Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was actually listening to K-Love, which is a Christian radio station and they had a brief commercial about the flood. They said that in Psalms it mentions that before the flood, the mountains were lower than they are now and there weren't any low-lying areas. It wasn't until after the flood that the mountains were raised and the valleys were lowered. This is what is says in Psalms. The earth could've been much, much flatter than it is now. They also said that right now, there is enough water on the earth that if the earth was flatter (no high mountains or deep valleys) it would cover the earth over 8,000 feet! That's 1 1/2 miles. So, clearly, there wouldn't be the need for that much water in the first place to cover Mt. Everest, because it wasn't as high as it is now. This is what the bible says. What do you think?

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I would have to see the context of the verse before I could give my opinion. I suspect, however, that the phrase being used (if it is actually in the Psalms) is hyperbolic in nature and not meant to be taken as literal fact, anymore than the apocalyptic language used in Isaiah 13:10 or 34:3-5 (which are in fact only prophecies against Babylon and Edom)!

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Saucy said:
If the world was flat (no high mountains or deep valleys) there's enough water on the earth right now that it would cover the earth by 8,000 feet.
So why wasn't it? Why was the earth not already covered with water from the start? How did the mountains and sea-floor rifts come about in such a space of time without anybody noticing?

You are just change one set of irreconcilable problems for another.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Saucy said:
The simple answer is God. God created the heavens and the earth. You don't think He can't pull the mountains higher and the valleys deeper?

It's not that he could not, it's that the evidence is overwhelming he did not or that if he did he is deceiving us by putting evidence that he did no such thing.

So either he didn't or he is a deceiver. Which is your choice?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Saucy said:
The simple answer is God. God created the heavens and the earth. You don't think He can't pull the mountains higher and the valleys deeper?
If he is willing to do that, he can make water appear and disappear from nothing, so why the need to try and make it look more 'plausible' (and fail)?

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All I'm trying to do is have faith that what God says is 100% right. I can say that Samson fought and took out over 1,000 men in one battle...by himself and you would say that's implausable. It couldn't happen. Why not? There is NO LIMIT to God's power. Many people I talk to about the flood say it's impossible that there was a canopy of water above the earth. Couldn't God make it happen if He wanted? No, it doesn't make sense scientifically so the bible must be wrong because science takes authority over the bible. Give me a break. If you can't have faith that the bible is accurate and God gave you His word, then I don't see how you can have faith in Jesus' miracles or even how you can call yourself a Christian.

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Saucy said:
All I'm trying to do is have faith that what God says is 100% right. I can say that Samson fought and took out over 1,000 men in one battle...by himself and you would say that's implausable. It couldn't happen. Why not? There is NO LIMIT to God's power. Many people I talk to about the flood say it's impossible that there was a canopy of water above the earth. Couldn't God make it happen if He wanted? No, it doesn't make sense scientifically so the bible must be wrong because science takes authority over the bible. Give me a break. If you can't have faith that the bible is accurate and God gave you His word, then I don't see how you can have faith in Jesus' miracles or even how you can call yourself a Christian.

Fine but don't start mixing in science to explain things as well. That is the Creationist problem, they want to have both the penny and the cake. They want to use science to support their viewpoint but also want to invoke miracles when and if required.

I personally cannot see how someone can be a Creationist and be a Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How is that? I believe in creation...a literal Genesis as the bible describes it happens. I believe the bible is 100% accurate. I believe in Jesus and all His miracles. Those things science can't explain. What's wrong if I can say that many branches of science can prove creation? Can prove the earth is young? Can say that dinosaurs and man co-existed? That evolution is indeed a hoax? That life is too complex to have come about from random processes? Nothing is wrong. But base the science off the bible. Don't say that bible is wrong because one man or woman comes along with a theory.

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Saucy said:
Can prove the earth is young?

You can say this but it's not science and is contradicted by the evidence.

Can say that dinosaurs and man co-existed?

You can say this but it's not science and is contradicted by the evidence.

That evolution is indeed a hoax?

You can say this but it's not science and is contradicted by the evidence. This one is also a lie.

But base the science off the bible.

You can say this but it makes a bad scientist.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟831,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Contradicted by the evidence? What evidence? Man's theory? Dating methods? What about the fact that there have been many cave paintings found that show T-Rex and Brontosaurous(sp?) along with humans and other animals? How would ancients know what dinos looked like? What about clay sculptures found in Ancient Mayan cultures and such that are of dinosaurs? Dinosaur and humans footprints found in the same limestone strata? Dinosaurs mentioned in the bible? What evidence is there supporting that dinosaurs died 65 million years ago? Dating methods which aren't accurate? Yep...that's all there is. Did you know that when a scientist tries to "figure out" the age of something, he adds into the equation his OPINION on how old he or she thinks it is! Not to mention that you can date the same object 100 different times and get 100 different results and all they do is average in the numbers and come up with their answer. I know this because we have a pastor at our church who was once a scientist before getting saved. I don't trust man and his theories and opinions. I trust God.

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Saucy said:
Contradicted by the evidence? What evidence? Man's theory? Dating methods? What about the fact that there have been many cave paintings found that show T-Rex and Brontosaurous(sp?) along with humans and other animals?

Please inform your local university. No such thing has ever been found. There are some doctored photos of the Bernifal cave drawings floating around but no genuine cave paintings of dinosaurs exist. See, this is an example of people not researching and just gullibly accepting Creationist nonsense because they like the sound of it.

How would ancients know what dinos looked like? What about clay sculptures found in Ancient Mayan cultures and such that are of dinosaurs?

Please don't fall for the Ica stone rubbish. They tracked down the people who actually made them for like a buck a piece.

Dinosaur and humans footprints found in the same limestone strata?

LOL, even most Creationist groups admit this is false. Even your sources you use are out of date.

Dinosaurs mentioned in the bible?

No they are not. Neither Behemoth or Leviathan makes a convincing case. Heck, unless dinosaurs were mammals.

What evidence is there supporting that dinosaurs died 65 million years ago? Dating methods which aren't accurate? Yep...that's all there is.

See, you've swallowed the party nonsense hook line and sinker. As probably the only person on this entire forum who has performed dating analyses I can tell you that you don' have the least clue what you are talking about.

Did you know that when a scientist tries to "figure out" the age of something, he adds into the equation his OPINION on how old he or she thinks it is!

RUBBISH. And insulting in the extreme coming from someone I doubt can integrate a polynomial. I am one of these scientists you are accusing of fraud basically.

Not to mention that you can date the same object 100 different times and get 100 different results and all they do is average in the numbers and come up with their answer.

I would call you a liar except I know you haven't been within a light year of a geophysical lab. You are just parotting silliness some liar told you.

I know this because we have a pastor at our church who was once a scientist before getting saved. I don't trust man and his theories and opinions. I trust God.

My guess is your pastor was as much a scientist as a pro football player. It sounds like getting saved made him a liar or he is just parotting something a liar told him.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Micaiah

Dec 29, 2002
Western Australia
Visit site
✟2,837.00
Faith
Christian
KerrMetric said:
Fine but don't start mixing in science to explain things as well. That is the Creationist problem, they want to have both the penny and the cake. They want to use science to support their viewpoint but also want to invoke miracles when and if required.

I personally cannot see how someone can be a Creationist and be a Christian.

And you are saying TE's don't do this? I just finished reading a thread in which TE's claim that we should trust what scientists say about evolution but that the first cell was created as a miracle by God since it is too hard for scientists to explain.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.