✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
<staff edit>
Whiteness, as revealed in the history of America, is the expression of what is wrong with man. It is a symbol of man&#8217;s depravity.
James Cone, Black Theology and Black Power, 1997

This is the theology of Obama's Church. So a racist jerk's feelings were hurt by the perception of a racist joke. Tough.

Frankly, I don't really care much if his or any one else's fellings were hurt. If Obama's friends are free to spout the filth above then they should be men enough to take insults in return.

Freedom of speech works in all directions. Or, at least it used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It certainly does address the question. We are talking about racism, right? Explain to me why one mans image can be likened to an ape over and over and over and over and over and it is fine.... and another man is only presumably the brunt of a political cartoon that does the same and all hell breaks loose over it?

I would hardly say all hell broke loose.

GWb's likening is not racism because that is not the point of reference for the GWB link to the ape. It is intended as, and is an insult, but it is not rooted in racism. Of course you know this but what the heck, let's just waste time anyway. On the other hand, references to monkeys/apes in relation to black people is rooted in racism. It really is quite simple.

Now is the cartoon racist, I don't know more over I don't really care. I personally as an African American am not offended I think it was a stupid not funny cartoon, however I can, given the history of the connection as explained and we are all aware of, can understand how others might be.

Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
Whiteness, as revealed in the history of America, is the expression of what is wrong with man. It is a symbol of man’s depravity.
James Cone, Black Theology and Black Power, 1997

This is the theology of Obama's Church.
So a racist jerk's feelings were hurt by the perception of a racist joke. Tough.

Frankly, I don't really care much if his or any one else's fellings were hurt. If Obama's friends are free to spout the filth above then they should be men enough to take insults in return.

James Cone has nothing to do with this, and I would have to read more about what Cone defines as "whiteness" to know what he's really saying. I highly doubt he just means "lack of melanin" is the root of all evil. Anyway it has little to do with the cartoon.

Freedom of speech works in all directions. Or, at least it used to.
This isn't a freedom of speech issue, because (as far as I know), none of the protesters are demanding the government to censor the newspaper.

Upvote 0

Phylogeny

Veteran
Dec 28, 2004
✟2,426.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
For the last 8 years a white person was compared to a monkey.

Please explain why it's ok to compare one man to a monkey and it's not ok to compare another.

Please, I'd love an explanation of this double standard.

The same reason people don't slant their eyes at an East Asian anymore. it's associated with our negative racial past and people who used to do it were racists. Therefore, people who still REMEMBER these things done to them project their experience onto the present situation believing people do it with the same intent.

Just because we closer to a racially equal society doesn't mean that people are ready to forget the past.

FWIW, I have had people play slanty eyes on me (I'm Chinese) growing up and I never cared but I can understand why people may be upset by such behavior.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would hardly say all hell broke loose.

GWb's likening is not racism because that is not the point of reference for the GWB link to the ape. It is intended as, and is an insult, but it is not rooted in racism.

Congress' likening is not racism because that is not the point of reference for Congress' link to the ape. It is intended as, and is an insult, but it is not rooted in racism.

The ensuing outrage was just another knee-jerk reaction from the oppressed Al Sharpton, et al.

sharpton_obama.jpg

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Congress' likening is not racism because that is not the point of reference for Congress' link to the ape. It is intended as, and is an insult, but it is not rooted in racism.

The ensuing outrage was just another knee-jerk reaction from the oppressed Al Sharpton, et al.

sharpton_obama.jpg

Well that's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, just like others are entitled to think wonder if the connection with the ape is rooted in racism given any reference to the stimulus bill is in relation to the black president.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MerchantofMenace

Where there's a will, there's a weapon.
Feb 23, 2007
In a mansion.
✟9,060.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well that's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, just like others are entitled to think wonder if the connection with the ape is rooted in racism given any reference to the stimulus bill is in relation to the black president.

They're insulting the Irish. It's not a reference to black people. It's a reference to the racism against the Irish. I've got some Celt ancestry. I need reparations!

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.