NYC
✟9,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After two days of picketing and vociferous protests, the New York Post has apologised for printing a cartoon that was interpreted by some readers as comparing America’s first black President to a crazed and violent ape.

A qualified apology was posted in an editorial on the tabloid’s website yesterday evening as 200 protesters marched outside its Manhattan offices. Civil rights leaders and politicians were offended by the sketch, which referred to the shooting of Travis, a celebrity chimpanzee who went on a violent rampage this week.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5772951.ece

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Photo from the protest march
_44602194_unilever_getty_416.jpg

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How many of them show the said monkey being shot to death?

Argh you have GOT to be smart enough to make that connection on your own.

You do realize a crazed ape was shot dead recently.... you do realize some people might describe the stimulus package as the working of a crazed ape.... you have GOT to be smart enough to make that connection on your own.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
K

kat69

So would you be ok with calling a black person a monkey to their face? You really don't see how offensive that is?

Absolutely not! I do not believe they were referring to Obama as a monkey. Did you read the cartoon? It was talking about who wrote the stimilus bill. Obama did not write it! He only signed it. It didn't indicate the signee but the writer. It was congress and that's who it was referring to...not Obama...but people chose to interpret it that way...it was obious that the race card was going to be played..

The problem is for centuries black people were compared to apes, and inferior by racist.

It's true that they used to be referred to as monkeys/apes (and I hate that it happened) but I do not believe this was the case. Is this how everyone is going to react anytime somebody has a negative thing to say or makes fun of Obama? They're going to accuse them of being racist????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BlackAndy

Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have whites been historically degaraded with ape images/comparisions?

Whites have been degraded across the globe, be it their religion, their national heritage, etc. And it really depends on which whites you are talking about. Arabs commonly refer to all Jewish people as apes.

But why should it make a difference? I thought we were striving for equality in this nation. Equal is equal. If you can mock a white president with monkey images you can damn well do it to a black president... if we're talking equality, that is. Or is whats good for one not quite good for the other? Are white folks just suppose to be above offense? The whole idea of that is racist. I mean, really. When did black folks gain a monopoly on race?

Consider:
Could you imagine the uproar over a White Entertainment Television? How about a White Collegian Magazine? White Enterprise Magazine? How about a special fund so white kids can go to college?
How about an awards program for the outstanding achievements and performances of whites only?
Can you imagine if there was a website called www.whitecollegesearch.com for white kids that want to segregate themselves as much as possible?

Or how about a Congressional White Caucus?

A beauty pageant for whites only?

What if a million white men marched on DC and aired their grievances?

Separate but equal. That racism. At it's very core.

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
K

kat69

Whites have been degraded across the globe, be it their religion, their national heritage, etc. And it really depends on which whites you are talking about. Arabs commonly refer to all Jewish people as apes.

But why should it make a difference? I thought we were striving for equality in this nation. Equal is equal. If you can mock a white president with monkey images you can damn well do it to a black president... if were talking equality, that is. Or is whats good for one not quite good for the other? Are white folks just suppose to be above offense? The whole idea of that is racist. I mean, really. When did black folks gain a monopoly on race?

Consider:
Could you imagine the uproar over a White Entertainment Television? How about a White Collegian Magazine? White Enterprise Magazine? How about a special fund so white kids can go to college?
How about an awards program for the outstanding achievements and performances of whites only?
Can you imagine if there was a website called www.whitecollegesearch.com for white kids that want to segregate themselves as much as possible?

Or how about a Congressional White Caucus?

A beauty pageant for whites only?

What if a million white men marched on DC and aired their grievances?

Separate but equal. That racism. At it's very core.

:thumbsup::amen:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.