Get the NIV 1984 Bible Online HERE (pre 2011 update version)

Feb 27, 2014
Texas
✟8,130.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In case anyone is interested the pre 2011 update NIV of 1984 can be found online here:

Read the New International Version Bible Free Online

Since the 2011 update all electronic versions of NIV84 have been removed from places like Bible gateway and the various Bible apps so I was quite surprised to see it here. Not that I absolutely detest the update, but I do think it was unnecessary and not an improvement in many places.

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've pretty much abandoned the NIV since the 1984 version has been removed. There are just too many better translations out there and they are too easy for most of us to acquire to be messing with a translation that shifts with the tide.

Upvote 0

SaintPeter

Feb 2, 2016
BC, Canada
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is not true anymore - Bible Study Tools NIV 1984 is now tainted.
We need to find the true 1984 NIV!

2 Corinthians 13:11 - Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.
NIV 1984.

has been changed to...

11 Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

Biblestudytools you ought to be ashamed!

http://www.biblestudytools.com/2-corinthians/13.html

Upvote 0

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
https://www.jesus-is-lord.com/nivdelet.htm

WHOLE Bible verses deleted in the NIV

The following WHOLE verses have been removed in the NIV--whether in the text or footnotes...over 40 IN ALL!!!

Matthew 12:47 -- removed in the footnotes

Matthew 17:21 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."

Matthew 18:11 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."

Matthew 21:44 -- removed in the footnotes

Matthew 23:14 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."

Mark 7:16 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"If any man have ears to hear, let him hear."

Mark 9:44 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Mark 9:46 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."

Mark 11:26 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Mark 15:28 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors."

Mark 16:9-20 (all 12 verses) -- There is a line separating the last 12 verses of Mark from the main text. Right under the line it says: [The two most reliable early manuscripts do not have Mark 16:9-20] (NIV, 1978 ed.) The Jehovah's Witness "Bible" also places the last 12 verses of Mark as an appendix of sorts.

Luke 17:36 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."

Luke 22:44 -- removed in the footnotes

Luke 22:43 -- removed in the footnotes

Luke 23:17 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"(For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.)"

John 5:4 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."

John 7:53-8:11 -- removed in the footnotes

Acts 8:37 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. It's deletion makes one think that people can be baptized and saved without believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. Sounds Catholic. What are you NIV readers missing?
"And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

Acts 15:34 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still."

Acts 24:7 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands,"

Acts 28:29 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves."

Romans 16:24 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
"The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

I John 5:7 -- Vitally important phrase COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. In the NIV it says,

"For there are three that testify:"
Compare the NIV reading with the following Jehovah's Witness reading--

"For there are three witness bearers,"
What are you NIV readers missing? What does the real Bible say?

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

NIV--it deletes over 64,000 words including words like mercyseat, Jehovah, and Godhead.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 18:11 -- COMPLETELY removed [also deleted from the Jehovah's Witness "Bible"]. What are you NIV readers missing?
How about we start with how we are not missing the confusion of the KJO mindset!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Feel better labeling ppl? Because in no way, shape, or form, have I ever posted I am KJO proponent.
Oh . . . so it seems that I was maybe a bit too quick to label you as a KJO!! Can I ask, is the KJV your preferred version?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No, its not. My two main goto bibles are the NASB & recently the NLT.
The NASB is certainly a good choice but the NLT is a bit too much of a paraphrase for my liking. When you said "What are you NIV readers missing? What does the real Bible say", what "real" Bible were you referring to.

Upvote 0

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The NASB is certainly a good choice but the NLT is a bit too much of a paraphrase for my liking. When you said "What are you NIV readers missing? What does the real Bible say", what "real" Bible were you referring to.
My only point to that whole post was to show that the NIV is probably the worst bible out there, thats it.

Its not 64K letters, its 64K WORDS. Now if you're fine ripping out entire chapters out of your bible, have at it. I would guess however that most didn't even know that.

That's it, full stop.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My only point to that whole post was to show that the NIV is probably the worst bible out there, thats it.

Its not 64K letters, its 64K WORDS. Now if you're fine ripping out entire chapters out of your bible, have at it. I would guess however that most didn't even know that.

That's it, full stop.
So am I to presume that your use of "real Bible" had no real meaning?

A couple of weeks back I did a study on the extra-Biblical word miracles where the NIV84 had 104 occurrences as against the NIV 2011 with 40, where even 40 is way too much. The NLT (a paraphrase) had an amazing 143 occurrences, which is admittedly better than the Living "Bible" which has 210. The NRSV had 15 (not too bad) whereas the ESV did better with only 14 and the NAB had none.

Miracles_How the versions use the word.png

The NIV along with other contemporary versions would have omitted the verses that you referred to for good reason.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So am I to presume that you use of "real Bible" had no real meaning?

A couple of weeks back I did a study on the extra-Biblical word miracles where the NIV84 had 104 occurrences as against the NIV 2011 with 40, where even 40 is way too much. The NLT (a paraphrase) had an amazing 143 occurrences, which is admittedly better than the Living "Bible" which has 210. The NRSV had 15 (not too bad) whereas the ESV did better with only 14 and the NAB had none.

The NIV along with other contemporary versions would have omitted the verses that you referred to for good reason.

No, it didn't have no meaning. I'm saying the NIV is NOT a "real" translation.

"The NIV along with other contemporary versions would have omitted these verses for good reason"

HOW does taking verses out of the bible, 2K years after the fact, equal a BETTER translation? Don't you think that the more "real" bible is one that is written closest to when the events occurred, or 2K later?

Come on!

Have you not noticed how much the "blood of Christ" is not mentioned either?

Why do you think that is?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No, it didn't have no meaning. I'm saying the NIV is NOT a "real" translation.

"The NIV along with other contemporary versions would have omitted these verses for good reason"

HOW does taking verses out of the bible, 2K years after the fact, equal a BETTER translation? Don't you think that the more "real" bible is one that is written closest to when the events occurred, or 2K later?

Come on!

Have you not noticed how much the "blood of Christ" is not mentioned either?

Why do you think that is?
As the only "real Bible" that we have is with the GNT5 (Greek New Testament 5th Edition) or with its variant the NA28 (Nestle-Aland 28th Edition) which has itself removed some of these verses or even marked many of them as being "unlikely to be in the original Greek", then all may be well. As there was no Greek Bible up until the Computensian Bible and with the soon to follow and hastily compiled text of Erasmus, then we have to undertake a bit of work over the past century to work out where Erasmus in particular improperly inserted texts from the Latin (and the faulty Greek texts) that he employed to make up his new Greek edition.

Upvote 0

Kevin gee

Jun 11, 2016
Texas
✟7,611.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is NOT the 1984 NIV . This is the 2011 edition. See psalm 8:4 it uses the plural " them" for "him", and does not use the word "man" but avoids it unlike the 1984 edition. I thought this was too good to be true. The 2011 edition should be called the Obama version, since it is more politically correct for the liberal crowd.

Upvote 0

BryanLL

Jul 2, 2016
Louisville, Ohio
✟15,211.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
The official archived version of NIV 1984 is available here: https://public.share.wheaton.edu/sites/Library/NIV/Forms/AllItems.aspx
It is searchable by phrase or browse by book in PDF form.
(There's also still a "rogue" site out there with this version: http://biblemegasite.com/outline-niv1984.html ... at least at the moment.)

I like the newer NIV, but as we have copies of the 1984 version in our church pews, that's the version I want to display on a powerpoint when scripture is being read from that version.

Upvote 0