. Violence. Emotional abuse. Verbal abuse. Assault of your sons. Neglect. Withdrawal. Resentment. Anger. Denial. Blaming.

I am afraid there is not very much to hope for here. You have stayed long enough to see your boys grow up; I think it may well be time to find some happiness for yourself; it looks as if there has not been much for a long time.

By all means see a counsellor before making any decisions, but be assured the Lord does not want marriage to look like yours; your husband ought to be your first protector and comforter, not someone who neglects you, assaults your sons and leaves you to get a taxi home from the hospital.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
It's not a Godly marriage. You are not married to a Godly man. You are called, however, to be a Godly wife regardless. You respect his position as the head/leader of the family. You don't have to feel respect for him, just act respectfully. If you don't want to, which I totally understand, then don't expect anything to get better. That's all I'm saying. You have a choice. You know what God expects of you in a marriage. If you don't want to do that, then get a divorce. Your heart is already hard.

Twaddle.

No wife is called to stand by while her husband puts his hands around their sons' necks; no wife has to put up with verbal abuse or neglect.

Her heart is not at all hard; chances are it is pretty well broken by what has happened. She can walk away any time she likes, and I can assure you that God will go with her.

Reactions: RedPonyDriver
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Marriages fail because of both parties, not just one. I'm not sure your comment to me was necessary as you misread it. I was not telling her that he heart was hard if she didn't submit more, but that it is already hard, clearly, and has been for some time.

Not as hard as yours, if you can say things like that to someone who has been treated as this wife has been.

Upvote 0

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian
Twaddle.

No wife is called to stand by while her husband puts his hands around their sons' necks; no wife has to put up with verbal abuse or neglect.

Her heart is not at all hard; chances are it is pretty well broken by what has happened. She can walk away any time she likes, and I can assure you that God will go with her.

My advice was if she wanted to save her marriage, not leave it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Whatever, lady. Failed marriages are never the fault of one party.

More twaddle.

People who are being abused in a marriage do not share responsibility for that abuse. Not a bit of it. NOBODY deserves to be abused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree it's not a marriage, but clearly she is undecided about what to do.

Abused women (anyone, in fact) will often be undecided, because the abuse destroys their self confidence.

But abusers do not stay the same; they escalate. Imo there is very real danger if this relationship continues on its present path. It is not a matter of being Godly; it is a matter of protecting everyone concerned from worse than has already happened; the signs are all there already.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I was in an abusive marriage. I know better. You?

Irrelevant to this thread. You may have shared the blame; I can't comment on that, but you cannot assume that everyone else is the same.

Abusers try to deflect blame onto their victims, but this is a lie; the responsibility for abuse rests with the abuser.

Upvote 0

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian
Abused women (anyone, in fact) will often be undecided, because the abuse destroys their self confidence.

But abusers do not stay the same; they escalate. Imo there is very real danger if this relationship continues on its present path. It is not a matter of being Godly; it is a matter of protecting everyone concerned from worse than has already happened; the signs are all there already.

Abusers do not always escalate. Sometimes they repent and are saved.

Upvote 0

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian
Irrelevant to this thread. You may have shared the blame; I can't comment on that, but you cannot assume that everyone else is the same.

Abusers try to deflect blame onto their victims, but this is a lie; the responsibility for abuse rests with the abuser.

Hardly irrelevant. I understand. You don't.

Upvote 0