1970jennifer

Jan 18, 2013
St. Paul, MN
✟15,197.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
( couldn't think of a good title, sorry)

Greetings!!

It's been a bit since I posted here so I wanted to say "hi".

I visited other forums like liberal Christians, Catholics and Baptists and I belong here. I've really been looking for an easy way to worship God but I just found a lot of really weird stuff. Oh my gosh, has anyone ever seen this lady Joyce Meyer? Yeah, EO is where I belong.

I met with a spiritual director, I posted to a chaplain and I learned that I really fit the profile to practice the EO faith. I learned that my own belief system is has really gotten me into a lot of trouble and I need to change. I need to learn a new way. I'm a total sinner. Sheesh, someone call a priest!

So...I actually will meet with a priest at St. George Greek Orthodox here in St. Paul but I also value this forum, you guys are wicked knowledgeable. I need to be Chrismated and I need to find some sort of Catechism.
There's tons of books on Amazon about Easter Orthodoxy. Can anyone recommend one that's like a catechism?

Lent starts tomorrow. What should I do?

If you were beginning your journey into Eastern Orthodoxy, is there anything you would do? It's really important to me that I make changes in my life.

The biggest thing I wanted to ask for is if there was one person here who would be willing to be a sort of EO mentor for me. Someone I could message for specific questions so I don't have to post little things here and can dig into deeper stuff. Anyone?
Well, good to be back:)

Jen

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello! It's lovely to see you and I'm glad you've found Orthodoxy.

The most important thing you can do is meet with that priest and go to Church, but I get the thirst for knowledge :)

We don't have a catechism really but we do have some wonderful introductory books that go through the basics and touch on deeper stuff. Here's what I know most priests recommend (but do discuss your reading with the priest)

The Orthodox Church - Timothy Ware (now Bishop Kallistos) - this is the history of the Church. It's a bit dry in places but it's a good foundation.

The Orthodox Way - Bishop Kallistos Ware - this is more like a catechism in that it's an overview of Orthodox beliefs and life.

Bread and Water, Wine and Oil - Meletios Webber - this is a more recent book and my favourite of the introductory books.

There's also this: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity by Dcn Andrew Smith (Paperback) - Lulu which a friend of mine published and is another good introductory text.

Lent does start tomorrow...for the West :) Ours doesn't start for a few weeks, so don't stress about that yet. And what you should do for Lent Orthodox-wise only makes sense if you're attending the services.

The important thing to know is that if you want to change, the Church really can help. It's made the greatest sinners into glorious Saints, and God has given us the tools in the Church to help us in that transformation, all we have to do is be willing. My biggest tip for you is to take it slowly and steadily - read those books, but don't get into heavier stuff. Take what you read on the internet with a very very big grain of salt - I know that internet Orthodoxy has actually caused me more harm than good on a few occasions. Your priest and your parish will always be the best place for answers, we just know about stuff intellectually sometimes (and it's a fun place to chat).

What you need to know about the internet Orthodox is that we're all sinners. And none of us match the mark that is repeated over and over online for a spiritual life, be that the long prayer rules or even the stricter of the fasting rules. All of us fall into spiritual ruts and struggle to pray, all of us sometimes succumb to our passions and really mess up. God forgives us always, but you don't see the struggle on here much, only the glory and the ideal which is what we discuss because it's what we should be striving towards.

A lot of converts dive in and try to take on the full fasts, long prayer rules, huge amounts of reading... and they burn out, or they find themselves in despair at seemingly never being able to do what they see as necessary to 'be Orthodox'. What is actually important is the guidance given by your spiritual father (the Parish priest, generally speaking). Keep the prayer rule (if any) that he gives you. Read what he tells you. Don't get into arguments online too much when you're new - try to read what's edifying rather than arguments especially arguments over petty things - trust me, the Orthodox community online has its pet topics!

If you want someone to just ask for quick questions (always remembering that your parish priest is the best person for that) you can PM me if you like :)

Lovely to see you back! :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
great to see you again, and glory to God you are coming home!

as far as starting out in Orthodoxy? I would say go to Church when you can and talk to the priest when you can.

as far as stuff to read, the Antiochian page has some good general stuff written about the Church: Discover Orthodox Christianity | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese

and then Fr Mark Hodges wrote a Seeker's Manual that I remember has a lot of good stuff in it: a seekers manual by Fr Mark Hodges (Paperback) - Lulu

and please stick around!

Upvote 0