New citizenship exam emphasizes principles.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can you name one of the country’s longest rivers? A Native American tribe? What makes Benjamin Franklin famous?

Immigrants aspiring to become U.S. citizens will be expected to answer these and other questions on a new naturalization exam that officials hope will deepen their understanding of civics and history and discourage rote memorization of facts and figures.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has been working on the test redesign for more than two years and administered a pilot version to more than 6,000 volunteer applicants. On Thursday, the agency released the final set of 100 test questions that immigrants should study to prepare for the exam, which will be given in their interview to become U.S. citizens starting in October 2008.

The goal of the redesign is to encourage a deeper understanding of U.S. government and an attachment the country and its principles. “Citizenship is not only a benefit but it’s also an identity,” said Alfonso Aguilar, chief of the agency's office of citizenship.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/new-test-citizenship-1853131-exam-immigrants

bunced

Apr 4, 2007
✟5,413.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
OK, I'm a non-Yank, so I apologise in advance for my answers!! But all in good fun

Can you name one of the country’s longest rivers?
Mississippi

A native American tribe?
The Huron

What makes Benjamin Franklin famous?
Mmmm, not sure on this one. Is it something to do with human rights and also science?

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder what the difference in scores would be if the test was given to natives and immigrants alike. :D

I think Jay Leno, or somebody like that did a segment where they went out on the streets and just asked people questions from the citizenship exam. Many of them couldn't answer the questions; funny because our own citizens would fail the test to actually be citizens. Oh the irony!

Upvote 0

SteveAtheist

Jun 28, 2007
✟8,812.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
OK, I'm a non-Yank, so I apologise in advance for my answers!! But all in good fun

Can you name one of the country’s longest rivers?
Mississippi

A native American tribe?
The Huron

What makes Benjamin Franklin famous?
Mmmm, not sure on this one. Is it something to do with human rights and also science?

2 out of 3, which I fear is probably better than a large number of Americans would do. You can look up Ben Franklin on your own if you like, but he is most famous for a theory about flying a kite with a key in a lighting storm to prove that lighting was electiricity. He had many quotes, one of which was told to me by my father every day of my life that was lived at home:

"You lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas"

(the original was much more old englishy but this traslation is the one that was told to me)

Upvote 0

Maxwell511

Contributor
Jun 12, 2005
Utah County
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The goal of the redesign is to encourage a deeper understanding of U.S. government and an attachment the country and its principles. “Citizenship is not only a benefit but it’s also an identity,” said Alfonso Aguilar, chief of the agency's office of citizenship.

Citizenship is an identity?:scratch:

I thought it was a responsibility.

This sort attitude probably is the reason for such a low voter turnout in the US.

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think Jay Leno, or somebody like that did a segment where they went out on the streets and just asked people questions from the citizenship exam. Many of them couldn't answer the questions; funny because our own citizens would fail the test to actually be citizens. Oh the irony!

I just read the published 100 questions. It is my opinion that new immigrants should answer all of them, instead of just 10. Also, I think this test should be one of the tests that a student has to pass in order to graduate high school and college. This way, maybe more citizens wouldn't be so hypocritical towards immigrants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Probably it would be more constructive to have exams that test ethics, integrity and commitment to nation. In the end who really cares about all the little details like the names of rivers. Most people aren't smarter than a 5th-grader anyways.

Upvote 0