Need some opinions on the "Unpardonable Sin".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bluelion said:
... His free will in that matter was Gone. judas never ate the fruit, he tasted it, He new Jesus was God and yet rejected him any way and Heaven. He knew what he was doing, so he could never be saved after that and he never was saved.
It is a little more complicated than that, and a little more rigid, but this is closer, and may pass as having the necessary understanding to keep one from going too far the wrong way. You have a warning, which you intend to heed, and that is the biggest part of what you have right.

Also, you have a look at the grace of God for sinners who obey the command to repent and come to Him, and that is the source for life. That is vital to any who are seeking to enter in at the Strait Gate.

If you would like more particular direction for that, look at this small book by John Bunyan,

THE STRAIT GATE;
OR,
GREAT DIFFICULTY OF GOING TO HEAVEN:
PLAINLY PROVING, BY THE SCRIPTURES,
THAT NOT ONLY THE RUDE AND PROFANE,
BUT MANY GREAT PROFESSORS,
WILL COME SHORT OF THAT KINGDOM.

by John Bunyan

http://www.achristianspirit.com/StraitGate.html

Maybe there is a way we can discuss this, now, that does not seem to have us going in different directions. May the LORD bless you in your heart, and give you His peace.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It is a little more complicated than that, and a little more rigid, but this is closer, and may pass as having the necessary understanding to keep one from going too far the wrong way. You have a warning, which you intend to heed, and that is the biggest part of what you have right.

Also, you have a look at the grace of God for sinners who obey the command to repent and come to Him, and that is the source for life. That is vital to any who are seeking to enter in at the Strait Gate.

If you would like more particular direction for that, look at this small book by John Bunyan,

THE STRAIT GATE;
OR,
GREAT DIFFICULTY OF GOING TO HEAVEN:
PLAINLY PROVING, BY THE SCRIPTURES,
THAT NOT ONLY THE RUDE AND PROFANE,
BUT MANY GREAT PROFESSORS,
WILL COME SHORT OF THAT KINGDOM.

by John Bunyan

Strait Gate - aChristianSpirit

Maybe there is a way we can discuss this, now, that does not seem to have us going in different directions. May the LORD bless you in your heart, and give you His peace.

thank you brother for those kind words.

It is just that simple though.

I tried reading the book but I did not fully understand the first couple of pages, so I stopped. It is hard for anything other than God's word to hold my interest.

I disagree with Him that Jesus is not a literal door, He very much is. I did not understand the whole thing though. It's ok God want my attention else where.

So i can not comment on the book

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
thank you brother for those kind words.

It is just that simple though.

I tried reading the book but I did not fully understand the first couple of pages, so I stopped. It is hard for anything other than God's word to hold my interest.

I disagree with Him that Jesus is not a literal door, He very much is. I did not understand the whole thing though. It's ok God want my attention else where.

So i can not comment on the book
Thanks for trying, though. When we read these things through, we get a different picture than when we get a smattering, and compare it to what is taught these days.

I thought you may try reading my post #6 again, and see if you understand it differently. These posts are mostly short sermons. They take time in front of the computer, and different keyboards on different computers cause missed keys. These things require a lot of editing as well, so you may notice misspelled words, and widow sentences!!! It all takes time and attention to detail.

Thanks for looking at this with your heart open to God's word.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for joining in. Your input is welcome.

Do you get from the passage in Matt.12 that these pharisees were not going to find forgiveness in this world, nor would they find it in the world to come? Had they asked for forgiveness, would Jesus change His mind?
Hebrews 12
16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.
Was that different than the Apostle Paul, who rejected Jesus Christ??? Was it different than the Apostle Peter who denied he even knew Jesus???

Is there a difference in ALL MANNER OF SIN AND BLASPHEMY and BLASPHEMY OF THE HOLY GHOST? Are these on an equal footing, because transgression of the law in one point is to be guilty of all the law?

Mat 12 has been talked about a lot, as you know. Most people seem to think that God will always accept repentance. If a sin is mortal, it means that it prevents the person from ever wanting to repent. Heb 6:4 refers to such a situation. Note that is says specifically that after that kind of apostasy, repentance is impossible.

Mat 12 could certainly be referring to such a situation, but I don’t think it’s clear. Rejecting Christ in the form of attributing his work to Satan, will damn in the world to come. Perhaps this form of rejecting him reflects such a definitive rejection that one can never repent, i.e. it’s a Heb 6:4 situation. But I don’t think it’s clear that Mat 12 is saying that.

The question you ask, however, is whether there is a situation that damns you even if you repent. (You say, if Jesus will change his mind if you ask for forgiveness.) I don’t think Heb 12:17 says that. It says

“For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.”

The problem is the “it” near the end. Did Esau seek to repent and find it wasn’t accepted (reading “it” as “repentance”) or did he seek to get back his inheritance and find he couldn’t because he hadn’t repented (reading “it” as a reference to the blessing). Either is possible. I would prefer to read it in a way that is consistent with the rest of Scripture, which teaches that God will accept repentant sinners. Hence I understand the passage to say “even though he sought the blessing with tears.”

This is consistent with Calvin’s interpretation by the way, which is that Esau was upset at the loss of his blessing, but hadn’t seriously sought to repent. “that repentance here is not to be taken for sincere conversion to God; but it was only that terror with which the Lord smites the ungodly, after they have long indulged themselves in their iniquity.”

I would say that the difference from Paul and Peter is that both of them repented.

Note that Esau wasn’t just immoral. He was godless, which is a rejection of Christ. KJV translates “profane.” This doesn’t mean that he used bad words, but that he was irreligious. The first definition in dictionary.com is “characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things; irreligious.” The passage explicitly says that Esau didn’t repent (whether because he chose not to, or if you adopt the other reading, because he was unable to). That’s not true of either Paul and Peter.

While it’s not directly relevant to the issue here, the passage may well imply that he didn’t repent because God didn’t give him that gift. Here’s something from the Word commentary on this passage:

“The idiom τόπος μετανοίας [place of repentance] is strongly attested as a technical expression in teaching on repentance. It signifies an objective possibility for repentance granted by God.”

If you’re of the Calvinist persuasion, a reasonable conclusion may be that we shouldn’t look for exactly how far you have to go to be beyond repentance. Rather, you should attribute the difference between Esau (and the Pharisees) and Paul and Peter to God’s plan.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for trying, though. When we read these things through, we get a different picture than when we get a smattering, and compare it to what is taught these days.

I thought you may try reading my post #6 again, and see if you understand it differently. These posts are mostly short sermons. They take time in front of the computer, and different keyboards on different computers cause missed keys. These things require a lot of editing as well, so you may notice misspelled words, and widow sentences!!! It all takes time and attention to detail.

Thanks for looking at this with your heart open to God's word.

Your welcome and thank you for your kind response.

I went back and read post 6 and your are dead on with that and I agree completely. We are saying the same thing.

You wrote this was the second time they had done such a thing.

They new full well what they were doing, but out of hate they refused to accept God. Also another key word in the passage is spoke against The Holy Spirit.

Let me ask you a question. I met a guy in the hospital who truly believed he was The Holy ghost and he very much had real spiritual power, but I don't believe he was. Is this guy damn to hell for saying such a thing? I may have said it my self during a time, but I can not remember. I do not believe i am damn to hell. in fact i love God and that is proof i am saved. i could not love God and be damned for I would hate and curse God. I would at that point be a slave to satan, but I am a slave to God.

So is that guy who truly believed he was The Holy Ghost damned?

Also this is what has been going on in hospitals for years now, many many people think they are Jesus or God The Father or Angels, or demons. You remember all this was foretold in scripture.

Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... this is what has been going on in hospitals for years now, many many people think they are Jesus or God The Father or Angels, or demons. You remember all this was foretold in scripture.
35 years ago, I visited someone ion such a hospital, and got a sense of what you say being that way.

We are going beyond analyzing scripture, and getting more personal. Do you wish me to answer these things in open forum, or would you prefer to send a PM?

Let me know before I say too much here.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hebrews God swore those in the wilderness shall never
Enter his rest. Sounds unforgivable...
We speak in many ways....by our words, action, and non actions. You can tell me no
By shaking your head, with attitude...and mainly our
Heart speaks as well.....There are 2 types of sins one
Done in the body...saved......and a willful sin of one not included in the body based on rejecting
CHRIST. If you accepted The gospel and believed you have been given his spirit. And no one can say Jesus is accursed if they have his spirit...ephesians 1...we recieve the spirit. 1 Cor..cant say Jesus is accursed. The passage in HEBREWS..IS consider willfully sinning because you receive knowledge of the truth and reject that knowlege...and remain under the law where there is no covering..once you sin by breaking any command under the law. For wages for sin is Death....There is no forgiveness if one remains under the law of Moses. And falling away in that context would be going back under the law for righteosness when faith has came...speaking again against the holy spirit starts in the heart..and is many times confirmed by our words..words can be spoken..but actions speak too...regardless of all this...God knows who rejects him completely . TO KNOW THE MEANING is not judging..after reading a few scripts. .seems God presents Christ through Miracles..to Reject contually..is like what Judus did..after seeing with your own eyes...or even like giving a false testimony in court after knowing the truth. So if you reject the one who forgives sin..continually until death...then judge the from scripture what will happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hebrews 1216 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.[bless and do not curse]17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing,[bless and do not curse]he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

This is actually another good example...for it seems to me a bithright would give you rights...its like..if you want to be forgiven you cant reject the one who forgives.....

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
35 years ago, I visited someone ion such a hospital, and got a sense of what you say being that way.

We are going beyond analyzing scripture, and getting more personal. Do you wish me to answer these things in open forum, or would you prefer to send a PM?

Let me know before I say too much here.

well I'm protect by my user name. If you think some one could learn from our discussion let keep it public, but if you think it would be more suited to private then we can go to pm's

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews God swore those in the wilderness shall never
Enter his rest. Sounds unforgivable...
We speak in many ways....by our words, action, and non actions. You can tell me no
By shaking your head, with attitude...and mainly our
Heart speaks as well.....There are 2 types of sins one
Done in the body...saved......and a willful sin of one not included in the body based on rejecting
CHRIST. If you accepted The gospel and believed you have been given his spirit. And no one can say Jesus is accursed if they have his spirit...ephesians 1...we recieve the spirit. 1 Cor..cant say Jesus is accursed. The passage in HEBREWS..IS consider willfully sinning because you receive knowledge of the truth and reject that knowlege...and remain under the law where there is no covering..once you sin by breaking any command under the law. For wages for sin is Death....There is no forgiveness if one remains under the law of Moses. And falling away in that context would be going back under the law for righteosness when faith has came...speaking again against the holy spirit starts in the heart..and is many times confirmed by our words..words can be spoken..but actions speak too...regardless of all this...God knows who rejects him completely . TO KNOW THE MEANING is not judging..after reading a few scripts. .seems God presents Christ through Miracles..to Reject contually..is like what Judus did..after seeing with your own eyes...or even like giving a false testimony in court after knowing the truth. So if you reject the one who forgives sin..continually until death...then judge the from scripture what will happen.

The Jews in the wilderness could not enter because they had no faith. Not having faith is not unforgivable, what God did is look a head and see they would never have faith. In other words they brought down God's judgement on them. That is what happens when you have no faith, you bring down the judgement of God. If that is what you were referring to in with the Law you are right and I agree. God look to Jesus on the Cross with Abraham's sin so he was not judge because of his faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 1216 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.[bless and do not curse]17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing,[bless and do not curse]he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

This is actually another good example...for it seems to me a bithright would give you rights...its like..if you want to be forgiven you cant reject the one who forgives.....

you know something is not right with the site when the Bible is censored :confused:

Our birth right happens after we are reborn, until then we are born dead with no birth right at all. Ask your self, what birth right does a dead man have? What does a dead man actually own?

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It all falls under rejecting the prompting of the holy spirit...until I understood divorce a little better I would have added that as a possible answer. IT DOESN'T MATTER what anyone says it matters rather one csn present a logical argument..based on scripture. WHY DO These
THINGS ALL FALL UNDER REJECTION..? Because they are the outcome of the heart.

In the light that no one who has the holy spirit says Jesus is accursed. Point is not all sin is unforgivable but complete rejection of the spirit that offers forgiveness. And contributing the work of God to Satin could be a sign of ones rejection. YET WE ARE NOT THE FINAL JUDGE SO ONLY God knows that of that person. A hardening of the heart also falls under that umbrella of one that would reject the holy spirit. Today IF YOU HEAR MY VOICE DO NOT HARDEN THY HEART. ....

The Jews in the wilderness could not enter because they had no faith. Not having faith is not unforgivable, what God did is look a head and see they would never have faith. In other words they brought down God's judgement on them. That is what happens when you have no faith, you bring down the judgement of God. If that is what you were referring to in with the Law you are right and I agree. God look to Jesus on the Cross with Abraham's sin so he was not judge because of his faith.
My point is trying to make a connection..where we find examples for us today..Joshua which was in figure Jesus could not give them rest..and "today" is the day of rest offered again..to the people of God. The rest is comparable to eternal life that we find having faith in Jesus. YES WHILE FAITH IS THE KEY...POINT WAS HE SWORE THEY WOULD NOT ENTER..IF IT WERE UNFORGIVABLE THEN HE WOULD UNDO WHAT HE SWORE. BUT God rather it is as you say he forseen it or not still stated they would never enter..and point is they didnt because they didnt mix what they heard ..and I bet also expeienced and saw with faith. So by their own actions or non actions it seems to me they rejected God...It's impossible to please God without faith...Its not so much that lack of faith cant be forgiven...but I dont believe that was all the issue without mentioning they never entered.....what did they outward reject? GOD WAS WITH THEM...AND HIS POWERS WERE SHOWN..NOT ONLY BY THE PARTING OF THE red sea but God had taken care of them..and did many miracles in the face of them..I believe they to rejected God..Now you say how Abrahams sins were looked over...but you forgot to mention why. ABRAHAM LOOKED TO God..and his faith was credited first. Off the subject if we reverse what he swore its funny it seems the opposite is true that we are sealed by his spirit which is a promise..God who swares by himself or by his own words...just a thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you know something is not right with the site when the Bible is censored :confused:

Our birth right happens after we are reborn, until then we are born dead with no birth right at all. Ask your self, what birth right does a dead man have? What does a dead man actually own?
..Yes..sounds right to me..which adds to my point that one must be born again by faith in Jesus in order to recieve forgivess of sins after he is born...consider how God saves us by the washing and regenation of his spirit. We recieve the promting of his spirit by the power of the gospel and for many before us by miracles too..but if one rejects the prompting than he is not born again. IT IS ONLY AFTER HE IS BORN THAT HE haS ACCESS UNTO GOING DIRECTLY TO GOD FOR FORGIVESSNESS ON BEHALF OF Jesus who must be acknowledged. Because everything is made by him for him and through him. So in the same light I repeat you actually gave a good scripture as an example. If ya give up your birth right how will you receive the blessings that come through it. LIKEN TO IF YOU BLASPHEME THE HOLYSPIRIT..REJECTing Jesus..than how shall you be forgiven for your sins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
well I'm protect by my user name. If you think some one could learn from our discussion let keep it public, but if you think it would be more suited to private then we can go to pm's
The reason is because I could be little or no help to you if I know nothing about how all that happened to you.

The truth is that people sitting in Church listening to good sermons are not likely to have the things you mentioned come upon them, unless they are secretly doing something else. They may be playing games with bad things on the side. That is the very least of what I mean.

There are people who never get anywhere near things of God's word in their life. They are steeped in bad things all their lives, and these thing do not let go of them so easily. Also, the people do not like letting go of these things, because there seems to be something they like about it.

Next thing, the person is in a place they cannot seem to recover from, and the doctors are at a loss to help. Actually, the subject of these troubles seems to be a little off the topic here. That you have any concern for the things of God is a good sign that there was not an actual committing of the Unpardonable Sin.

The idea of what you were worried about, for you or the other people, may be very complicated, and an expert who deals with that may be better at sorting out these things. It seems that there are MANY things you are reading that are not the Bible, and it seems that reading something specific to what your need is would not be such a chore as it seemed when you began reading the books I suggested. That needs to be handled as well.

This is a little of what needs to be said, and only a small part of any of it has to do with the Unpardonable Sin. The thought that you are sure you know what that is should include you know (better than anyone on Earth) whether you did that kind of thing (manner of sin and blasphemy.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Holy Spirit is declaring Christ to us. He reveals the Lord to the Lost. He convicts a sinner of unrighteousness. The Holy Spirit GLORIFIES CHRIST!

Jn 16:14-15 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you. All things theat the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you.

Jn 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment.

Jn 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the
Father, even the Spirit of Truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me.

The Holy Spirit was glorifying Christ in Mat 12, He was Testifying Christ was the Son of God by miricles. The actions of the Pharisees denied both, Christ’s glory and Christ divinity.

The Pharisees were denying Christ!

Now I do understand that the Holy Spirit does much more than this. He empowers us, regenerates us, teaches us, sanctifies us, fills us, leads us, produces fruit in us, yet none of that happens without coming to the knowledge of Christ.

There is a point, in a man’s life where he is given over to his sin. Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; What knowledge are they rejecting…Jesus! Gen 6:3 My Spirit will not always strive with man… We do know that God’s Spirit has been with man throughout the ages, Moses, Elijah, Elisha, David, John the Baptist and now the church. After the resurrection, His Spirit was poured out Acts 2:7. No one knows, how many times the Holy Spirit will declare Christ to a man. There is a point where a man completely rejects Christ. My Spirit will not always strive with man….he is given over to a reprobate mind.

The Pharisees were doing the exact opposite of this…1 Jn 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God.

Don’t just read the words of Mat 12, read the actions as well. The Holy Spirit was testifying, Glorifying Christ in Mat 12. In Mat 12:23, just before the Pharisees spoke, the people were coming to the truth. Is this the Son of David, (is this the Christ)! The Pharisees were reacting to the crowd….

The Pharisees were denying Christ!

In Christ
Daniel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
you know something is not right with the site when the Bible is censored
I make a habit of disabling a few things here, including "Disable smilies in text" so these machines and programs don't mistake the significance of punctuation in scripture passages. The old style of putting things like that in text are found often in the punctuation of Bible verses.

One time, i quoted a 400 year old statement by William Bradford from the Mayflower. There was a word about things that slowed work and industry that has, on occasion, been used as a slang term for people whose minds are slowed. That was censored, to my dismay.

Upvote 0

Dan61861

Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Apostle Peter denied Christ three times. Was that the Unforgivable / Unpardonable Sin?

Of course not, Peter did not die in his sins, he came to the knowledge of Christ.
As I said above, the Spirit of God will not always strive with man. God wasn't done with Peter, yet with Judus it was over.

Was the Holy Spirit testifying of Christ in Mat 12?
Was the Holy Spirit glorifying Christ in Mat 12?

Were the people coming to the knowledge of Christ in Mat 12? Is this not the Son of David!

Were the Pharisees reacting to the crowd? Weren't the Pharisees the blind leading the blind...both fall into the pit.

Don't just read the words, read the actions as well.

In Christ, my friend
Daniel

Upvote 0

Dan61861

Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Apostle Peter denied Christ three times. Was that the Unforgivable / Unpardonable Sin?

Another point, Peter never deny who Christ was...he denied knowing him.

As Jesus said to Peter, Who do you say that I am...Peter said, you are the Christ. Jesus said, it is the Father in heaven that reveals this to you.

In Christ
Daniel

Reactions: DeerGlow
Upvote 0

Avid

Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... I disagree with Him that Jesus is not a literal door, He very much is. I did not understand the whole thing though...
In context, Bunyan shows more depth of usage of the English language than we are used to. He states the essence of the meaning of these scripture passage, but does not reduce them to a less useful elementary level.

I was asked to answer (so many years ago) what a particular passage meant. I could not properly answer BECAUSE of the degradation of the society in which I was raised. We look back at centuries past, and think certain aspects of society were too tough, or too restrictive. The fact is, in the context of the question I was asked, the terminology was not so foreign as it was to me. May give more on that unrelated thing if you really wish to know...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.