Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nephilites need help

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Thedr, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thedr

Thedr New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Nephilites are a race of half breeds of angel and human, demons and humans, immortal beings which give morals the nudge to do heroic or demonic actions. Iam intrested in finding out about them are the true or fiction etc.

Genisis chapter 6 vs 4

4 In those days, and for some time after, giant Nephilites lived on the earth, for whenever the sons of God had intercourse with women, they gave birth to children who became the heroes and famous warriors of ancient times.

Does anyone know anything about them?

:help: N1k:help:

2. ScottBot

ScottBot Revolutionary

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I think Dan Brown is an expert on them.

3. fireman1173005

fireman1173005 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a NLT study bible and it says this. "These "giant Nephilites" were people probably nine or ten feet tall. This same Hebrew term was used to name a tall race of people in Numbers 13:33. Goliath, who was nine feet tall, appears in 1 Samuel 17. The giants used their physical advantage to oppress the people around them."

So I would say that they were neither half angel and half human nor half demon and half human. They apparently were giants like Goliath. And I believe if they were in the Bible they did exist.

Brian

4. ScottBot

ScottBot Revolutionary

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Catholic
    We need to get an expert on the Hebrew language and ancient Hebrew history to weigh in. Everything else is speculation.

The notion of angels and demons "breeding" with people implies that they have a physical body to make this happen. The bible says that they can take on the appearance and semblance of humans, but does not say that they have actual, physical bodies.

5. david_x

david_x I So Hate Consequences!!!!

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Protestant
    The Nephilites were around a long time but they were wiped out in the flood. Giants are a different subject.

6. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Member since March 7 2006

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Interesting topic. I would have to look at how that form of the Hebrew word is used in the rest of the OC.
    Let me study on this more.

05303 n@phiyl {nef-eel'} or n@phil {nef-eel'} from 05307; TWOT - 1393a; n m
    AV - giant 3; 3
    1) giants, the Nephilim

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

naphal (Strong's 05307) occurs 435 times in 403 verses:
    n@phiyl (Strong's 05303) occurs 3 times in 2 verses:

5303 nphiyl nef-eel' or nphil {nef-eel'}; from 5307; properly, a feller, i.e. a bully or tyrant:--giant.
    5307 naphal naw-fal' a primitive root; to fall, in a great variety of applications (intransitive or causative, literal or figurative):--be accepted, cast (down, self, (lots), out), cease, die, divide (by lot), (let) fail, (cause to, let, make, ready to) fall (away,
    Last time used:

(Young) Zechariah 11:2 Howl, O fir, for fallen/naphal (Strong's 05307) hath the cedar, For their honourable ones were destroyed, Howl, ye oaks of Bashan, For come down/yarad (Strong's 03381) hath the fenced forest,

(Young) Isaiah 13:3 I have given charge to My sanctified ones, Also I have called My mighty ones for Mine anger, Those rejoicing at Mine excellency.'

7. david_x

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Protestant
    I suppose we will know the world is really bad when people have sex with demons. Hmmmmm....(deep in thought)

8. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Catholic
    They died in the flood. Nephilim were the sons of angels and people, this eneded poorly

9. OntheDL

OntheDL Guest

This is mythology.

Angels and demons are spiritual beings. How can they have intercourse and produce offspring?

Genesis 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Genesis 7:14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.

God made every creature after its kind. Even in case of two species interbreeding, the offspring is not viable.

Guys, let the bible interpretes itself, not human opinions please.

Genesis 6:7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Here the Lord said he will destroy those wicked man whom He has created, not hybrids of man and angel.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

The sons of God simply the believers of God. Not angels.

The daughters of men are simply the descendents of unbelievers. The bible records many wicked women tempted Godly men.

This is classification: the offspring of Seth were believers. The offsprings of Cain were unbelievers. Genesis 6 basically recounts the believers intermarried the unbelievers and all became wicked.

10. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Member since March 7 2006

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Umm, Noah and his family survived though or else how could they come back later. ;)

[SIZE=+0](Young) Genesis 6:4 The fallen ones were in the land in those days, and even afterwards when sons of God come in unto daughters of men, and they have borne to them--they [are] the heroes, who, from of old, [are] the men of name. [/SIZE]

11. tulc

tulc bonitas non est pessimis esse meliorem

Faith:
    Christian
    Is this is one of those "half demon people live in the world today!!" kind of things? :scratch:
    tulc(also thought they died in the flood) :)

12. Disippelen

Disippelen Peaceful Crusader

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Numbers 13:33:

We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."

This happened well after the flood - in fact when Israel was moving into Canaan - that's about 1400 BC (?). The flood happened about 2500 BC (?) - so it's a long time after the Nephilim were supposed to be wiped out.

It brings up an interesting approach to it...:)

Also: search for "Anak", "Rephaites", "Rapha" and "Nephilim" on biblegateway and watch the results - you'll get a lot of references from the books of Moses, as well as Joshua, etc. and Samuels etc.

Dis:p

13. icedtea

icedtea New Member Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    One has to have the same chromosomes to successfully breed.
    Its some sort of metaphor
    Howard(who is no expert either)

14. david_x

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Protestant
    God did. :)

This is before the flood.

Nephilim only apperas twice in the bible. They seem to have been good at one time. Goliaths family were the only giants left, their house was destroyed. So I guess there are none left now.

15. billwald

billwald Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Why did God create angels with genatalia (sp?)?

16. david_x

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Protestant
    I didn't say that. I don't know if you were talking to me though. Not that he didn't!

17. Iollain

Iollain Jer 18:2-6

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Pentecostal

God did not have intercorse and create, God does not need intercorse to create, He created Adam from the earth and He created Jesus from Mary.

They were either fallen angels with women, or they were demon possessed men with women. But they cannot create a human without human-like anatomy.

18. david_x

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Protestant
    with mary

And then they did it how? Or you don't believe the book of books, Gods word?

19. Chickapee

Chickapee Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare [children] to them, the same [became] mighty men which [were] of old, men of renown.

Gen 10:8 And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.

always think of Nimrod ..Nimrod = "rebellion" or "the valiant"
    1) the son of Cush, grandson of Ham, and great grandson of Noah; a
    mighty hunter, he established an empire in the area of Babylon and Assyria

firm, a descendant of Cush, the son of Ham. He was the first who claimed to be a "mighty one in the earth." Babel was the beginning of his kingdom, which he gradually enlarged ( Gen 10:8-10). The "land of Nimrod" ( Mic 5:6) is a designation of Assyria or of Shinar, which is a part of it.
    Nephilim
    ( Gen 6:4; Num 13:33, R.V.), giants, the Hebrew word left untranslated by the Revisers, the name of one of the Canaanitish tribes. The Revisers have, however, translated the Hebrew gibborim, in Gen 6:4, "mighty men."

peace ,c

20. PETE_

PETE_ Count as lost, every moment not spent loving God

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Calvinist
    This word, translated “giants” in the King James Version, but retained in the Revised Version (British and American), is found in two passages of the Old Testament - one in Genesis 6:4, relating to the antediluvians; the other in Numbers 13:33, relating to the sons of Anak in Canaan. In the former place the Nephilim are not necessarily to be identified with the children said to be borne “the daughters of men” to “the sons of God” (Genesis 6:2, 4); indeed, they seem to be distinguished from the latter as upon the earth before this unholy commingling took place (see SONS OF GOD). But it is not easy to be certain as to the interpretation of this strange passage. In the second case they clearly represent men of gigantic stature, in comparison with whom the Israelites felt as if they were “grasshopers.” This agrees with Genesis 6:4, “the mighty men that were of old, the men of renow.” Septuagint, therefore, was warranted in translating by gigantes.
    Orr, J., M.A., D.D. 1999. The International standard Bible encyclopedia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.