ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As I mentioned previously, it would be a good idea to discuss the points that were raised by the main NARzie site which is run by the ICAL or the International Coalition of Apostolic Leadership which was led for a few years by C. Peter Wagner who is the godfather of the NARzie movement.

With my own approach to the subject, the first obstacle that I encountered was that unless those involved understood the basics of what the Scriptures had to say regarding a/Apostles and prophets then we could end up running around in circles. Once I thought about the role of a Biblical a/Apostle I quickly realised that my own understanding was not all that clear (which is something that I was aware of even years back), so I decided to refer to my TDNT (Theological Dictionary of the New Testament) along with my invaluable BADG Lexicon (Bauer’s, Arndt, Danker & Gringrich).

This was probably one of the more satisfying studies where I even took some photocopies of the relevant pages of these two books to work, where I am in the process of highlighting, making notes, drawing in connecting lines and the works. One of the first outcomes was that these two authoritative works spent some time explaining the key differences between that of a standard congregational apostle (1Cor 12:28; 2Cor 8:23; Phil 2:25; Eph 4:11) and an “Apostle-of-Christ” (1Cor 1:1; Col 1:1; Eph 1:1) which is what the Twelve and Paul are.

Now I’ve understood for many years that a congregational apostle and the Twelve along with Paul that they were different but to be able to understand this from within a Biblical framework has definitely been one of my more rewarding studies. It was rightfully pointed out that the role of an “Apostle-of-Christ” is not an Office (of the Church) as they were commissioned to represent Christ here on earth and as such their roles would only continue until the last one died. Unlike the congregational apostle who is best equated to a modern day missionary-church planter, where he is sent out under the authority and initiative of the local congregation, the Apostle-of-Christ has been directly commissioned by Christ to be his Agent here on earth, where the Apostle-of-Christ has also been sent into the world by Christ himself.

So any attempts to connect the contemporary Office of the apostle and particularly with the NARzie perspective of a regional Apostle with that of an Apostle-of-Christ serves no purpose as they cannot “restore” what cannot in fact be restored.
That sounds so interesting. I would love to see those pages and your notes if you could make them into a .pdf document or .gif image.

If you have them on your computer you can cut & paste them into Word and then save the document using 'Save As' and choose to save it as a .pdf document. I do it all the time.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I can see your point and I'm glad that you've raised it, though I think that the mods will need to be reasonably flexible with how they apply the rules as this is a very important subject that we Pentecostals and charismatics need to understand. If I am not around in a few days then you will have realised that the mods were maybe not as flexible as I had hoped!
Well, I have quite a few infractions so I need to be very careful.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ah, I see pointing out the absolute folly of being tossed about to and fro by the opinions of man is taking a swipe.
You said I quote

jiminpa said:
Just accepting everyone and being accepted by everyone like those guys do sounds like fun, since I really like being accepted. Some people really respect E.W Kenyon, Kenneth Hagan, Kenneth Copeland and Charles Capps, maybe they are the scholars I should put above the Bible.

So although you translated my comment about your lack of discernment to be about the people mentioned in your post. It was not.

It was the sentence in bold. I think you know better than putting any human being above the Word of God.

That's what I was talking about when I said you lacked discernment.

So let's not take this down a level, but you own your words that you wrote.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This was probably one of the more satisfying studies . . .
Before I jump over to the ICAL site I thought that the following comments by the NARzie Jonathan Hansen (YouTube) could be a good place to start.

“. . . The word apostle gets its root meanings from words that mean general or ambassador - God is restoring the office of apostle for the warfare of heaven on planet earth - Apostles aren't meant to dominate anything, but to have influence for God's values, morals and love in culture - If you want to be part of the New Jerusalem you need to accept the office of apostle, as God restores all things - . . .”​

The remarks by Hansen are typical of what comes from within the NARzie movement where Hansen has attempted to connect the Greek word for apostle with that of a ‘general or ambassador’. It seems that he may have either misunderstood an article in the abridged TDNT (p.69), or maybe he simply decided to shift its meaning a bit by trying to adapt aspects of the early classical Greek understanding of an apostolos in isolation, which is;

“In older Greek the term is a nautical one denoting a freighter or a naval force with no sense of initiative or authorization. Hence it does not become a term for envoy as in the NT, nor do the LXX, Josephus, or Philo form a link at this point to the distinctive and unusual NT usage”. [TDNT p.69]​

The authoritative BAGD (2nd Edit 1979) on page 89 does allow for the possibility of the classic term as also applying to the commander of such a fleet with, “prob. also its commander” where the BAGD also says that “in isolated cases it means ambassador, delegate, messenger” where it also says that it can refer to “an ordinary messenger”.

As he has apparently tried to establish a high degree of authority with the title apostle from within a poorly understood extrapilation from the classic Greek, which preceeded Paul by a number of centuries; any attempt on his part (or by other NARzies) to say that they have been Divinely commissioned by Christ to restore the Church in specific regions is simply ludicrous.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That sounds so interesting. I would love to see those pages and your notes if you could make them into a .pdf document or .gif image.

If you have them on your computer you can cut & paste them into Word and then save the document using 'Save As' and choose to save it as a .pdf document. I do it all the time.
Unfortunately copyright restrictions do apply though a non-text readable version could possibly fit the bill. I have done this on this site in recent months where I have provided a number of paragraphs of a Lexicon in jpeg/png format which also means that it cannot be scanned by external search engines, though I do need to be careful with even small amounts of copyrighted data.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately copyright restrictions do apply though a non-text readable version could possibly fit the bill. I have done this on this site in recent months where I have provided a number of paragraphs of a Lexicon in jpeg/png format which also means that it cannot be scanned by external search engines, though I do need to be careful with even small amounts of copyrighted data.
Of course I understand. I was hoping that you had handwritten notes in your own words.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Of course I understand. I was hoping that you had handwritten notes in your own words.
Okay, I see your point (this mere male does have his slow moments at times)! As I am in middle of thrashing out the various points, where time restraints can mean that this could take me a couple of weeks to make sure that I don't miss any important texts, then I am a little way off from finalising things. But the idea of summing it up on a PDF is a good idea which means that I can include some additional data and probably some online links as well; thanks for the suggestion.

In the meantime, what you could do is to go over to Google Books (link) which points to the TDNT with pages 67-71 (pages 72-73 are blanked) and pages 74-75 where you will find some of the material that I am using for our English a/Apostle; unfortunately the BAGD (and the newer BDAG) is not available online. If you have Win7 or newer, this means that you can cut and paste the graphics using "snipping tool" under Accessories and paste them into Word. I use a commercial product for this purpose called TechSmith Snagit which has some amazing copying and editing capabilities.

At the moment my main machine (which has most of my study programs installed) is still down so I am relying on my hard copy resources which probably allows me to spend a bit more time thinking over the material.

Upvote 0

catherine777

Researcher of NAR movement
Jul 13, 2006
Estonia
Visit site
✟8,495.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Holly Pivec is researched this topic deeply in her blog www.spiritoferror.org and written two books about it. I read them as i wanted to know what she says about NAR where i have been some time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Holly Pivec is researched this topic deeply in her blog www.spiritoferror.org and written two books about it. I read them as i wanted to know what she says about NAR where i have been some time.
Did you check the credentials on that site? The author does not disclose her own beliefs, but based on her resume it is a safe bet that she is a professional "Christian" gossip. Why does she not disclose her own beliefs? A quick browsing of her site makes that pretty clear, she just may be a rabid cessationist, and quite likely a very experienced and skillful liar. She lists working for the quite untruthful "Christian Research Journal," (which according to the Bible has no place in Christianity), in her credentials.

Again, the more I see who doesn't like the NAR the better they look.

So, what scripture are they violating?

Upvote 0

catherine777

Jul 13, 2006
Estonia
Visit site
✟8,495.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Tnx for making deep research in that holly pivec website, no i have not checked creditials of site only read certain posts in order to understand NAR end time teachings etc. From her books - i buyed both of them as ebook- she seems to believing Holy Spirit and those things in traditional pentecostalism which says that apostles today are like church planters. Maybe i have misunderstood her.

Concerning violating scriptures i personally do not know any passage what had been strangely intepreted. But from critics of NAR i have read about Eph 4:11-14 & 2:18-23 that this how NAR inteprets them is wrong and i disagree with critics of NAR. Because Eph 2:18-23 in original text comes out that present day church belongs to that building of temple of God where Christ is corner stone and apostolic and prophetic office foundation of the church - in past and in now same way.Or rather present day church is builded into same temple of God so to say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

catherine777

Jul 13, 2006
Estonia
Visit site
✟8,495.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've noticed a lot of name calling toward the NAR movement, but I haven't seen any substantive Biblical criticisms against the teachings of the movement, maybe a quilt by association with some of the fringe practices. What does the mainstream of the NAR movement teach or practice that is unbiblical?

I find it hard to see how anyone who spends the time and effort seeking God and studying and practicing the scriptures as I see the leading NAR groups doing could go so far as to be "abhorrent." I could see them ruffling the feathers of the religious.

I'd rather see someone guilty of trusting God too much, as if that's even possible, than not enough.
There is good article about name calling in NAR what i dod not find right now from this blog but another one too
http://www.spiritoferror.org/2010/01/brain-stoppers/317

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Because Eph 2:18-23 in original text comes out that present day church belongs to that building of temple of God where Christ is corner stone and apostolic and prophetic office foundation of the church - in past and in now same way.Or rather present day church is builded into same temple of God so to say.
This is why NARzie doctrine is deemed to be heretical as this passage is speaking of the Twelve (plus Paul) who are Apostles-of-Christ which is vastly different to the non-authoritative congregational apostle who is appointed only by the congregation that he is associated with. Any NARzie who tries to associate his "ministry" with those who are Apostles-of-Christ is moving into (or may have already passed over into) very dangerous ground before the Lord.

The passage can also be read as, "the Apostles-of-Christ who are also prophets". These apostles were appointed directly by Christ as they were also witnesses to his person and ministry. Unlike that of the congregational prophet, the Apostles-of-Christ were in fact the direct equivelant to the Old Testament Prophets.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is why NARzie doctrine is deemed to be heretical as this passage is speaking of the Twelve (plus Paul) who are Apostles-of-Christ which is vastly different to the non-authoritative congregational apostle who is appointed only by the congregation that he is associated with. Any NARzie who tries to associate his "ministry" with those who are Apostles-of-Christ is moving into (or may have already passed over into) very dangerous ground before the Lord.

The passage can also be read as, "the Apostles-of-Christ who are also prophets". These apostles were appointed directly by Christ as they were also witnesses to his person and ministry. Unlike that of the congregational prophet, the Apostles-of-Christ were in fact the direct equivelant to the Old Testament Prophets.
Do you have scripture that says that the function of an apostle is different for the current body than it was at that time, or are we to just take your word for it?

I know, I'm not pliable enough here, but I have a hard time with anyone who cites a scripture to support their pet doctrine, and then has to tell us what that scripture actually means because the scripture doesn't actually say what the person demands it to say.

I try to apply that to everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: catherine777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If there was one word that couldn't be used on these forums, "heretical" is the one I would select.
The problem is that even if you PC out the word "heretical" the accusations are still being hurled without any scriptural substance. Again, the most substantive criticism is that the movement doesn't line up with the respected traditions, and is heavily criticized by a bunch of scholars who really do actively oppose the teachings of scripture.

Upvote 0

catherine777

Jul 13, 2006
Estonia
Visit site
✟8,495.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Thank you for your comment. The office of apostle and prophet is two separate government office.
Anyway we are part of His temple which is not still complete as all five offices are not restored fully yet. This ongoing growth is nicely by one this passage commentator:

We want to see two more things as we finish out the temple that we are in Christ Jesus. Fourth, there is the growth of the temple. I want us to see that in verse 21: "in whom the whole building, being fitted together is growing into a holy temple in the Lord." Verse 21 says that it is growing. That term "is growing" is the wordauxano. Now that word is very interesting, and I want you to understand it. It is something that man cannot do. Whenever you talk about church growth, the word in Greek that means to grow is something that a man cannot do. It is what God alone can do. God is causing it to grow. Now, He is using living stones as we will see later on, but it is God who gives the growth. It is God who causes the growth of the temple. It is in the present tense which means it is going on right now. The church, the living temple of God, is in the development stage.

What does that mean? It means that it is not finished yet. It means there is still room in the kingdom. There is still room in the family. There is still room in the temple. It is not finished yet. You see, the word "growing" means it is increasing. It is being added to consistently. Oh, the Gentiles of Ephesus that Paul was writing to, were just a small speck in the gigantic building that God was making here on this earth, that spiritual dwelling, that spiritual house that He wanted to live in. When the last Gentile is brought in, then God is going to turn His attention towards Israel. Right now, the Gentiles are coming in and coming in and coming in. That is what he is trying to tell the church at Ephesus: You can come in now. The building is still under development."
You can see it here
http://www.preceptaustin.org/new_page_15.htm

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Do you have scripture that says that the function of an apostle is different for the current body than it was at that time, or are we to just take your word for it?

I know, I'm not pliable enough here, but I have a hard time with anyone who cites a scripture to support their pet doctrine, and then has to tell us what that scripture actually means because the scripture doesn't actually say what the person demands it to say.

I try to apply that to everything.
Part 1 of 2 (There is a 10,000 character limitation to a post)

Whoa...hold your horses! Where in the world have I ever suggested, or even hinted that the role of the contemporary congregational apostle is any different to that of the congregational apostle of the first century?

I trust that you have read the entirety of my last post, which made it absolutely clear, that I see no difference whatsoever between the congregational apostle (and prophet) of today's church with that of the first century.

This should be further evidenced by the fact that with my five years on this forum that I am probably the only person who hammers away with 1Cor 12:28 where Paul tells us that "the Father has established within the (local) church 8 congregational Offices which are, apostles, prophets, teachers, powers, healings, guidance, helps, tongues".

But there is a caveat in place in that the Scriptures do not afford any additional authority to the role of the congregational prophet! Now, if any individual ministry wishes to say that they have an apostolic ministry where their hearts desire is to start new churches within a particular region, then I am more than fine with this; in fact this should be encouraged by all and those persons who undertake this type of ministry should be given the appropriate honour.

Now, when it comes to any NARzie style ministry who tries to connect their 'ministry' with that of Eph 2:20, then they fully deserve to be ostracized by us all, as they’re claiming a right that they are not entitled to. If they also claim that as they are an ‘apostle’ that this also gives them some form of authority over others, where the Office of the apostle contains some form of inherent authority, where it is supposed to be above the other 8 Congregational Offices then such an idea stems entirely from a vivid imagination, or maybe from an over-realised sense of self worth where the proponent is placing far too much weight on their own publicity.

This had been the position of the AoG (USA) since the introduction of the heretical Latter-Rain movement that began to infect the Church back in 1948. In fact the AoG in the USA now rejects outright that the Offices of the apostle and prophet exist outside of the early church; but they do recognize that people still perform these roles in today's church, which in my view is a contradiction in terms but I can understand their desire to disassociate themselves from the Latter-Rain and the NARzie movements. It’s interesting in that the AoG (Australia) recognise both the Office of the apostle and prophet which stands in contrast to their US counterparts; I have no idea about how the other National AoG bodies feel about these two Offices.

If you want any evidence for what I have said without the need to read the Scriptures, then I will probably be on safe ground by saying that all you need to do is to pick up the first peer-reviewed commentary that you come across that talks about the role of the a/Apostle; but of course, as you say, I can light heartedly reply by saying that these are only the views of men who are apparently basing their opinions on human tradition, where the NARzie super-Apostles have the advantage in that they have some form of extra-biblical revelation (or links to heaven) which the rest of us poor mortals are unable to obtain.

If anything, any NARzie who tries to falsely link his 'ministry' to that of Eph 2:20 is not so much committing heresy but possibly blasphemy, as he is trying to say that he has been appointed by Christ to the Church in the same manner as the Twelve and Paul; from what my Scriptures tell me in 2 Cor 11 and particularly with verses 12 & 13, that there are “those who want an opportunity to be considered equal to us in the things that they boast about. For such men are false apostles, deceitful workman, masquerading as Apostles-of-Christ”.

Now Paul is not saying that they are necessarily false apostles, but that they are false Apostles-of-Christ, the two are not one and the same. This means that there will be those individuals who are by their temperament are rightfully apostles, but where these same individuals will try and push the threshold by elevating themselves to be Apostles-of-Christ.

For the time after the last Apostle-of-Christ died, which would have been John, the implication would be that this particular Office ended with Paul (thought the Twelve and Paul were commissioned and not given an Office), but that there are will be those whose egos (and “deceit”) is so strong that they will even try to elevate themselves to the rank of Paul where they will try to impose themselves onto the church as Apostles-of-Christ, which is nothing less than blasphemy let alone a heresy.

[The following is a daft of a future document. This draft might be a bit hard to read for some but the future expanded PDF version will be easier to read.]
  • How do the Greek Scriptures speak of the apostle – a few preliminaries
One of the interesting things that I find about any study into a subject I feel that I know fairly well, is with how something may jump up at me for the first time, which is what has occurred with how the English translations employ our English apostle to represent the Greek Scriptures.

Does an apostle equate to “someone who is sent” or “a messenger”?
Most of us would probably accept the populist definition of an apostle as being ‘someone who has been sent’ or ‘who is a messenger’ (as I did) but what I discovered is that this meaning is not something that is associated with the Greek apostolos (GK693/SC652) which we translate into our English a/Apostle. The Greek word which best reflects “someone who is sent” is pempo (GK4287/SC3992) which is used 79 times in the Greek NT: [GK = Goodrick/Kohlenberger number, SC = Strong’s

Matt 2:8 Then he sent them to Bethlehem
Matt 11:2 he sent his disciples to ask him [John the Baptist sent his disciples in his name.]
Matt 14:10 So he sent and had John beheaded
Matt 22:7 The king was furious! He sent his troops and destroyed
Mark 5:12 “Send us to the pigs
Luke 4:26; 7:6,10,19; 15:15; 16:24,27; 20:11,12,13
John 1:22, 33; 4:34; 5:23, 24, 30, 37; 6:38,39,44; 7:16,18,28,33; 8:16,18,26,29; 9:4; 12:44,45,49; 13:16,20; 14:24,26; 15:21,26; 16:5,7; 20:21
Acts 10:5,32,33; 11:29; 15:22,25; 19:31; 20:17; 23:30; 23:25,27
Rom 8:3 God by sending his own Son [God + sending = apostolos. God is the one who commissions.]
1Cor 4:17 For this reason I have sent to you Timothy [Paul has sent = Timothy working under Paul’s commissioning.]
1Cor 16:3 to the men you approve and send them with your gift
2Cor 9:3 But I am sending these brothers
Eph 6:22 I am sending him to you for this very purpose
Php 2:19,23,25,28; 4:16
Col 4:8 I am sending him to you for the express purpose
1Thes 3:2,5
2Thes 2:11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion
Tit 3:12 As soon as I send Artemas
1Pet 2:14 who are sent by him to punish
Rev 1:11; 11:10; 14:15,18; 22:16​

It was rightfully pointed out by the TDNT (Theological Dictionary of the New Testament pp.67-75) on page 70;
“The NT contains no trace of the common nonbiblical use for the act of sending or, figuratively, the object. Always signified is the person sent with full authority. The Greek gives only the form, the Hebrew the content.”​

Apostole (GK692/SC651) is used 4 times where the NIV2 employs;
Acts 1:25 to take over this apostolic ministry (ἀποστολῆς) n.gsf
Rom 1:5 Through him we have received grace and apostleship (ἀποστολὴν) n.asf
1Cor 9:2 Am I not an apostle? (ἀπόστολοσ) n.nsm
Gal 2:8 For God who was at work in Peter as an apostle (ἀποστολὴν) n.asf​

What Greek word is used for an a/Apostle
As was mentioned above, the Greek word that is employed for “someone who is sent” or who “is a messenger” was the Greek word pempo where this word can be employed to refer to anyone who was sent for any reason to perform any task imaginable. When the Scriptures speak of those who are a/Apostles, the Greek word apostolos (GK693/SC652) is employed, where it can refer to both the Apostle-of-Christ or to a congregational apostle (where the congregational apostle is equivalent to the contemporary church planter or a missionary who is directly involved in establishing new churches).

Addition: When the title a/Apostle is being employed, it will have either a direct reference, or the connotation that the person who is an a/Apostle has been either authorised (a) or commissioned (A) to perform a task. The Greek word apostolos when used within earlier classic Greek, as will be indicated within the Liddel-Scott (Classic Greek Lexicon) or with Thayers (1832) Lexicon, will rightfully suggest that "a sending" or "sending out" is the meaning in classical Greek, but this is never the case within the NT.

Edit: Last paragraph insert hours after the original post.
Edit: typo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Part 2 of 2 (There is a 10,000 character limitation to a post)

Eph 4 so called "Five-fold Ministries"

Since at least the introduction of the recalcitrant Latter-Rain movement within Canada in 1948, they popularised the notion that the five roles in Eph 4:11-13 were supposed to be the leaders of the Church, where these supposed “Five-fold ministries” were the covering for the local congregation; where the more recent NARzie movement has altered this to suggest that the Eph 4 apostles and prophets were supposed to be in charge of various physical regions of the Church; this is something that Rome employed centuries earlier and we all should know how badly this worked for the church.

The Apostles-of-Christ

The following are Scriptures that relate to the Apostles-of-Christ who are the Twelve along with Paul; these Scriptures do not relate to the local congregational apostle.

Rom 1:1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God--
Rom 11:13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry
1 Cor 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,
1 Cor 9:1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord?
1 Cor 9:2 Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
2 Cor 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
2 Cor 12:12 I persevered in demonstrating among you the marks of a true apostle, including signs, wonders and miracles.
Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle--sent (NIG) not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead-- or [not GK4024 from men nor GK4028 through GK1328 man] Παῦλος ἀπόστολος οὐκ ἀπ’ ἀνθρώπων
Gal 2:8 For God, who was at work in Peter as an apostle to the circumcised, was also at work in me as an apostle to the Gentiles.
Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
Eph 2:20 on the foundation of the apostles and prophets
Eph 3:5 by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets
Col 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
1 Thes 2:6 We were not looking for praise from people, not from you or anyone else, even though as apostles of Christ we could have asserted our authority.
1 Tim 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,
1 Tim 2:7 And for this purpose I was appointed GK5502 a herald GK3061 and an apostle GK693 --I am telling the truth, I am not lying--and a true and faithful teacher GK1437 of the Gentiles.
2 Tim 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, in keeping with the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,
2 Tim 1:11 And of this gospel I was appointed GK5502 a herald GK3061 and an apostle GK693 and a teacher GK1437.
Titus 1:1 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ to further the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness--
1 Pet 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,
2 Pet 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,

Is the Role of an Apostle-of-Christ an Office or a Commission?

If the role of an Apostle-of-Christ is a Congregational Office, where the Office/function of an apostle is found in 1Cor 12:28 then the role of an Apostle-of-Christ is something that will continue up until the Lord returns. If it is a commission, where it is Christ who directly commissions someone, such as with the Eleven & Matthias along with Paul, then this commissioning will pass with the death of the last Apostle-of-Christ.

As the requirement for an Apostle-of-Christ was that he had to be a witness to the person and resurrection of Jesus Christ (Acts 1:22,23) and that he was directly appointed/commissioned by Christ then the commissioning stopped with Paul. This means that any ongoing contemporary connection with Eph 2:20 has no basis within the Scriptures.

[The paragraph that was previously here has been moved to its correct location in the following section.]

Eph 4 so called, "Five-fold ministries"

Since at least the introduction of the recalcitrant Latter-Rain movement within Canada in 1948, they popularised the notion that the five roles in Eph 4:11-13 were supposed to be the leaders of the Church, where these supposed “Five-fold ministries” were the covering for the local congregation; where the more recent NARzie movement has altered this to suggest that the Eph 4 apostles and prophets were supposed to be in charge of various physical regions of the Church; this is something that Rome employed centuries earlier and we all should know how badly this worked for the church.
--
The odd thing about this passage is that Jesus never referrerd to these five roles in particular as being Offices, though the congregational apostles, prophets and teachers certainly are (as per 1Cor 12:28), whereas the evangelist and shepherds (aka, pastors) are not. Neither does Jesus or Paul make any connection with these roles to authority but merely that they are there for training purposes, whereas Paul has already told us in 1Cor 12:28 that the Father has established 8 Congregational Offices for the church. Even here, Paul does not say that these roles are directly equated to the local governing elders of each congregation, but we would certainly hope to see these 8 Offices being spread across those who are Elders.
--
Edit: The last paragraph was accidently placed in the wrong spot after I was trying to cut-and-paste my post to meet the 10,000 character limit.

Edit: Added in "(as per 1Cor 12:28)" in last paragraph to qualify the Offices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your comment. The office of apostle and prophet is two separate government office.
That's certainly true and this is shown in 1Cor 12:28; but they are not directly equated to church government as anyone can be a prophet.

When it comes to Eph 4:20, where Paul speaks of those who are "Apostles and prophets" we have three options;
  1. Those who are Apostles-of-Christ and who are also Prophets.
  2. Those who are Apostles-of-Christ along with the OT Prophets
  3. Those who are Apostles-of-Christ along with those who are congregational prophets
There is a fourth option where Paul could be referring to the congregational apostle and the congregational prophet but this is not an option that is taken all that seriously; though it could be an option that is pushed by the NARzie proponents.

Theologically speaking, the first two options are considered possible and both are just as valid as the other but no definite conclusion can be made; though I would be inclined to lean to the first option which means that both roles are held by one individual, or at least with the Twelve and Paul.

Edit: Made a qualification to church government.

Last edited:
Upvote 0