England
✟15,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have been locked in a denomination battle for a long time, with my family being Catholics.I can't seem to find a denomination to suit me. There is not one that I entirely agree with, so which church do I choose to go to. I have just moved to a new area of the Uk and feel a bit lost.

Advice greatly appreciated.

peterandrewj

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2014
NYC
✟8,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been locked in a denomination battle for a long time, with my family being Catholics.I can't seem to find a denomination to suit me. There is not one that I entirely agree with, so which church do I choose to go to. I have just moved to a new area of the Uk and feel a bit lost.

Advice greatly appreciated.

1 Corinthians 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

I've wondered which church would such a person - with all knowledge and understanding - go to? I think One where charity is present, towards sinners, the weak, the sick, etc. The help God has for us doesn't only come from the pulpit. You'll probably find it in small churches.

None of them are perfect and they don't have to be when God is with you and in you. Just stay away from those promising worldly riches, or signs and wonders, or where the members have no care for each other.

I think you'll know the right one when your heart rejoices at the word, but expect conflict with some teachings, and with God's help reconcile any offense.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, one should seek a gathering that holds to the Bible in all ministry, worship, fellowship, and activity; and Christians who speak much of the Lord Jesus and God's Word. Don't be looking for a fun place, but the honor of the Lord and true devotion to the Lord Jesus, our only Savior.

Upvote 0

ALoveDivine

Saved By Grace
Jun 25, 2010
Detroit, MI
✟11,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Find a nondenominational church which holds the bible in high esteem and has a variety of opportunities to get involved. You can't do much better than that, and if you can find a church like that near you, praise God!

Upvote 0

Shadow316

May 21, 2014
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Find a nondenominational church which holds the bible in high esteem and has a variety of opportunities to get involved. You can't do much better than that, and if you can find a church like that near you, praise God!

I agree. find one that sticks to scripture and doesn't make things up - or take things away from it.

until you find one, try Les Feldick. He is on TV here in the states. He also has website, his teaching transcripts on online - some on youtube. give him a try. He sticks to the scripture. anything he says (his opinion) he tells you is his opinion! He's a bit hard to follow at first but it gets easier and then understanding scripture gets much easier! He doesn't ask for money, represents no denom or church. He is a rancher who has been teaching it for 50 plus yrs.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi FFPC2T,

My encouragement would be that you set denominationalism aside as a qualifier. What a born again believer seeks is a place of felloswhip with other born again believers. I agree with many of the preceding posts. Here is my 'short' list:

A fellowship where the teachers and pastors know and teach the truth.

However, let it be said that if the congregant doesn't know the truth themselves, then they won't really be able to search for this quality. This means that you need to study and show yourself approved by rightly dividing the Scriptures. Jesus made a very simple observation to God's people in his day. He asked: If a blind man leads a blind man, will they not both fall into the pit? I believe this is what the born again believer needs to always be mindful of when looking for a fellowship to enjoin for corporate worship. This quality is not necessarily denominationaly determined. Even though the overarching beliefs or statement of faith of a particular denomination may strive to put down some order of beliefs that it encourages among its local fellowships, and those items may be inline with the Scriptures, there is no guarantee that the leaders of the local fellowship are themselves teaching, or even know, the truth of the Scriptures.

The greatest example of this can be seen in the current issue of dealing with same sex lovers among the fellowships. Whole denominations have broken down and split apart over this issue. The reality is that there is only the truth of God's word that establishes the truth of this issue. Either the involvement of same sex people in the leadership of any fellowship is right before God, or it is not. One who practices such a lifestyle is either worthy to be a shepherd of God's flock or they are not.

It has been mentioned to try non-denominational fellowships, and quite frankly, I support this. As the song, 'Oh Buddha' by the Imperials sings, 'It won't be a baptist or a methodist that calls us home'. However, the same qualities of each fellowship of believers so defined, still needs to be tested for the same things as mentioned above.

Well, that's about it. If you are a born again believer, then you want to establish as your place of fellowship, a place where others, and especially the leadership, know and teach the truth.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi again FFPC2T,

Here's a link to the song I mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy2rDllbh3s

Notice please, that in this song it begins by separating the religions of the world, but the end speaks of separation within the fellowships of the 'church'.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums