Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Underdog . . . I wince every time I say the word, especially in connection with Jesus. Yet, as I read the birth stories about Jesus, I cannot help but conclude that, although the world may be tilted toward the rich and the powerful, God, hallelujah, in His mercy, is tilted toward us, the underdogs!

No doubt, God is tilted toward the underdogs.

· Abraham and Sarah were old, and she was barren, yet God caused them conceived a child in their old age.

· Jacob wrestled with God, all night, prevailed, and God blessed him (Genesis 32).

· Joseph was thrown into a pit to die (at age 17), sold into slavery, accused of rape, falsely imprisoned, only to become prime minister of one of the greatest nations on earth.

· Moses, son of a Hebrew slave, was sent down the river, for his own safety, from the Egyptians, yet, in God’s mercy, he was raised among Egyptian Royalty, and in his mercy, allowed Moses to lead one of the weakest nations on earth, ultimately to conquer a land of giants (Exodus).

· Gideon led an army of 300 to defeat an army of thousands; by God’s mercy, they were given the victory (Judges 6-8).

· David was a small, shepherd boy, son of a poor man, whom God chose to anoint to become the next King of Israel, defeated a 9-foot giant in battle (1 Samuel 16-17).

· The Samaritan Women at the well, who had had many husbands, and was living with a man who was not her husband, God in his great mercy, used to bring others to Jesus Christ (John 4).

· Jesus Christ was born into a poor, stonecutter’s family, son of a young virgin woman, came into this world in a dark, damp cave, to be placed in a manger, where the animals ate, slept, and released their waste. Yet he grew in both favor of God and man, and ministered to the poor and down trodden, revealing God’s grace and mercy, so that even our deepest, darkest sins might be forgiven. And although, being in the form of God, made himself nothing, became obedient to death, even death on the shameful cross. “For this reason also, God highly exalted him, and has given him a name that every knee should bow . . . and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ in Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Matthew 1-2, Luke 1-2, Philippians 4).

Can you think of any other biblical underdogs?

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
God doesn't just help those who help themselves, he helps those who can't help themsleves and those who admit that they've screwed everything by trying to help themselves. In fact, the more you look to his grace to be sufficient, the more grace he gives! What a great, awesome, miraculous way to love us!

Upvote 0
Maybe the reason he helps the underdogs is that they recognize they can't do anything in their own strength that it takes an awesome powerful God to. :angel: :bow:

A8372-md.jpg

Upvote 0

Sword-In-Hand

Born again to raze hell
Nov 27, 2003
ky
✟17,362.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
1st Corinthians 1:26-28, "For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble are called, but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame, the things which are mighty and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are."

God gets more glory from working through someone who at first appearance is classified as a loser. I like being an underdog, but as the Audio Adrenaline song says, don't count out this underdog.:)

Upvote 0
T

Thursday

Interesting anecdote:My IV Bible Study leader back in college asked a friend who he though would be the least likely to accept Jesus of all of his friends. The guy he mentioned gave his life to Christ less than a year later, and has undergone a total transformation!
One night at Bible study this same person shared his testimony, and as a I heard the question (who was least likely to convert) I though of a friend of mine who was totally given over to sex, alcohol and gambling.
Well, as it happened, this man too gave his life to Christ a year later and has also reformed his life!!! Praise be to God!

Thinking about that reminds me of Matthew the tax collector, who dropped all when Jesus said, "Come, follow me."

[bible]Luke 5:27-28[/bible]

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thursday said:
In an odd way I think Simon the Zealot was an underdog. At one point battle-hardened warrior who is later called to be one of the best friends of the Prince of Peace! Who would have ever expected that?
Another underdog who comes to mind would be the good thief who repented on the cross and was saved!
:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.