No coverage of native american pipeline protests?

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Above the fold on the front page of the New York Times is meh?

I was referring to before the non-native mainstream media started to give the protest any real attention. It has changed now.

Ok, you get your way in the AM. The oil is still going to be pumped it's now going to be moved via rail cars, as a large amount is being moved now due to pipeline capacity being reached hence the new construction, how is that an improvement?

Neither one is a good option. Either one of these means of transport can cause a major spill and severely damage the environment. My opinion is that America should move away from its dependence on oil and other fossil fuels. I was going to further mention Bernie Sanders addressing this particular issue, but decided not to. I agree with him.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Neither one is a good option. Either one of these means of transport can cause a major spill and severely damage the environment.

Those are the options.

My opinion is that America should move away from its dependence on oil and fossil fuels.

Again, you magically get your way in the AM. The oil is still being to be pumped it's just going to be exported at slightly lower prices due to lowered demand.

Out of curiosity are the native nations going to help us get away from a fossil fuel based power grid by perhaps offering some of their lands for the massive expansion of nuclear capacity need to do that? The influx of construction money would be a great benefit for all concerned.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
there's been a lot of talk going on about the protests of some native american tribes against a pipeline being built through their land and sacred sites. While I think that this is certainly newsworthy, I have to go a bit "meta" in this thead.

Is it really true that big media do not adequately cover this story? As a german, I can't really say, so I'd like to hear the impression of some US citizens who (for some reason) watch television.

I read it in the Conservative, online media. Rather prominently displayed, in fact.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey,

there's been a lot of talk going on about the protests of some native american tribes against a pipeline being built through their land and sacred sites. While I think that this is certainly newsworthy, I have to go a bit "meta" in this thead.

Is it really true that big media do not adequately cover this story? As a german, I can't really say, so I'd like to hear the impression of some US citizens who (for some reason) watch television.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...line-north-dakota_us_57b4a481e4b04ff8839a0fac

FYI, the media blackout on the protest at Standing Rock has been discussed in several articles online.

Here are a couple of those articles.

http://theantimedia.org/native-american-pipeline-media-blackout/

http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/...-water-supply-media-blackout-not-bundy-ranch/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is what a underwater leaking pipeline looks like when it catches fire.

2B540D9600000578-0-image-a-26_1439468036266.jpg

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is what a underwater leaking pipeline looks like when it catches fire.

2B540D9600000578-0-image-a-26_1439468036266.jpg

Are oil spills and fires more acceptable when they originate from rail cars?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No more pipelines, anywhere in the United States. No more polluting the water and corrupting the land with those black snakes. No more pipelines being pushed through tribal lands and violating the treaties protecting what scraps of land Native Nations have left. America has the largest network of energy pipelines in the world, with more than 2.5 million miles of pipe. The water and the land has to be protected from any further corruption by those black snakes. Here is a map of all the current pipelines in this country.

View attachment 181426
Well the alternative is that it gets transported by rail or truck, which is more hazardous and creates even more pollution.

Stopping the pipelines is only going to hurt the earth even more. The oil and gas are going to get to their destinations, the market absolutely demands it. If one path is blocked, it will go to another route, and that route will be worse.

What reservations is the pipeline going through without native permission?

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hm...it may not be wise for the benefit of the many to be sacrificed for the benefit of the few on this issue.

How much more do Native Americans have to lose for the benefit of the many before people are satisfied?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are all one people...sometimes individuals and groups must suffer or make sacrifice for the well-being of all. It is unfortunate, but it is the nature of things.

Oh believe me, we have suffered and sacrificed enough, and have died since before this country was founded for the well-being of all. Instead of taking more scraps of land of what is left of our tribal lands, your land where you live should be sacrificed this time and have an oil pipeline ran through it. Let the pipeline poison your water and corrupt your land for the well being of all. You suffer and you make the sacrifice this time, after all, "the benefit of the many to be sacrificed for the benefit of the few on this issue."

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We are all one people...sometimes individuals or groups must suffer or make sacrifices for the greater well-being of the many. It is unfortunate, but it is the nature of things.
You may wish to put that in a memo to our government which broke treaty after treaty for at least 150 years if not more with the native americans.

If natives want something like this pipeline on their land, then fine. But if we are going to have reservations then we shouldn't be putting state and federal projects through them without approval. Note, I don't know if the NDAPL goes through native land, haven't seen anything saying it actually does, but it shouldn't without express permission from the tribes on the land.

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may wish to put that in a memo to our government which broke treaty after treaty for at least 150 years if not more with the Native Americans.

The United States government has broken every single treaty it has made with individual sovereign Indian nations.

Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties

If natives want something like this pipeline on their land, then fine. But if we are going to have reservations then we shouldn't be putting state and federal projects through them without approval. Note, I don't know if the NDAPL goes through native land, haven't seen anything saying it actually does, but it shouldn't without express permission from the tribes on the land.

The Sioux Nation of Standing Rock has made it more than clear that its people do not want this pipeline anywhere near their treaty land or on their reservation. In fact, they are currently suing Army Corps in federal court to stop the construction of the pipeline, to not only protect their land but also to protect the water of the Missouri river.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The United States government has broken every single treaty it has made with individual sovereign Indian nations.

Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties

The Sioux Nation of Standing Rock has made it more than clear that its people do not want this pipeline anywhere near their treaty land or on their reservation. In fact, they are currently suing Army Corps in federal court to stop the construction of the pipeline, to not only protect their land but also to protect the water of the Missouri river.
Does it actually run through their land though?

Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From what I can gather from the few articles I've read, it seems like it runs right next to the border of the reservation. I don't know if it's actually running through reservation land, though.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, it is on their treaty land in Hunkpapa Territory. The treaty land is guaranteed to the Sioux Nation of Standing Rock under the Treaty of Fort Laramie of 1868. The pipeline would be constructed a half mile from their reservation. The construction of the pipeline would also disturb burial grounds and sacred sites of the tribe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it is on their treaty land in Hunkpapa Territory. The treaty land is guaranteed to the Sioux Nation of Standing Rock under the Treaty of Fort Laramie of 1868. The pipeline would be constructed a half mile from their reservation. The construction of the pipeline would also disturb burial grounds and sacred sites of the tribe.
I'm looking at a map of the pipeline, and I don't see a reservation there. It appears to run north of the standing rock reservation.

Upvote 0