• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How do you feel about not being able to work?

How do you feel when others tell you that you should work? Someone might quote a verse; for example, if you don't work then you don't eat.

How do you feel about accepting help from others? For example, you might have a food card, wait in line to get donations for the poor, lower medical prices.

Do you feel like you should feel ashamed and keep all this secret?

blessedbethyname101

Dec 30, 2015
north pole
✟9,406.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been on both sides of the the fence. I was off my meds and needed help. I sought help and received medication.

Also, I have received help since I was homeless once.

If you need help and are trying to survive without any other resources, I don't see any point of feeling ashamed about receiving help. I was truly down and out and had nowhere to turn.

I am now working part-time and living by myself. I give credit to those who supported me during my rough times,eg my family, therapist, etc.

I am no island to myself. I know I need help at times and seek it when necessary. I take my meds daily now and have a good relationship with my pastor and church who know about my condition. I have been blessed.

I want to find a full-time job next but am taking it one day at a time. I live in a foreign country, and if I become sick again, I cannot stay here. I take my meds faithfully partially because of this. There are no resources here for me if I become sick. That is life.

I am doing well now. I thank God for this. One never knows the future. But, I am relying on God to carry me through as usual. God was there when I was off my meds and homeless. I should have been more responsible but as usual exhibit poor judgment at times. I thank God for the resources that were available to me in my time of need.

I don't think anyone should feel ashamed for asking for help in the time of need.

Also, I would not judge someone because of their employment or non-employment. I was too sick to work before. That is a fact. Some people cannot work at times or cannot work at all. If others judge you by your work, then they are not worth your time nor energy. If they knew your situation, they would not judge. Also, God should only judge. I have had past so-called friends dump me since I lost my job before. They are not friends but users in my opinion. Who needs them? I am much happier now without such people in my life. I have met others who know my situation and still accept me for me, not for what I do. I have been blessed.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I went through a hard time not being able to work. Few knew, but those who didn't know would say the worst things about people in poverty. I'm not an addict, for example, but when people talk about "bad people" they mention addicts. I wonder how that makes people with addictions feel. Poverty is much the same. I know what it is like to lose friends because I struggle with sickness. People who did not know would say horrible things about those with mental illness. Apparently we are all faking it.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmm, I'm not schizophrenic,bipolar ..but I do have a very bad anxiety disorder..generalized anxiety.. And that's is a tough battle ..but I'm not gonna get into details, I'm just gonna answer the questions.

1) I can work, but I haven't BC the last 2 jobs I had were fast food, fast paced jobs and I could never catch on... I'd just end up in the way..despite my efforts..

I am gonna try for a part time position somewhere BC I feel I cant get any older and not work.. At least part time.

2) I hate when people throw that verse around loosely, I kinda hate society...its like if you dont fit in your a leper and they have they're pitch forks at yah..

3) I have an issue recie Ing help, BC I feel alot of people do it reluctantly... And I dont want to be a burden on anyone

4) I keep it to myself BC my parents have alot going on and I'm trying to be independent..if I told them exactly how I felt, they'd take away my permit, drop me from my classes and just dope me up on meds.. However , I can handle my anxiety..though..

But its very taxing..not just on my mind but body as well...its taxing keeping a secret.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can handle my anxiety..though..
That's great to hear, Far Side! :oldthumbsup:

I was very close to filing for disability because my illness was so bad I could barely function at work. Thankfully, it got some better and I didn't have to go through with it. If I had, though, my *guess* is that I'd be honest about it and try not to feel ashamed. I think the only time I'd feel ashamed would be if I was taking a handout and didn't really feel I deserved/needed it. Why be ashamed just because life has dealt you a bad hand?

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wonder about the people who decide to work and find out again that they can't.

Does God ever lead people to therapists and medicine and help?

What is one to feel if he or she turns to Jesus and still has the same problem?

Upvote 0

blessedbethyname101

Dec 30, 2015
north pole
✟9,406.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Abillify has saved my life. I think one man's meat is another man's poison. I credit the med for keeping me stable.

I also may join the ranks of having no job again though. I am moving to another area and am having difficulty finding a job. I am giving it to God though.

I will do what I can to look for a job once I move though. I have a job now but this will vanish once I move.

I am doing well despite this. I am working daily. I feel stress but am grateful to God for what I have.

I don't think a job defines one though. I will do the best I can to survive no matter what.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
<Staff Edit> How do you feel about not working if you cannot? And how do you feel about accepting help instead of being the one offering the help? For example, receiving food donations instead of giving them. How do the people in your life respond to those who are unable to work, poor, and accept help? Is there anyone you would hide it all from?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
<Staff Edit> How do you feel about not working if you cannot? And how do you feel about accepting help instead of being the one offering the help? For example, receiving food donations instead of giving them. How do the people in your life respond to those who are unable to work, poor, and accept help? Is there anyone you would hide it all from?

No comment. That's how I feel about it.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi all, never posted on these forums before but I'm a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic who has had very psychotic phases while not medicated and who is currently medicated but suffering (from the illness, from med side effects, from life problems, self esteem, etc.), as I'm sure many of you are suffering too.

How do you feel when others tell you that you should work? Someone might quote a verse; for example, if you don't work then you don't eat.

How do you feel about accepting help from others? For example, you might have a food card, wait in line to get donations for the poor, lower medical prices.

I feel horrible about not being able to work. I used to love working with my hands, labor type stuff, and enjoyed going to a regular day job too or didn't mind it much. Now it's a struggle to just take care of myself and do basic things like wash dishes, let alone handle stress of work.

I haven't had anyone tell me that I should work, but I do feel a lot of pressure from those around me who are trying to get me to work, people who are supposed to be professional and trying to help - and I don't care for it at all, it upsets me and make me very stressed out and frustrated. I get paranoid and think that there's a conspiracy to throw people in jail who don't work, and that type of thinking is always on the back of my brain aswell. My least favorite thing is when they say they are there to help me "take extra steps". It's an bad philosophy that lacks understanding and compassion, if I could take extra steps I would be taking them already. I'm suffering, I can't take extra steps.

I don't mind accepting help from people who genuinely want to help, in fact I'm more than willing, but I don't like people who try to belittle me or treat me like a child because of such things. Many people do that, including many organizations who are there to help. It doesn't leave many avenues to recieve help left unless you want to feel like this. I find the organizations are also sometimes partially conditional, or try to add conditions - like then trying to make you get to work, or "take extra steps"(which is impossible), etc.

I am ashamed. I know I probably shouldn't be, but I am. I can't date because of it, don't go out and socialize and meet new people because of it, etc. I feel I have nothing to offer anyone and it upsets me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bookofjade

Aug 7, 2016
Old Melbourne
✟7,922.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private

We all take hand outs love, so use the hand you're given

Well.

Upvote 0

God's Child

Psalm 23
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2006
✟135,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Admin Hat On

This thread is closed for staff review

UPDATE: This thread is being reopened. It has undergone a clean up. If you noticed a post of yours missing it was removed in the clean up.

Please remember to stay on topic, do not post against medical advice or discourage others from taking prescribed medication. Remember to post within the Recovery Guidelines and the site wide rules. Thank you.

Admin Hat Off

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blessedbethyname101

Dec 30, 2015
north pole
✟9,406.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
So, I am waiting for a response to a job to which I applied. I had a trial proofreading article to edit. I submitted it and now am waiting for the results. I don't expect much. I may or may not get the job. It is a 50:50 chance. I am depending on God to carry me through this all. I am doing well despite this anxiety I have. I wish I did not have anxiety about this. I praise the Lord for his benevolence. He has been kind to me, guiding me, and showing me His love. I feel love from my church as well. I know that whether or not I receive the job, in God's eyes, I am still loved. This keeps me going. God is not going to think any differently of me whether or not I obtain this job. Thus, I wait and pray, wait and pray. If I don't hear from them after a week, then it is over. Sigh! I wait and pray for now though.

Upvote 0