Nested Hierarchy Hypothesis

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So the hips, legs, ribcage, arm and shoulder orientation would not make any sense if evolution were true? These are all features that occur in modern humans but if a reptile had these features it would falsify our current understanding of evolution correct?

Yes because we know how we evolved and we know of no reptiles that have evolved features that are similar in any way at all. We have a record of our evolution. Reptile evolution, which is also fairly well understood, has different structures. It would be the appearance of a "New Kind" with no predecessors. Exactly what creationism predicts and the exact opposite of what we observe.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Yes because we know how we evolved and we know of no reptiles that have evolved features that are similar in any way at all. We have a record of our evolution. Reptile evolution, which is also fairly well understood, has different structures. It would be the appearance of a "New Kind" with no predecessors. Exactly what creationism predicts and the exact opposite of what we observe.

So you agree that this would be an obvious falsification of the TOE?

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another loaded question? Theories are like computer programs they only do what man wants them to do. If man totally refuses to consider ID for example and living creatures are truly ID then the theory will never get to the truth.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your position, but if you're supporting ID then clades are still valid. From Behe's perspective, evolution is perfectly valid except that certain features sprung into existence apart from it. Common ancestry still holds in ID.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your position, but if you're supporting ID then clades are still valid. From Behe's perspective, evolution is perfectly valid except that certain features sprung into existence apart from it. Common ancestry still holds in ID.
Some in ID believes in universal common descent like Behe while others don't. DI isn't as hostile to those who have doubts over UCD.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some in ID believes in universal common descent like Behe while others don't. DI isn't as hostile to those who have doubts over UCD.

Now I'm doubly confused: Without common descent, how is ID different from OEC?

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I could have sworn I had already posted this, but I guess i didn't.

Short version:
Reptiles might not be a phylogenetic grouping, but it can still be used in the common vernacular. it's similar to the term "fish" in that regard.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
I could have sworn I had already posted this, but I guess i didn't.

Short version:
Reptiles might not be a phylogenetic grouping, but it can still be used in the common vernacular. it's similar to the term "fish" in that regard.

Wait a second. Are you saying those things in the OP are fish?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums