Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I heard about this plan a couple years ago when they were looking at putting it at Antiochian Village. So glad to see it is moving forward and they've got the property. This will be the first Antiochian Archdiocese monastery in North America, is that correct?

I think it's different, because St Thekla's at the Villiage has an abbess, and this article says they are searching for one.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wait, the Antiochian Archdiocese didn't believe in monasticism? I'm confused. Aren't Metropolitan Phillip and the other bishops all monastics?

It was my understanding that they (or at least Metropolitan Philip) believed that monasticism has no place in America.

Metropolitan Philip and the late Archbishop Dmitri once crossed paths. Metropolitan Philip saw Archbisop Dmitri wearing his black cassock, whatever the black hat is called, and holding his bishop's staff. Metropolitan Philip, dressed in the more Catholic style, gestured to Archbishop Dmitri's attire and said, "Archbishop Dmitri, come on. We're in America now." Archbishop Dmitri responded by saying, " I've always been in America. Where have you been?" and then continued on his way without looking back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It was my understanding that they (or at least Metropolitan Philip) believed that monasticism has no place in America.

Metropolitan Philip and the late Archbishop Dmitri once crossed paths. Metropolitan Philip saw Archbisop Dmitri wearing his black cassock, whatever the black hat is called, and holding his bishop's staff. Metropolitan Philip, dressed in the more Catholic style, gestured to Archbishop Dmitri's attire and said, "Archbishop Dmitri, come on. We're in America now." Archbishop Dmitri responded by saying, " I've always been in America. Where have you been?" and then continued on his way without looking back.
I'm sorry to sound disrespectful, but that bugs the heck out of me. Just because we're in America doesn't mean we drop all our traditions in the Church. This is the problem with this country. We have to meld into clones here and be like everyone else because this country is THE BEST. Every other country is way below us. I hate that arrogant part of our country.

Good for Archbishop Dmitri.

I like seeing the cassocks and hats and staffs, dang it! It makes clear who we are and what we believe and that we are indeed NOT PART OF THIS WORLD.

...sorry for the rant.

Upvote 0

Fotina

Sep 17, 2004
✟1,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Metropolitan Phillip did not oppose monasticism but wanted to do it at right time and right way as is now being done. Photos are lovely.

An interesting note: The new Patriarch of Church of Antioch, HB John X, is a schema monk of Mount Athos, and wears his schema robes under his cassock. added: Also, his brother is Metropolitan of Aleppo, and a sister is a nun, 3 monastics of 5 siblings.

OTOH, I think Bishop Basil of Wichita is the only tonsured monk in Antiochian Diocese of NA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OTOH, I think Bishop Basil of Wichita is the only tonsured monk in Antiochian Diocese of NA.

I think so as well. I got to meet Bishop Basil on my wedding day. He happened to be at the cathedral in Dallas for whatever reason, and we chatted for a few minutes. I've only heard good things about him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think so as well. I got to meet Bishop Basil on my wedding day. He happened to be at the cathedral in Dallas for whatever reason, and we chatted for a few minutes. I've only heard good things about him.

I've met him at least two times, and seen him at least 3. He's very kind. :)

Upvote 0