Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I don't usually have this issue at other parishes, but one parish I attend, this year for Pascha, is giving me issues with my asthma. I love the smell of the incense, but the priest apparently uses enough charcoal in the censer to cense for five pascha services.

I've had to once step out for 15 minutes of service because I was on the verge of a full-blown asthma attack. The parish in question is closing because the priests are moving, but I may have to deal with the issue again.

How do I deal?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't usually have this issue at other parishes, but one parish I attend, this year for Pascha, is giving me issues with my asthma. I love the smell of the incense, but the priest apparently uses enough charcoal in the censer to cense for five pascha services. I've had to once step out for 15 minutes of service because I was on the verge of a full-blown asthma attack. The parish in question is closing because the priests are moving, but I may have to deal with the issue again. How do I deal?

Ah man I'm sorry to hear that bro. Do you use an inhaler? Would using one in a service be considered rude or disruptive? It seems like an understandable situation, I would think they wouldn't mind that. I remember a year ago when I went to a service the incense aggravated an itchy throat I had from allergies, luckily I managed to stymie any coughs but it made me wonder what I'm supposed to do if I were to have a coughing fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Ah man I'm sorry to hear that bro. Do you use an inhaler? Would using one in a service be considered rude or disruptive? It seems like an understandable situation, I would think they wouldn't mind that. I remember a year ago when I went to a service the incense aggravated an itchy throat I had from allergies, luckily I managed to stymie any coughs but it made me wonder what I'm supposed to do if I were to have a coughing fit.

It's a bit trickier. The inhaler works by corticosteroids. Charcoal smoke aggravates my lungs, the bronchioles tighten up, I use the inhaler, they open, more smoke goes in, making them tighten up more.

It's a bit of a spiral. I could wear a gas mask, but that might be only slightly odd looking, and my godfather would probably ask if I'm looking for my mummy

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's a bit trickier. The inhaler works by corticosteroids. Charcoal smoke aggravates my lungs, the bronchioles tighten up, I use the inhaler, they open, more smoke goes in, making them tighten up more. It's a bit of a spiral. I could wear a gas mask, but that might be only slightly odd looking, and my godfather would probably ask if I'm looking for my mummy

Yeah I see what you're saying, it would just be a vicious cycle. Man I can't imagine there being any alternatives in that situation, I wonder what the priest would say?

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,296,794.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As keeps being said to me - you do what you have to do :)

Thanks to my arthritis I can no longer stand as much as I should and want . My Confessor gives me a right telling off if he sees me struggling .

During the Midnight Service at 1 point one of the other priests spotted I looked in pain and just motioned at me that I was to sit . And I'm right at the front of the Church too.

Stand nearer an escape route and get out for a few minutes before you are really in trouble

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
As keeps being said to me - you do what you have to do :)

Thanks to my arthritis I can no longer stand as much as I should and want . My Confessor gives me a right telling off if he sees me struggling .

During the Midnight Service at 1 point one of the other priests spotted I looked in pain and just motioned at me that I was to sit . And I'm right at the front of the Church too.

Stand nearer an escape route and get out for a few minutes before you are really in trouble

My godfather noticed me getting lightheaded (unrelated to the asthma, more to Meneir's. I am a right bag of medical tricks) and unequivocally directed me to sit down. I've been learning. I just don't want to miss Communion because of it :/

The other parishes nearby don't do as badly. Father Stavros at the Greek parish hates smoke, so he uses only enough to get the incense going.

For personal use, I've found that incense cones work well as a replacement for charcoal if you have rock incense :) Less smoke and better smelling.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At Pascha last night I was feeling a little light-headed at times. Not sure if it was the incense or the fact there were TONS of people packed into that little church!?

I think you just need to sit in the back and go outside A LOT. If you tell Father, he'll understand. Better to be Orthodox and miss a few moments of DL than to NOT be Orthodox at all I'd say!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,429.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does it make a difference if powdered charcoal is used instead of the fast lighting brickettes? On Mt Athos they use powdered charcoal made from the prunings of the grape vines. There is no smoke at all from the charcoal, just the incense.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just wanted to say thanks for the thread. I have allergies to certain particles in smokes (?) which I find a little weird, but that's what the doc said. Cigarette is by far the worst.

The first place I went I had trouble with the incense, but I'm glad to say the other church (the one I fit in well and like most) doesn't bother me, so far. But I've thought about what if it does. Fr. censes some places more regularly than others, depending on the service. I was thinking I could sit far off in one corner if need be, and I have only seen him go to that place during one service.

Is your church by chance set up like that? Or is there somewhere else that might put you in clearer air?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't have any advice, but I hope our brothers and sisters here have helped you and that you are able to find a resolution to this issue.

Holy Thursday evening, the priest put out this censer (looks like a genie lamp...seen them before in my prior parish....comes out on special occasions) on the stand where Christ and the Cross were in the middle of the solea, and it was loaded with incense and such, and the incense was practically billowing up in large clouds. It filled the chapel pretty quickly. Some coughing was going on, and I told my friend I was next to "If it gets any stronger, I'll have to go into the narthex for a while. I can't imagine how people with asthma would deal with this." I also was concerned about the sprinklers or fire detector thing going off. lol That was the first time I'd seen so much at one time. It was unusual, for sure. It eventually died down before it got any worse.

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Does it make a difference if powdered charcoal is used instead of the fast lighting brickettes? On Mt Athos they use powdered charcoal made from the prunings of the grape vines. There is no smoke at all from the charcoal, just the incense.
It's the smoke from the charcoal that bugs me. The incense is something I personally use. The charcoal smoke is irritating.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would let the priest know how it affects you, and go from there. maybe he would let you take a breather for a while or use less in the censor.

I agree. If you let him know, he may try to be more careful with it.

Upvote 0