• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Nightmares and flashbacks

lilnicciebaby

Godlywoman1627
Nov 2, 2013
wisconsin
✟7,702.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My daughter is five, so it has been about 6 years since my assault. Now I love my daughter and everything but I am just so frustrated that I have to stomach my attacker at visits because he has rights and stuff. Then I have nightmares of the attack days after the visit for her. Now I have not seen him for about two years because he is in jail but now I am finding that I am having flashbacks of the attack and he is no where around. I am at a loss of what to do. I never pressed charges because he is my daughter's father and thus a part of her but feel that maybe I should of. Too late now because the statue of limitations is up and I do not want my daughter to hate me however, I cannot continue to have nightmares and flashbacks either. What is a girl to do???

lilnicciebaby

Godlywoman1627
Nov 2, 2013
wisconsin
✟7,702.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have had help. I wish I could just keep him away but he has rights and has threaten to go to court and take her way if I do not let him see her. I always make sure that it is a supervised visit with my uncle around or something but I cannot keep him from seeing her. That is the boat I am in.

Upvote 0

ProverbsLady

Jan 3, 2012
Canada
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My heart aches for you. I understand the flashbacks and nightmares.

I've had amazing luck with mindfulness and meditation. Sometimes when I have an anxiety attack (which leads to nightmares, in my world), then I snap a rubber band around my wrist.
Sounds silly but it keeps me in the moment and how far I have come.

Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
I had flashbacks after I was attacked in 2013. After about 6 months they stopped and i was able to be intimate with my partner and I could travel on a train without having a flashback. Now I can actually sit in the same spot of the train where it happened and not have a flashback.
Johnnz is right, you should consider counselling to help with the flashbacks

Upvote 0

NewEnglandGirl

Putting on God's Full Armor
Apr 24, 2015
✟15,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was attacked way back when I was in the military. It was by a man that was married, had a family and worked for the hospital I was in. I pressed charges right away as did several others who, as it turns out, were his victims also. My flashbacks "slept" for a number of years until they were "awakened" some time after. I was then forced to get help. I think we all have enduring scars. One has to pray for healing and strength. One also has to forgive one's attacker eventually. This doesn't mean that they shouldn't be punished or feel remorse for their act. What are your attacker's feelings about what he did?

Upvote 0