it is meant for a temporary answer...
I am still without power due to "IKE'
and am doing this from a locaton
where I do not have much time to
deal in length on it...

the antichrist builds first the revived Grecian
empire...
Nimrod, a 'mighty one' has had his name
changed due to the confusion of languages...
and is known by various names in history...
as seus, jupiter, beelzebub, moloch,
baal, belial, tammuz.... etc
all the same character...

his part angel, part human spirit is the
demonic power that will inhabit the antichrist...

more later...
have to go now...

for those of faith...
pray my power gets on soon, it has been
days without it...

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
<snip>Ephesians 6:12 shows different levels of evil spirits.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against: principalities (fallen arch angels) powers (fallen angels) rulers of the darkness of this world (half-angelic, half human spirits)
wicked spirits in the heavenlies... (pre- adamite human spirits of a creation before Adam)."<snip>
- J.D.L. aka "murjahel"[/c]
To which I replied...
<sninp>
There is no clear delineation in scripture, even when we add in the extra Old Testament books, of the organizational heirarchy of angels holy and fallen and the realm of the demonic. All attempts to figure out those heirarchies are speculation. When speculating, we should begin by stating, "my opinion is..." or "I think", etc<snip>
And...
I believe the Book of Enoch is true.

I have read it some amount of times. As yet a concrete picture of such a heirarchy eludes me.

Please, GMP, chapters and verses would be most helpful. I am amenable to a change of mind, but not without chapters and verses.

I don't consider Enoch non-canonical in the least.
GMP's rebuke was felt when he posted...
You dont see a Hierarchy here?

6 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters. 2And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: "Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men and beget us children."
3And Semjâzâ, who was their leader, said unto them: "I fear ye will not indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin."
4And they all answered him and said: "Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations not to abandon this plan but to do this thing."
5Then sware they all together and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. 6And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it.
7And these are the names of their leaders: Samîazâz, their leader, Arâkîba, Râmêêl, Kôkabîêl, Tâmîêl, Râmîêl, Dânêl, Êzêqêêl, Barâqîjal, Asâêl, Armârôs, Batârêl, Anânêl, Zaqîêl, Samsâpêêl, Satarêl, Tûrêl, Jômjâêl, Sariêl. 8These are their chiefs of tens.
To which I reply...

No. I do not see the heirarchy posted by Ajax on behalf of Murjahel.

The word "archangel" found in the Bible implies an heirarchy; I believe that. Enoch 6 shows a heirarchy; I accept that.

The picture that emerges is murky at best. A concrete picture of this heirarchy is nowhere found in the Bible or any Bible.

This heirarchy:
Someone quoting Murjahel said:
Principalities = fallen archangels
Powers = fallen angels
Rulers of the darkness of this world = half-angelic, half human spirits
Wicked spirits in the heavenlies = pre-Adamite human spirits of a creation before Adam
...is problematic to say the least, is not found in the Book of Enoch or any other biblical books.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note:

After examining Ajax's quotes of Murjahel's writings I've concluded Murjahel is using "The Ascension (or Martyrdom) of Isaiah" and "The Testament of Solomon" and other books which have not been included in any historical canons of the Church, (unlike Enoch and Jubilees).

I defend your rights to have opinions, but respectfully request the etiquette of all posters to state their sources and not to quote sources without citing their attributions. To give one's opinion as "facts", or to quote ancient writings without indicating it with "quote marks" and by not revealing the book that is being used as an authority is unethical, in my opinion, in a colaborative forum such as this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No. I do not see the heirarchy posted by Ajax on behalf of Murjahel.

The word "archangel" found in the Bible implies an heirarchy; I believe that Enoch 6 shows a heirarchy; I accept that.

The picture that emerges is murky at best. A concrete picture of this heirarchy is nowhere found in the Bible or any Bible.

This heirarchy:...is problematic to say the least, is not found in the Book of Enoch or any other biblical books.

Enoch tells of classes of angels,
and they correspond to the Bible's
divisions...

we know from the Bible that there are
fallen angels, who still have their angelic bodies...

and we know that angels committed fornication,
and with 'daughters of men' brought into being
a race of giants, whose spirits exist now
as part angel, part human...
and who can inhabit bodies...

Ephesians talks about 4 groups....

so...
if that is all you knew,
and did not know any more...
it is fine to know only that...

if that is satisfying to you....
and digging deeper is not desired...
it is fine with me...

I deal and have over the years
dealt with many in witchcraft,
satanism, etc...
and knowing as much as I can on the workings,
and identities of evil creatures
helps me much...

some are not ministering in that kind of forum,
and need only some basics...
and that is fine...
for them...

Teh Apoc of Isaiah, was part of the Bible,
an additional part to Kings,
and was removed by the Jewish people after
Jesus came...

it is referred to in Scripture....

so... for me to use verses from Enoch and
that book, I do not apologize...
the removers should be apologizing...
LOL

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Enoch tells of classes of angels,

and they correspond to the Bible's
divisions...

we know from the Bible that there are
fallen angels, who still have their angelic bodies...

and we know that angels committed fornication,
and with 'daughters of men' brought into being
a race of giants, whose spirits exist now
as part angel, part human...
and who can inhabit bodies...

Ephesians talks about 4 groups....

so...
if that is all you knew,
and did not know any more...
it is fine to know only that...

if that is satisfying to you....
and digging deeper is not desired...
it is fine with me...

I deal and have over the years
dealt with many in witchcraft,
satanism, etc...
and knowing as much as I can on the workings,
and identities of evil creatures
helps me much...

some are not ministering in that kind of forum,
and need only some basics...
and that is fine...
for them...​

Teh Apoc of Isaiah, was part of the Bible,
an additional part to Kings,
and was removed by the Jewish people after
Jesus came...

it is referred to in Scripture....

so... for me to use verses from Enoch and
that book, I do not apologize...
the removers should be apologizing...
LOL
Okay, so there are "groups". The existence of those groups does not demonstrate lines of authority as one would find in a heirarchy. In fact, there is indication in Enoch that one of the problems which arose from the advent of the Watcher offspring is they were not controlled by their fathers.

Enoch states and Jubilees corroborates the offspring of the Watchers began 120 years before the flood to slay one another. Often it is stated the flood detroyed the Nephilim; though it is true the flood cleansed the earth of the works of the Nephilim, the Nephilim detroyed each other over the course of 120 years before the flood, and then the flood came.

Enoch 10:12, And when their sons have slain one another, and they have seen the destruction of their beloved ones, bind them fast for seventy generations in the valleys of the earth, till the day of their judgement and of their consummation, till the judgement that is for ever and ever is consummated.

The Watchers who went from Watchers to voyeurs to sinners were judged by being forced to watch the destruction of their children while being helpless to stop their warfare.

I agree there are varieties of creatures, there are groups, no clear picture of the organizational structure of their heirarchy is revealed in scripture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, if you are going to present a persuasive exposition of Enoch's book, and seek to do so by introducing information that comes from books like Testament of Solomon, the Talmud and post-Talmud Jewish literature, don't you think you should justify the use of the Testament of Solomon et al as valid sources of information before proceeding?

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I was reading a post by someone posting for Murjahel in this thread and had my eyes opened to the many occurances of the term "Belial" in the scriptures.

As it turns out only the KJV and Douay-Rheims preserve the MANY references in the O.T. to "Belial".

Modern translations give the interpretive meaning of this word rather than preserving it as a pronoun. A similar practice would be to take every refence to Jerusalem in the Bible and translate it "city of peace", but that would be lame dontcha think? Reminds me of something I read about the Sadducees balking about the use of proper names for angels and demons in the books outside the Torah.

For the past few months I have been reading the Dead Sea Scrolls in which the title "Belial" surfaces repeatedly. It struck me as weird and I had often wondered if that were sectarian twist in those books. However, as it turns out the O.T. is rife with the term and modern translators of the O.T. may be more sectarian than the writers of the DSS!

Thank you for that eye-opener, Murjahel.

Upvote 0

The_Joker

Sep 14, 2008
✟245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The nature of his birth is often missed.
Note what the Scriptures show us:
Genesis 10:7-9
"And the sons of Cush;
Seba and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raaman,
and Sabtechah, and the sons of Raamah; Sheba and Dedan.
And Cush begat Nimrod;
he began to be a mighty one (Heb. "gibbore" = mighty one, used of the giants born to women seduced by a fallen angel) in the earth.
He was a mighty (gibbore) hunter before the Lord
(in the presence and awareness of the Lord);
wherefore it is said,
Even as Nimrod the mighty (gibbore) hunter before the Lord
(in the presence and awareness of the Lord)."
The Scriptures tell us that the angels tried this fornication again
after the flood,
but here we see who one of the first ones
to be born of this sinful union of angels and women of the earth...
Note in the "sons of Cush", there are five listed...
and then it says that "Cush begat Nimrod".

Let us explore this. The proof that Nimrod was a giant is because of the word "gibbore" used many times. Where else is the word gibbore used? Using a Hebrew Lexicon, and confirming that the words elsewhere were of the same gibbore, my computer found 152 other places where that particular word was used. I thought at first, "must be alot of giants", but here is the truth of the matter:

De 10:17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

The first one I found was in relation to God. Is God a nephillium? No, of course not. This suggests then that the word can be used to describe someone with awesome power. A "mighty" God, or a mighty King on Earth.

Jud 6:12 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him, and said unto him, The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.

I found another one, this one not speaking of God, but of a man, a "mighty man of valour", gibbowr, as you would point out.

Jos 6:2 And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valour.

Were there really so many giants in those days? There are many many more uses of this word, and all uses suggest a meaning not indicating giantism, but of greatness, of power,
of "might. It is more logical to conclude that Nimrod was a mighty man and a mighty hunter rather than a giant.

Moving on, starting another post since this one is now formatted weird.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The_Joker

Sep 14, 2008
✟245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Note in the "sons of Cush", there are five listed...
and then it says that "Cush begat Nimrod".
The Hebrew word for "begat" is "yalad", and means "deliver".
As a midwife would deliver a child
without being the conceiver of such child,
so Cush delivered this child from his wife.

Okay, this time let us examine yalad. Apparently, because the word yalad was used, it must mean that Nimrod was not really the son of Cush. "As a midwife delivers a child" he writes. Let's see if this is so:

Ge 4:1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

The word yalad here was translated bare. Eve directly gave birth to Cain.

Ge 5:6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:

The word yalad was translated begat this time, and Seth directly begat Enos. He didn't adopt him.

Ge 5:32 And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Appears the word begat is used when speaking of Fathers and sons, while bare is used when women are giving birth. Noah didn't "deliver" these men as a "midwife" might for a woman. He is the Father.

1Sa 1:20 Wherefore it came to pass, when the time was come about after Hannah had conceived, that she bare a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, Because I have asked him of the LORD.

The same as before. In total, that word was used roughly 403 times, and it appears the only word for begat is yalad. And from what I read of all the different examples of yalad, none of it would be relevant to the point being made. So Cush begat Nimrod, so what? Alot of people begat children. My mother and father yalad'd me! You further made it seem as if there was some significance in Nimrod being the only one to be "begat" while the other sons were simply listed. That is not proof of anything. It is more logical to conclude this was done because Nimrod was a son of note and not for any other reason. The way the scripture is written supports this, and anyone who reads it should easily acknowledge this.

This was a different wife than the mother of Cush's other sons.
It was Rhea (Damkina), that he took to wife in his old age...
unaware that she was half human, half angelic.
She later was impregnated by one of the fallen angels named Ea...
The Scripture is trying to make clear that Nimrod was a 'gibbore',
but our translation loses much meaning...
Three times in the next several verses,
the word "mighty" (gibbore) meaning "mighty one"
and used to refer to the gigantic off-spring of angels is employed.
Nimrod, ruled the earth for 185 years (Jasher 27:16)...

Was all of this in the book of Jasher? For one, this book isn't cannon. Reading the Wikipedia file on it it appears there is much reason to doubt it. Just because it is called Jasher does not mean it is Jasher. I'm reading through it right now particularly the parts regarding Nimrod... BTW, the clothes of Adam made Nimrod "mighty"? It says "And Nimrod became strong when he put on the garments". Does this mean that those clothes caused giantism? If your Jasher is a book that belongs in the Bible, it contradicts your theories regarding Nimrod being a mighty giant. After all, a giant has might in himself, he doesn't become strong only after putting on magical garments from Adam. Reading further, I still fail to see any reference of Nimrod as a giant, even in this book of Jasher, nor is there anything regarding Rhea who was apparently a nephilium. Where are these other references made? (Edit: Nevermind, you were speaking of non-Biblical works.)

I think the further down I get the more it seems that much of this theology on belial is based on assumption. The bible speaks of "children of Belial". The learned Matthew Henry says that it signifies men who would "bear no yoke", who would not be disciplined, who would not obey the Lord God. Reading through the scriptures, this term is used to refer to men who are worthless, wicked, idolaters... But never used to mean that they are actually nephilium, children of an actual Belial. It is used much like the Jews used Beelzebub in the NT against Jesus. A name that signifies evil, but doesn't necessarily relate to an actual living demon. They did not believe that Jesus used the power of an actual Demon named Beezle, they simply believed he was using the power of a devil. The name of a hated god can easily be used to refer to Satan himself, or to something evil and filthy, but might not be actual proof of the existence of a demon. "What concord hath Christ with Belial?" does not suggest an actual belial. He could have put the name of Apollo in there, or Zeus, and it would not have lost its meaning. And all of this begs an even further question. Where is Satan in all of this? Why does this Belial get all the glory? Sure, when you put everything together this story of Belial can seem interesting and realistic... However, when really looked into it appears to be much theology about nothing.

"He dwelt in the heart of Manasseh" (Apoc. of Isaiah 9:11),
he also inhabited Alexander the Great (according to the prophecy of Daniel).

According to the prophecy of Daniel? Where exactly? I read chapter 8 of Daniel, the prophecy of the 4 kingdoms and such, and saw no reference to possession or Belial. Not even a vague reference, like a particular animal or vision, that could be tied into a possession.

Daniel 5:10-11
"...there shall rise unto you from the tribe of Judah and of Levi,
the salvation (Yeshua) of the Lord,
and He shall make war against Belial"

I had to check about a dozen times to make sure I was looking at the correct Daniel Chapter 5 verses 10 and 11. Mine reads:

10Now the queen by reason of the words of the king and his lords came into the banquet house: and the queen spake and said, O king, live for ever: let not thy thoughts trouble thee, nor let thy countenance be changed:
11There is a man in thy kingdom, in whom is the spirit of the holy gods; and in the days of thy father light and understanding and wisdom, like the wisdom of the gods, was found in him; whom the king Nebuchadnezzar thy father, the king, I say, thy father, made master of the magicians, astrologers, Chaldeans, and soothsayers;

Where did you get that quote? I searched for "war Belial" and found nothing in my KJV Bible. Neither did I find a quote with Judah-Levi and salvation in it. Or even Judah and Levi that came out quite like the sentence you placed here.

Apoc. of Isa. 10:2
"Belial, the evil demon who rules this age since its inception
as the king of demons, will come from his place (the abyss)
and inhabit the likeness of man, and dwell in a lawless king..."

Okay, that's a rather direct reference. All other scriptures were simply used to assert something they didn't say. Their interpretation hinges on this one scripture. Unfortunately, I could not find the book online for me to read, nor anything discussing the authenticity of this book. I might have gotten the Apoc wrong, I think I should try apocalypse, I was trying Apocrypha. I'll try again tomorrow night after work. Probably is apocalypse, stupid me, putting in Apocrypha!

and "he that opposes and exalteth himself against all that is called God..."

Now we have another contradiction. Wouldn't that be Lucifer and not Belial? Is Lucifer really Nimrod?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so there are "groups". The existence of those groups does not demonstrate lines of authority as one would find in a heirarchy.
I agree there are varieties of creatures, there are groups, no clear picture of the organizational structure of their heirarchy is revealed in scripture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, if you are going to present a persuasive exposition of Enoch's book, and seek to do so by introducing information that comes from books like Testament of Solomon, the Talmud and post-Talmud Jewish literature, don't you think you should justify the use of the Testament of Solomon et al as valid sources of information before proceeding?
You can believe that....
and it is your choice...
I find sufficient evidence...
and to deny it would make much of Scripture
less comprehendable...

as far as presenting information on various
other books...
I do have a preface that shows many books
that I find non harmonious with Scripture,
and the ones that I find harmonious with Scripture,
I have done books on to verify them,
show commentary on them...

you have seen only a small portion of what
I have written on these subjects...

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I was reading a post by someone posting for Murjahel in this thread and had my eyes opened to the many occurances of the term "Belial" in the scriptures.

As it turns out only the KJV and Douay-Rheims preserve the MANY references in the O.T. to "Belial".

Modern translations give the interpretive meaning of this word rather than preserving it as a pronoun. A similar practice would be to take every refence to Jerusalem in the Bible and translate it "city of peace", but that would be lame dontcha think? Reminds me of something I read about the Sadducees balking about the use of proper names for angels and demons in the books outside the Torah.

For the past few months I have been reading the Dead Sea Scrolls in which the title "Belial" surfaces repeatedly. It struck me as weird and I had often wondered if that were sectarian twist in those books. However, as it turns out the O.T. is rife with the term and modern translators of the O.T. may be more sectarian than the writers of the DSS!

Thank you for that eye-opener, Murjahel.

many words have been translated by
meaning rather than by a name...
in Enoch,
you see seven fallen angels in the abyss
even before the fall of angels at flood time...

who were these...
I set out in Scripture to find their names...
and found one in Revelation...
from that one, looking for that same
name translated in the O.T. not as a name...
I found all seven referred to in Scripture...

it was a very fun search...
but finding the one referred to in Rev
and finding it linked to 'another' in the O.T.
and from that one to 'another'... etc...

belial gets confusing a bit,
for he started before the tower of babel...
and so at the tower of babel confusion of languages..
that name becomes many...
each language had a name for that one...
zeus, jupiter, moloch, baal, beelzebub,
etc...
and each nation worshipped him as their particular god...

so the history of belial can be compared with
the history of the various cultures,
comparing similarities in its ancient origin...

that study helps in understanding the
info in the Bible...
as to what it is speaking of...

what teh world considers now
just 'myth'... had an origin in fact...
with some added later that was not fact...
but the similarities in all these stories show
a common beginning for them...

and a part human, part angelic nephilim
was the origin of belial...
and worship of him under many names
has continued...
and in the tribulation, when his spirit inhabits
the antichrist, a revival of worship of him
will ensue...

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You can believe that....

and it is your choice...
I find sufficient evidence...
and to deny it would make much of Scripture
less comprehendable...

as far as presenting information on various
other books...
I do have a preface that shows many books
that I find non harmonious with Scripture,
and the ones that I find harmonious with Scripture,
I have done books on to verify them,
show commentary on them...

you have seen only a small portion of what

I have written on these subjects...
Before I accepted any information which was unique to Enoch as fact, I spent quite a long time trying to find whether the book should be deemed authetically the same as the one quoted in the Bible. Once that objection was knocked down and once I became convinced it was the authentic words of Enoch, it was a short step to accepting it as one of the books of the Church's Bible. It has always been on some orthodox (small "o") communion's list of Biblical books.

In keeping with that process, I cannot simply accept the "Testament of Solomon" and the plethora of other books your promoting without a similar vetting process. Folks should not automatically do that sort of thing.

It seems to me, you owe it to your readers to reveal just why you feel this-or-that book was found to be reliable by you. You need to walk people through the rationalization process. You cannot expect folks to be persuaded that since you quote it, it must be true.

I'm a bit surprised by the methodology your using. I thought your book would be a straight commentary on the Book of Enoch, but rather it seems to be a commentary and synthesis of lots of books, and more didactic than commentary. In itself, that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I believe you are a sincere person and are not malicious at all but the title of your book "Commentary on the Book of Enoch" seems to be a misnomer to me.

By the way, a cursory reading of the Testament of Solomon has given me the distinct impression it is a book which endorses "white" magic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
<snip>Outside of searching unsuccessfully for Jude 1:15, which today was right under my nose within seconds of searching on the web, the more overriding concern for me about it was whether it was authentically the writing of Enoch himself. Jude does not simply allude to a writing called Enoch, but to Enoch in the seventh generation from Adam. In other words, he is talking about the Enoch referred to in the beginning of Genesis and not to a Pseudo-Enoch from 200 B.C. If we accept that the book was written in 200 B.C. and that that is what Enoch was referring to, then we must accept that Jude was in error in saying that Enoch had written these words. He did not say "for it is written in the book attributed to Enoch" but referred to Enoch himself. If Jude, is then our source of authority on the question of canonicity for this book because he quoted from it, then we must also accept that the Bible contains an error and that Jude mistakenly thought that Enoch from the seventh generation from Adam was the author of this book.

That is what I mean by the term "authentic" and that is why I use the term "forgery."<snip>

James, I value your input on this thread. Honestly, I think your approach is the most objective in this thread. You're not an Enoch cheer-leader, like me, :p nor a nay-sayer, but appear to be objectively seeking answers. I find the prospect of replying to your posts daunting though, they're so long and raise so many issues! {phew!} but... I will try to take them on a bit at a time with your patience. I will need to take your points piecemeal though, as I think its more conducive for me in this format.

Let me start here, regarding the authenticity of Enoch, are you convinced we now have the Book of Enoch from which Jude quoted? At a minimum, I'm asking if the Book of Enoch we have via the Ethiopians and corroborated by the DSS, do you think it is "authentic" in the simple sense that it was the one Jude quoted? (Bear in mind my question is narrow and is not one asking for your judgment whether its author is Enoch the 7th from Adam.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Before I accepted any information which was unique to Enoch as fact, I spent quite a long time trying to find whether the book should be deemed authetically the same as the one quoted in the Bible. Once that objection was knocked down and once I became convinced it was the authentic words of Enoch, it was a short step to accepting it as one of the books of the Church's Bible. It has always been on some orthodox (small "o") communion's list of Biblical books.

In keeping with that process, I cannot simply accept the "Testament of Solomon" and the plethora of other books your promoting without a similar vetting process. Folks should not automatically do that sort of thing.

It seems to me, you owe it to your readers to reveal just why you feel this-or-that book was found to be reliable by you. You need to walk people through the rationalization process. You cannot expect folks to be persuaded that since you quote it, it must be true.

I'm a bit surprised by the methodology your using. I thought your book would be a straight commentary on the Book of Enoch, but rather it seems to be a commentary and synthesis of lots of books, and more didactic than commentary. In itself, that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I believe you are a sincere person and are not malicious at all but the title of your book "Commentary on the Book of Enoch" seems to be a misnomer to me.

By the way, a cursory reading of the Testament of Solomon has given me the distinct impression it is a book which endorses "white" magic.
I have let this pass
a couple times,
but you still persist in saying it...

I have not endorsed or even read
the 'testament of solomon'...

The Apocalypse of Isaiah I have
translated and endorsed...

where did you get the idea that I
support the testament of solomon...?

Upvote 0

jamescarvin

dummie
Feb 26, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟8,088.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
James, I value your input on this thread. Honestly, I think your approach is the most objective in this thread. You're not an Enoch cheer-leader, like me, :p nor a nay-sayer, but appear to be objectively seeking answers. I find the prospect of replying to your posts daunting though, they're so long and raise so many issues! {phew!} but... I will try to take them on a bit at a time with your patience. I will need to take your points piecemeal though, as I think its more conducive for me in this format.

Let me start here, regarding the authenticity of Enoch, are you convinced we now have the Book of Enoch from which Jude quoted? At a minimum, I'm asking if the Book of Enoch we have via the Ethiopians and corroborated by the DSS, do you think it is "authentic" in the simple sense that it was the one Jude quoted? (Bear in mind my question is narrow and is not one asking for your judgment whether its author is Enoch the 7th from Adam.)

I will offer you a short and then a long answer. The short answer is "I don't know if Jude was quoting it." The long answer gives the basis for my opinion.

I am not certain whether we have the book that Enoch quoted. The quote seems to come from 1 Enoch 1:9, yes. But Jude also is quoting directly from Enoch. This places me in the very uncomfortable position of having to accept not only that he is quoting from the book we possess today (to whatever extent modified by translations and possible redactions) and that Enoch was at least the original author. That thought would not feel so uncomfortable if it were not for the fact that the Jews did not accept the book as canon or refer to it during the entire formulation of their other books. Moses failed to mention it. The ommission is more than striking. This is, in fact, the point Augustine points to as his reason for rejecting the book - not that it was a toss up between that and the book of Revelation on account of lack of space. I would be happy to be corrected on that.

To further clarify, it is not on the authority of the Jews (which is not an opinion I care about), but on the authority of the canonical Jewish Scriptures that I find evidence that Enoch was probably not even an oral tradition, much less a written one. While I find that it is plausible that the book may have been preserved on the ark, or that Noah may have rewritten for the Scribe of Righteousness, serving as his faithful copyist and/or biographer, the ommission in both the MT and LXX of any reference to an Enoch corpus makes me believe that both the oral and the written tradition began around 200 BC.

I reconcile the fact that Jude quoted Enoch from the fact that if Enoch was raised to heaven, that the Son of God knew him personally, and could have transmitted this information to Jude, whom I find evidence to support to be an apostle, one of the twelve, not just a half brother. It is independent of 1 Enoch, which may now or then have possessed the same or a similar text at verse nine.

This first chapter, where the quote of Jude is found does not appear to have been found at Qumran, but does appear to have been in place in all the copy in several nations, though I have yet to see that with my eyes - I am only going by the report of Murjahel on that idea. To be honest, I am losing my confidence in Murjahel as a source. I will grant him lenience on the matter given that he is without power from Hurricane Ike. But he does seem to be returning to this thread despite it and has still not supplied any of the information I have requested.

What's more, my search of the Internet done with every expectation of confirming Murjahel's claims found that there were common misperceptions. Very few people who promote Enoch quote sources. Practically none. Therefore misinformation is multiplying. My search through the ECFs found very few quotes from 1 Enoch by very few fathers. Clement of Alexandria needs to be taken off of the list. Origen clearly didn't support it so he should be removed too. Ireneaus didn't quote Enoch as an authority. He only paraphrases from Jude. That is not an endorsement of the authenticity of the book, but of Jude. Only Baranabas and Tertullian seem to have taken the book seriously.

I should emphasize "only." There are approximately 35 ante-Nicene church fathers to search through for which we have extant writings and fragments. The list is not so long that a person can't pour through them in a week or two, which is exactly what I did, coming up only with this. Then going to the web and seeing how many people are saying that this book was revered by "many" and even "all" of the ECFs as if the church somehow scandalously suppressed it - basically, it amounts to hate mongering. And in every case I saw the person who created the web site had an agenda which exploited anti-catholic bias.

I am not here to apologize for any official church or denomination. I don't mind swimming upstream. I already poured through the ECFs once to inquire about chilliasm and found that 11 of the 35 pre 4th Century ECFs were chiliasts. The others were silent on the question. The first, and one of the only ECFs to oppose millennialism was in the third century - this came to prevail. This study showed that there was clearly a shift from first century to fourth century opinion, contrary to the claims of Catholic and Orthodox traditionalists. I was genuinely expecting to find the same thing here with the question of Enoch. But I did not.

Sorry to write another long post but you asked for my conclusion. It is premature to say. The fact that the Ethiopians Coptic/Orthodox accept the book as canonical is worth consideration. It shows that there was at least some element in the early church that did accept the book beyond Barnabas and the Montanists. However, it can't go without saying that the Ethiopians were clearly not very discriminating. No serious scholar accepts 3 Maccabees as authentic, for instance, as the Ethiopians do. As for the Montantists … well, that is a whole new topic (which I am very much interested in).

My study of Enoch and the Nephilim is not complete. I am still waiting to receive a copy of Murjahel's book. And I have still not even started to consider the internal evidence of Enoch. Proponents of the book are saying there is no inherant conflict between it and Scripture. I have read some web sites that disagree on that point. I don't necessarily agree with their disagreements in all matters. The more general question of canon is of interest to me and most sites take either a 66 or 72 book stance. You know who they are. It's the same old apologetics and loyalties talking all the time.

Having exhausted my search for the moment, just waiting to hear back from Murjahel, or anyone else who wants to chime in on all the questions I have raised, I will at this point start examining the internal evidence. There are two sides of that, as I see it. First, there is the question of the angelic hierarchy. Second, there are all the other matters, including eschatology, that comprise "sound Biblical doctrine." The idea is that if Enoch disagrees with "sound Biblical doctrine" then the book is not authentic.

I put "sound Biblical doctrine" in quotes because I understand that there is great disagreement about doctrine among Christians. I have my own opinions about many things. Everyone does.

I will begin the issue with the question about angels. I'm not sure if it was you who asked about angelic hierarchy. I don't recall seeing anyone write about the nine angelic orders here. I would like to know how Enoch's hierarchy fits in with the nine orders.

Since we're going by Orthodox canon to support Enoch's authority, we may as well use an Orthodox web site to consider the nine angelic orders:
http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/angels.html provides a pretty good summary and provides Scripture quotes to support it, so you will know that it doesn't just come from the ya yas. How does Enoch square up with this?

By the way, non-Orthodox sites also support the nine angelic orders view. Here is an example that includes angel's names that come from some of these referred to writings. It may help out. Notice that some of the angels are listed on more than one order. Kind of like saying - brown hair blue eyes, blue eyes blond hair. You get listed twice if you have blue eyes. See http://www.angel-guide.com/hierarchy-angels.html

Let me know your opinion. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: The_Joker
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I will offer you a short and then a long answer. The short answer is "I don't know if Jude was quoting it." The long answer gives the basis for my opinion.

I am not certain whether we have the book that Enoch quoted. The quote seems to come from 1 Enoch 1:9, yes. But Jude also is quoting directly from Enoch. This places me in the very uncomfortable position of having to accept not only that he is quoting from the book we possess today (to whatever extent modified by translations and possible redactions) and that Enoch was at least the original author. That thought would not feel so uncomfortable if it were not for the fact that the Jews did not accept the book as canon or refer to it during the entire formulation of their other books. Moses failed to mention it. The ommission is more than striking. This is, in fact, the point Augustine points to as his reason for rejecting the book - not that it was a toss up between that and the book of Revelation on account of lack of space. I would be happy to be corrected on that.

We have a plethora of literature from the period of 2nd temple Judaism which refer to The Book of Enoch. Personally, I find it incredible that a book should exist from before the time of Jude which people knew of and referred to and then Jude comes later and writes a quote which matches that book but is not from that book but from some other source?

To further clarify, it is not on the authority of the Jews (which is not an opinion I care about), but on the authority of the canonical Jewish Scriptures that I find evidence that Enoch was probably not even an oral tradition, much less a written one.
There is no difference between "the authority of the Jews" and "the authority of the canonical Jewish Scriptures", since the Jewish canon arose from Jewish authority. The canon of the Hebrew scriptures was not solidified until a generation after Christ simultaneous with the time when Judaism introduced its most far-reaching innovations decades after the destruction of the temple.

Further, the canon of the Hebrew scriptures or any canon for that matter, does not ONLY have significance in what it embraces, it also has significance in what it rejects. The Hebrew canon anathematised the Christian scriptures. If one is to have integrity in claiming they accept only the Jewish canon, they of necessity must leave out Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and the rest.

While I find that it is plausible that the book may have been preserved on the ark, or that Noah may have rewritten for the Scribe of Righteousness, serving as his faithful copyist and/or biographer, the ommission in both the MT and LXX of any reference to an Enoch corpus makes me believe that both the oral and the written tradition began around 200 BC.

I will begrudgingly give you the MT on this point for now, but not the LXX. Is it accurate to say the LXX leaves off reference to the Enochan corpus while embracing its story arc? There are multiple references to the saga of the Nephilim in the Greek Septuagint. I do not have my refences handy, but later tonight I will if you still need them...

I reconcile the fact that Jude quoted Enoch from the fact that if Enoch was raised to heaven, that the Son of God knew him personally, and could have transmitted this information to Jude, whom I find evidence to support to be an apostle, one of the twelve, not just a half brother. It is independent of 1 Enoch, which may now or then have possessed the same or a similar text at verse nine.
But then why wouldn't Jude disabuse his readers of the misconcenption they were likely to get that he was quoting the book that was circulating under Enoch's name at that time? If what you're posing is believable he would have needed to say something like, "I know y'all been reading that Enoch book, and I know y'all'r gonna think Ima quoting it now, but I ain't! I got this here quote of Enoch directly from the Lord who met with Enoch in heaven. I say this even though I know that book y'all been reading has the exact same quote in it!"

This first chapter, where the quote of Jude is found does not appear to have been found at Qumran,
That is factually incorrect. Again, when I get home, I will post the DSS fragment designation so you can independently check.
http://christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=48645933&postcount=96

but does appear to have been in place in all the copy in several nations, though I have yet to see that with my eyes

It is in place in all the Ethiopian copies. It is in place in the Aramaic copy found in the DSS as I mentioned above. I cannot speak about other copies.

- I am only going by the report of Murjahel on that idea. To be honest, I am losing my confidence in Murjahel as a source. I will grant him lenience on the matter given that he is without power from Hurricane Ike. But he does seem to be returning to this thread despite it and has still not supplied any of the information I have requested.

What's more, my search of the Internet done with every expectation of confirming Murjahel's claims found that there were common misperceptions. Very few people who promote Enoch quote sources. Practically none. Therefore misinformation is multiplying.
Take any truth of which you are certain and you will find plenty of people ready to cheapen it for you by making over-the-top claims without supporting evidence. That in no way disallows the underlying truth.

My search through the ECFs found very few quotes from 1 Enoch by very few fathers. Clement of Alexandria needs to be taken off of the list. Origen clearly didn't support it so he should be removed too. Ireneaus didn't quote Enoch as an authority. He only paraphrases from Jude. That is not an endorsement of the authenticity of the book, but of Jude. Only Baranabas and Tertullian seem to have taken the book seriously.

I should emphasize "only." There are approximately 35 ante-Nicene church fathers to search through for which we have extant writings and fragments. The list is not so long that a person can't pour through them in a week or two, which is exactly what I did, coming up only with this. Then going to the web and seeing how many people are saying that this book was revered by "many" and even "all" of the ECFs as if the church somehow scandalously suppressed it - basically, it amounts to hate mongering. And in every case I saw the person who created the web site had an agenda which exploited anti-catholic bias.

I am not here to apologize for any official church or denomination. I don't mind swimming upstream. I already poured through the ECFs once to inquire about chilliasm and found that 11 of the 35 pre 4th Century ECFs were chiliasts. The others were silent on the question. The first, and one of the only ECFs to oppose millennialism was in the third century - this came to prevail. This study showed that there was clearly a shift from first century to fourth century opinion, contrary to the claims of Catholic and Orthodox traditionalists. I was genuinely expecting to find the same thing here with the question of Enoch. But I did not.

I'll leave the ECF's to you for now. I know Nickelsburg covers that exhaustively in his Enoch commentary. I'll have to revisit that part of his book later tonight. For now I will state his conclusion was the earlier ECFs were more amenable to Enoch, but a gradual disenchantment arose among the ECFs culminating in the book's removal from the corpus of acceptable reading for Christians in the 4th century. Nickelsburg is hardly a "beleiver" in The Book of Enoch, I daresay.

You can miss Enochan references in the ECFs if they refer or allude to the Watcher/Nephilim saga without mentioning Enoch by name though.

Sorry to write another long post but you asked for my conclusion. It is premature to say. The fact that the Ethiopians Coptic/Orthodox accept the book as canonical is worth consideration. It shows that there was at least some element in the early church that did accept the book beyond Barnabas and the Montanists. However, it can't go without saying that the Ethiopians were clearly not very discriminating. No serious scholar accepts 3 Maccabees as authentic, for instance, as the Ethiopians do. As for the Montantists &#8230; well, that is a whole new topic (which I am very much interested in).

My study of Enoch and the Nephilim is not complete. I am still waiting to receive a copy of Murjahel's book. And I have still not even started to consider the internal evidence of Enoch. Proponents of the book are saying there is no inherant conflict between it and Scripture. I have read some web sites that disagree on that point. I don't necessarily agree with their disagreements in all matters. The more general question of canon is of interest to me and most sites take either a 66 or 72 book stance. You know who they are. It's the same old apologetics and loyalties talking all the time.

Having exhausted my search for the moment, just waiting to hear back from Murjahel, or anyone else who wants to chime in on all the questions I have raised, I will at this point start examining the internal evidence. There are two sides of that, as I see it. First, there is the question of the angelic hierarchy. Second, there are all the other matters, including eschatology, that comprise "sound Biblical doctrine." The idea is that if Enoch disagrees with "sound Biblical doctrine" then the book is not authentic.

I put "sound Biblical doctrine" in quotes because I understand that there is great disagreement about doctrine among Christians. I have my own opinions about many things. Everyone does.

I will begin the issue with the question about angels. I'm not sure if it was you who asked about angelic hierarchy. I don't recall seeing anyone write about the nine angelic orders here. I would like to know how Enoch's hierarchy fits in with the nine orders.

Since we're going by Orthodox canon to support Enoch's authority, we may as well use an Orthodox web site to consider the nine angelic orders:
http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/angels.html provides a pretty good summary and provides Scripture quotes to support it, so you will know that it doesn't just come from the ya yas. How does Enoch square up with this?

I scanned the article you sent. It reads like medieval scholasticism. I don't have a lot of patience with Medieval scholasticism admittedly. I balk at teachings which seek to show the "27 steps to..." or the "15 discoplines of..." or the "Seven levels of..." A lot of that sort of stuff hits me as very contrived and uniquely Western in orientation.

Since I did not thoroughly read the article you linked to, I will say this in my opinion... yes, The Book of Enoch is in conflict with that construct. Enoch speaks briefly, in passing about the Seraphim, Cherubim and Ophannim. The Ophannim are the wheels with eyes that support the chariot-throne of God. Citation later...

By the way, non-Orthodox sites also support the nine angelic orders view. Here is an example that includes angel's names that come from some of these referred to writings. It may help out. Notice that some of the angels are listed on more than one order. Kind of like saying - brown hair blue eyes, blue eyes blond hair. You get listed twice if you have blue eyes. See http://www.angel-guide.com/hierarchy-angels.html

Let me know your opinion. Thanks for your help!
Take care, I enjoy your posts! But please don't reply with a book! ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Here is the Dead Sea Scrolls fragment designation for the scroll fragment that includes Enoch 1:9, quoted in Jude.

4Q204 (4QEnc ar) 4QEnochc ar
Col. i(=1 Enoch 1:9-5:1;4Q201 i)

4Q204 is the fragment label. The 204th fragment catalogued from "Q"umran cave 4.

Also known as (4QEnc ar) and 4QEnochc ar, or Aramaic Enoch from cave 4.

Col. i = scroll column 1

1 Enoch 1:9-5:1 = is the passage of Enoch represented in the fragment.

4Q201 i is another scroll fragment which overlaps with the same section of Enoch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The following passages can be found in the LXX and allude to the events of Enoch; there are far more allusions than these, these are simply very plain.

By the way, contrary to an earlier post, 3 Maccabees is indeed a part of the LXX. I think you had it confused with "3 Maqabeyan" which is a Ethiopian composition with only the title in common with the LXX entry.

Genesis 6:1-4 (ESV), And after that men began to be multiplied upon the earth, and daughters were born to them. The sons of God seeing the daughters of men, that they were fair, took themselves wives of all which they chose. And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years. Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men and they brought forth children, these are the mighty men of old, men of renown.

Leviticus 16:7-10+26 (ESV), Then he shall take the two goats and set them before the LORD at the entrance of the tent of meeting. And Aaron shall cast lots over the two goats, one lot for the LORD and the other lot for Azazel. And Aaron shall present the goat on which the lot fell for the LORD and use it as a sin offering, but the goat on which the lot fell for Azazel shall be presented alive before the LORD to make atonement over it, that it may be sent away into the wilderness to Azazel. And he who lets the goat go to Azazel shall wash his clothes and bathe his body in water, and afterward he may come into the camp.

Isaiah 26:14 (Douay), Let not the dead live, let not the giants rise again: therefore hast thou visited and destroyed them, and best destroyed all their memory.

Wisdom 14:5-6 (RSV), It is thy will that works of thy wisdom should not be without effect; therefore men trust their lives even to the smallest piece of wood, and passing through the billows on a raft they come safely to land. For even in the beginning, when arrogant giants were perishing, the hope of the world took refuge on a raft, and guided by thy hand left to the world the seed of a new generation.

Baruch 3:26-28 (RSV), The giants were born there, who were famous of old, great in stature, expert in war. God did not choose them, nor give them the way to knowledge; so they perished because they had no wisdom, they perished through their folly.

3 Maccabees 2:3-4 (RSV), For you, the creator of all things and the governor of all, are a just Ruler, and you judge those who have done anything in insolence and arrogance. You destroyed those who in the past committed injustice, among whom were even giants who trusted in their strength and boldness, whom you destroyed by bringing upon them a boundless flood.

2 Peter 2:4 (ESV), God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment.

Jude 1:6 (ESV), The angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day.

Jude 1:14-15 (ESV), It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him."

If we look at other Jewish literature from the period of 2nd-Temple Judaism, the list of referants grows quite a bit. I only mention this becasue it has bearing upon what Jews of the period believed about the Watcher/Nephilim saga.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Heavenly Orders

Enoch 63:10-11, "And He will summon all the host of the heavens, and all the holy ones above, and the host of God, the Cherubin, Seraphin and Ophannin, and all the angels of power, and all the angels of principalities, and the Elect One, and the other powers on the earth and over the water. On that day shall raise one voice, and bless and glorify and exalt in the spirit of faith, and in the spirit of wisdom, and in the spirit of patience, and in the spirit of mercy, and in the spirit of judgement and of peace, and in the spirit of goodness, and shall all say with one voice: 'Blessed is He, and may the name of the Lord of Spirits be blessed for ever and ever.'"

Notice the "Elect One", the Messiah, is in the midst of the groupings; therefore we can derive despite there being hints of a heirarchy implied here, this is not an org-chart of ascending or descending authority since Messiah is over all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~GodsMouthpiece~

May 18, 2006
✟30,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heavenly Orders

Enoch 63:10-11, "And He will summon all the host of the heavens, and all the holy ones above, and the host of God, the Cherubin, Seraphin and Ophannin, and all the angels of power, and all the angels of principalities, and the Elect One, and the other powers on the earth and over the water. On that day shall raise one voice, and bless and glorify and exalt in the spirit of faith, and in the spirit of wisdom, and in the spirit of patience, and in the spirit of mercy, and in the spirit of judgement and of peace, and in the spirit of goodness, and shall all say with one voice: 'Blessed is He, and may the name of the Lord of Spirits be blessed for ever and ever.'"

Notice the "Elect One", the Messiah, is in the midst of the groupings; therefore we can derive despite there being hints of a heirarchy implied here, this is not an org-chart of ascending or descending authority since Messiah is over all.

Every kingdom has an hierarchy, or the King will have no one to do his bidding...Lines of authority are commonplace, because a kingdom divided cannot stand.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Every kingdom has an hierarchy, or the King will have no one to do his bidding...Lines of authority are commonplace, because a kingdom divided cannot stand.

Wow, GMP, you keep missing the point, don't you?

You criticise me for not thoroughly reading posts then proceed to do the same!

My point has always been there is a heirarchy that is ill-defined in scripture therefore we should not be dogmatic about its structure.

To my knowledge, no one on this thread has ever posted there is no angelic heirarchy.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have let this pass

a couple times,
but you still persist in saying it...

I have not endorsed or even read
the 'testament of solomon'...

The Apocalypse of Isaiah I have
translated and endorsed...

where did you get the idea that I

support the testament of solomon...?
My apologies for my misunderstanding. I read back over it and you're right its the Martyrdom of Isaiah. Where in Kings did you say it used to belong and why would Jews have removed it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0