No coverage of native american pipeline protests?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,304.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Hey,

there's been a lot of talk going on about the protests of some native american tribes against a pipeline being built through their land and sacred sites. While I think that this is certainly newsworthy, I have to go a bit "meta" in this thead.

Is it really true that big media do not adequately cover this story? As a german, I can't really say, so I'd like to hear the impression of some US citizens who (for some reason) watch television.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...line-north-dakota_us_57b4a481e4b04ff8839a0fac

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey,

there's been a lot of talk going on about the protests of some native american tribes against a pipeline being built through their land and sacred sites. While I think that this is certainly newsworthy, I have to go a bit "meta" in this thead.

Is it really true that big media do not adequately cover this story? As a german, I can't really say, so I'd like to hear the impression of some US citizens who (for some reason) watch television.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...line-north-dakota_us_57b4a481e4b04ff8839a0fac

Yes, it is true, although continued criticism on social media for the lack of coverage has caught the attention of some of the news outlets, like the New York Times.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As an example.

NewYorkTimes.jpg

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's election season, and people are focusing on what Trump is going to say next.

Excuse me while I scoff. American Indians are apparently only news worthy when Trump insults us or calls Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas. But an estimated 4,000 + Native Americans and non-Native Americans from across the country standing with them - MEH. This protest does not just represent the Sioux Nation of Standing Rock but also the over 90 other Native American tribes standing in solidarity against the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline, including First Nations of Canada.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Excuse me while I scoff. American Indians are apparently only news worthy when Trump insults us or calls Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas. But an estimated 4,000 + Native Americans and non-Native Americans from across the country standing with them - MEH. This protest does not just represent the Sioux Nation of Standing Rock but also 90 + other Native American tribes standing in solidarity against the Dakota Access Pipeline, including First Nations of Canada.

Which I believe is more people than were involved in the government building takeover in Oregon that got constant news coverage

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which I believe is more people than were involved in the government building takeover in Oregon that got constant news coverage

Yes, it is. CNN and many other news media were covering that "takeover" every stinking day. But American Indians trying to protect the land and the water - MEH.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However, the ongoing growing protest and criticism for the lack of its coverage is starting to get the attention of the more mainstream media.

Just released: Standing Rock Chairman Dave Archambault will be on MSNBC at 8pm MST tonight.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I haven't seen too much about it in the mainstream media. I was surprised, because after looking at some videos it seems like quite the event. I did have an artist NDN friend post something on Facebook. Other than that, I've had to rely on my friendly neighborhood NDN activist to keep me updated.

Even though I live in NDN country, NDN issues seem to remain largely out of sight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't seen too much about it in the mainstream media. I was surprised, because after looking at some videos it seems like quite the event. I did have an artist NDN friend post something on Facebook. Other than that, I've had to rely on my friendly neighborhood NDN activist to keep me updated.

It is quite the event and it keeps growing.

Despite the lack of non-native media coverage and the opposition, the protest grows and native voices are getting louder and louder.

Even though I live in NDN country, NDN issues seem to remain largely out of sight.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is quite the event and it keeps growing.

Despite the lack of non-native media coverage and the opposition, the protest grows and native voices are getting louder and louder.

Out of sight, out of mind.

I combed the paper looking for any mention of the protests this morning. I couldn't find any but there was an article about two of the guys who got arrested for taking over that wildlife refuge last winter.

You would think there would be more interest. The pipeline could potentially harm more than the Reservation's water supply. The deeper issue here is our nation's energy policy, and I wonder if that's why it's it's not getting much press.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, @tadoflamb, it is about time. I watched this commentary and I will say that Lawrence O'donnell got it right. I thought he was open and honest. He did not sugarcoat American history or bow down to glorifying this country with American exceptionalism. I am proud of him for having the courage to tell the truth and not shift the blame.

Last edited:
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Well, @tadoflamb, it is about time. I watched this commentary and I will say that Lawrence O'donnell got it right. I thought he was open and honest. He did not sugarcoat American history or bow down to glorifying this country with American exceptionalism. I am proud of him for having the courage to tell the truth and not shift the blame.

I was just about to post this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was just about to post this.

I am still very impressed by Lawrence O'Donnell's blunt honesty about the truth of what happened to Native Americans in this country.

There is still talk about his commentary in many NDN circles online. It was no surprise that he made the NDN news here.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I just looked up some articles and realized I just drove through the oil fields that will feed this pipeline about a month ago. I can see a lot being on the line here. Entire towns have sprung up in ND due to the oil boom.

I would generally support the pipeline, as it is safer than rail transportation, but I think there needs to be clear accountability and action plans for if and pretty much when the pipes leak.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just looked up some articles and realized I just drove through the oil fields that will feed this pipeline about a month ago. I can see a lot being on the line here. Entire towns have sprung up in ND due to the oil boom.

I would generally support the pipeline, as it is safer than rail transportation, but I think there needs to be clear accountability and action plans for if and pretty much when the pipes leak.

No more pipelines, anywhere in the United States. No more polluting the water and corrupting the land with those black snakes. No more pipelines being pushed through tribal lands and violating the treaties protecting what scraps of land Native Nations have left. America has the largest network of energy pipelines in the world, with more than 2.5 million miles of pipe. The water and the land has to be protected from any further corruption by those black snakes. Here is a map of all the current pipelines in this country.

Map.jpg

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Excuse me while I scoff. American Indians are apparently only news worthy when Trump insults us or calls Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas. But an estimated 4,000 + Native Americans and non-Native Americans from across the country standing with them - MEH.

Above the fold on the front page of the New York Times is meh?

No more pipelines, anywhere in the United States. ...The water and the land has to be protected from any further corruption by those black snakes.

Ok, you get your way in the AM. The oil is still going to be pumped it's now going to be moved via rail cars, as a large amount is being moved now due to pipeline capacity being reached hence the new construction, how is that an improvement?

Upvote 0